Hello everyone

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks,Heather. I think that I saw a picture of one about a  yr. ago, but it was labelled as "a round tent". I was very curious about it, which is probably why I remember it so well. 

GQ, what is "glamping"?  Geez, I'm learning a whole new vocabulary here. Maybe I should take notes. Becky

Glamping= glamorous camping. Camping without the hardships. We now have tent hotels in a few places, i.e. four/five star resorts under canvas, You get a real bed in a semi permanent tent with electricity and all mod cons.  There's one on the top of a building here in Melbourne city.  https://www.traveller.com.au/st-jeromes--the-hotel-review-rooftop-glamping-in-melbournes-cbd-ghy91h

Heather , that looks like so much fun and for me. I like roughing it, as they say, but since stroke, I can't handle it

If you are interested in wildlife,  there are fixed tents like that at various Southern African reserves that I have stayed at.  If you are interested and can cope with long-distance travel, Etosha Pan (Namibia) has 5-star arrangements,  I have seen some in Zimbabwe (especially on the Zambezi river), but their current state is unknown.  And the most amazing of the lot was in Zambia -- basic accomodation (2- or 3-star rather than 5-star in Etosha), but the animals wander around really close to the site in the evenings, looking for unwary tourists

And Kruger Park in South Africa has  5-star+ accommodation, guided nighttime tours; the whole catastrophe.

And if you are paying in US$, it is frighteningly cheap, even with the "foreign tourist" surcharges.

More to add to the bucket list once the virus situation is more under control. Right now I can't even travel out of the city. Fingers crossed our state borders are opened before Christmas. Goodness knows when our international border will open and how much flights are going to cost once it does.

Exactly Heather.  Prices for travel will be very interesting. 

I really want to visit Napier in deigh's next of the woods. Hopefully because it's in the bubble it won't be too bad...

💚👑

• 2 months later...

LG that's a big step. So sorry that this decision had to be made, but good on you for putting your foot down.

My first thought would be Google.

I know you are time poor, so this might be easier than phone calls etc to start with.

All the best with the search

💚👑

Thank you for your responses. It was not an easy decision but like I have.been told many times, no one should be abused. I have been, and I refuse to continue with it. The problem is - - he only has a 15 second to 20 minute memory retention. How can I discuss ANYTHING with him when he doesn't remember? I've given up making Dr.  Appointments, he adamantly refuses to go. Even with the cancer tests. I don't know for sure if he has it or not. I'm so tired of being upset and angry all the time, I'm ready and looking forward to building the house on MY property - - alone. I'm sure that after everything is said and done, I'll have a good cry. Then start my new life. 47 years is a long investment to through away, but only I remember that. I'd better stop now, I'm getting emotional. Oh yes, one more thing. He doesn't remember me proposing to him. In fact, when he lost the engagement ring, he shrugged. Perhaps I should just keep typing rather editing. Talk about "kicked in the teeth a few times". My Astranged father died December 30,2020 at 5:30am. And now I'll be walking away from my lover. Dealing with both at the same time aint easy. I don't feel about my father's death like I thought I would for the last 50 Years.. I wished for his death, and now I feel grief and relief at the same time. Odd feeling. I told mom and Sis I wanted to put a glass unicorn with a twisted and surgical sharp needled horn in his ashes. I don't think I'll get the chance though, he wanted to be buried in the military cemitary. Rightly so - he was a medic in Korea. I'll probably post again later I'm getting sleepy.

Edited by LgSeaunier
added thoughts of interest

LG. I'm  SORRY YOUR PLANS DIDN'T WORK QUITE AS WELL AS  YOU HOPED. Call the ;local hospital and talk to the HOSPITAL social worker. Or, you can call the local crisis intervention worker for the Mental Health Center- this service is available 24/7. Or, if you feel that he will be combative, call the police as they can transport him safely to the hospital, not to arrest him but to get him evaluated, which has to happen anyway before he can be placed anywhere. You cannot place him by yourself. You need to have a doctor's referral. If your friend has a personal doctor, you can also ask them if they would help you. I have given you the bare bones of what needs to happen, but this process may vary from state to state, 

Good luck to both of you.     Becky

Lg, I don't know how long it wiil take. It depends on a lot of things. I'm guessing that what may take the longest may be assessing him to figure out what he needs and then finding a place which meets those needs.   Becky

• ksmith pinned this topic
  • 4 weeks later...

Though I'd  report what's happened. February 10 2021 I put my engagement ring back in its ring box, it doesn't mean anything to either of us anymore. On the 11th I made a report to DSHS for abuse. This, I feel, is the beginning of the end of this. It's OK though, I have a bright future ahead of me. 

