Newbie stroke survivor

On Monday June 10th, 2019, I had surgery to repair a hiatal hernia. On Tuesday, June 11th, I had an endoscopy, which showed that my stomach had reherniated. On Wednesday, June 12th, I had surgery to repair the hernia again. On Friday, June 14th, I had a stroke. It was a cerebral stroke, and affected my left side ( I'm left-handed, so it has been an interesting year). The docs said they do not know what caused the stroke, but since it didn't originate in my heart or lungs, chances are good that I won't have another. Thanks be to God, I'm not strapped to a wheelchair, drooling everywhere. I have some residual weakness on my left side but I'm now walking without the cane.

There aren't too many good sides to this thing, so grab the ones you can. Sounds like a side effect of your surgery caused your stroke (one of those things they warn you about in the pre-surgery discussions.) Overall you had a pretty good outcome. even though strokes suck.  Nice to hear from you, welcome to the club no one chooses to join.

-Heather

Hello Lynne!

Welcome! I call us the night shift, as we are down under.

I'm so sorry to read about your health issues, then the stroke.

I too, lost the use of my dominant side. It does get easier.

Looking forward to sharing with you. Also, no question is silly. And venting is definitely allowed. 

💚👑

Hello and welcome to the Stroke Network.

I'm terribly sorry that all had happened to you .  I can't wait to meet you and talk more :)

Well howdy fellow lefty with a damaged left side. I stroked on Feb. 14th 2015. I was 64 and 8 months and just 4 months short of being on Medicare.  So oh boy we get to deal with learning to be right handed. At 75 you knew long ago that it's a right handers world. That you will find slightly helpful for a change. You of course will work it out as we are forced to do but I do comment to my wife from time to time how I miss the use of that left paw. I was told brain bleeds like these kill 1 in 4. So that and the fact that we are unlikely to have a another stroke is something good. I do also walk/hobble and a cane is optional but I do like it handy for those middle of the night trips. Best of luck with your recovery and visit often. Our like kind is here full of great information and suggestions. 

On 9/8/2020 at 10:18 AM, Gran2zach said:

Oh, I'm 75 years old. One good side effect of the stroke is that I was in the hospital for 22 days on a mostly liquid diet, lost 37 lbs, and haven't put any of it back on.😊

may I say that your post truly was the highlight of my day!! Always look on the bright side of life

Archived