Edited by LgSeaunier
Wrong month

I (like Becky) was wondering how things have been progressing with you. I honestly read your entries often at 1st and knew you were giving 100 and 50 percent and getting no where. I thought oh brother this doesn't sound like it is going to be possible at times for you. I'm so glad to hear that in spite of the pain you are going to move on and have a life. You never asked for this situation and did all you could like us here to change it to no avail. Good luck LG! ONWARD! 

Thank you Becky & Willis. It's nice to know that someone out there thinks about me from time to time. My family has pushed me out of their lives & now I live with a man I can hardly stand anymore. My life has changed one thousand percent from just a short time ago. It's okay though. Now at least I can do all the things I've pushed aside because nobody thought my creative desires were worth pursuing. Yes. I've been kicked in the teeth all my life and now, perhaps, just perhaps, I can make a life I've always dreamed of having. You see, I've always dreamed of being an author. It's a solitary profession and I've forever had story ideas. People highly discouraged (to put it mildly) me from even wanting the desire to pursue them. I have 40 acres of solitude that I can write, sculpt make a pipe organ - you heard that right - I have books teaching how to make one. Design and make jewelry in my own shop, and many other creative things. I will and never be bored. In fact, I've always, since I was 5 and younger, wanted a big parcel of land and plop my house smack dab in the middle of it, just so people couldn't come too close without MY permission. 

I think I'll dig out my robotic construction books and figure out what my security robot should look like  !! Maybe he should be a marionette master. Ha!! There's a thought 😂

Well now. That little piece of information  should open up a lively little discussion I think!

Edited by LgSeaunier
Couldn't resist adding the robot

Hi LG it sounds like you have the perfect spot for where you need to be right now. All your activities sound like fun and you certainly will have enough to keep you busy. I want more info on your robot! Is it also going to clean house for you. It certainly needs to screen your phone calls, and monitor the state of your fences (either fix them itself or let you know when it needs doing). At the family property where I run away to when I can, we have constant issues with the weather dropping trees across either our access tracks or the fences.  One of my jobs when staying there is to walk the boundaries and tracks, and report back to Dad on work that's required.

Will the robot make friends with the wildlife on your property? and will it let us come visit if we ever end up in your part of the world?  Just remember that some social interaction is good for you. But enjoy hermitting for a while if its what you need at the moment.

So nice to hear from you again. Please keep us posted.

-Heather

LG, Yes you are heard. I've followed all your posts since your started this thread. Though in my situation I've not much to say mostly because I've really nothing all that constructive to add. I'm not the greatest person to give any advise when it comes to relationships, especially abusive ones. I would only tell somebody that nobody deserves any kind of abuse. My parents were very dysfunctional and I've no stomach for it. It takes great strength to get away from abuse, and I've seen too many compromises made because either spouse thought it was worth salvaging. Sure an argument here, or there is almost natural between personalities, but outright abuse isn't acceptable and often harmful to those around, especially children who may pattern behaviors from exposure over the years, it happened in my family. It was only when my mother finally left that she gained peace and lived a life she never knew was possible, and free to be her real self. Yes they did try therapy and intervention but sometimes it's to difficult for individuals to change behaviors. In the end it was the best thing that could have happened for either of them. They became good people once again, and still respected one another. My sister and I benefited also as we both were able to enjoy our parents individually at their best. So, my advice would have been premature to express my opinion to live separate lives as everybody deserves to make those choices on their own, in their own timeframe. 

The best thing I could do for you is say a prayer, and let God work, he is way more wiser than I. But you were never forgotten.

Thank you Heather. You brought up ideas I haven't thought of for a robot. I have robot construction books, programming books, even a book on how to make the skin warm to the touch. How to make the mouth move to form the words as he speaks. I'd have a ball with him! Then, after all the building and programming, to stand back and watch the fruits of the labor. Watch and interact with him. Can you imagine the feeling?! If friends on this network want to visit, I'd be thrilled and welcome you with open arms.

Will. You and I are much alike. For the first 16 years of my life, my father beet me with my own belt. The reason I hate being called Daddy, sometimes he beet me for an hour, and I pleaded, "Daddy please stop" it fell on deaf ears and sometimes made it worse. So yes. You understand me. Thank you for opening up to me. You almost made me cry, some people do understand. Another piece of hidden me. I vowed at a very young age, early grade school, I was never going to have children because of my father. I never wanted to revert to him and treat my son or daughter like he did. I HAVE NEVER REGRETTED THAT VOW FOR ONE MOMENT. And now, history is repeating itself. I MUST STOP THE CYCLE.  and I will. Thank you for your prayers Will. God must have heard you. 

A caseworker came to the house today. I privately told her I couldn't do it anymore. She said "when you know it's time... " I nodded and said its time. "placement then?" she asked. I said yes. She will be working on placement for my lover. You know - - when she drove away, a huge relief came over me. 

Just thought I'd report.