• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks,Heather. I think that I saw a picture of one about a  yr. ago, but it was labelled as "a round tent". I was very curious about it, which is probably why I remember it so well. 

GQ, what is "glamping"?  Geez, I'm learning a whole new vocabulary here. Maybe I should take notes. Becky

Glamping= glamorous camping. Camping without the hardships. We now have tent hotels in a few places, i.e. four/five star resorts under canvas, You get a real bed in a semi permanent tent with electricity and all mod cons.  There's one on the top of a building here in Melbourne city.  https://www.traveller.com.au/st-jeromes--the-hotel-review-rooftop-glamping-in-melbournes-cbd-ghy91h

Heather , that looks like so much fun and for me. I like roughing it, as they say, but since stroke, I can't handle it

If you are interested in wildlife,  there are fixed tents like that at various Southern African reserves that I have stayed at.  If you are interested and can cope with long-distance travel, Etosha Pan (Namibia) has 5-star arrangements,  I have seen some in Zimbabwe (especially on the Zambezi river), but their current state is unknown.  And the most amazing of the lot was in Zambia -- basic accomodation (2- or 3-star rather than 5-star in Etosha), but the animals wander around really close to the site in the evenings, looking for unwary tourists

And Kruger Park in South Africa has  5-star+ accommodation, guided nighttime tours; the whole catastrophe.

And if you are paying in US$, it is frighteningly cheap, even with the "foreign tourist" surcharges.

More to add to the bucket list once the virus situation is more under control. Right now I can't even travel out of the city. Fingers crossed our state borders are opened before Christmas. Goodness knows when our international border will open and how much flights are going to cost once it does.

Exactly Heather.  Prices for travel will be very interesting. 

I really want to visit Napier in deigh's next of the woods. Hopefully because it's in the bubble it won't be too bad...

💚👑

• 2 months later...

LG that's a big step. So sorry that this decision had to be made, but good on you for putting your foot down.

My first thought would be Google.

I know you are time poor, so this might be easier than phone calls etc to start with.

All the best with the search

💚👑

Thank you for your responses. It was not an easy decision but like I have.been told many times, no one should be abused. I have been, and I refuse to continue with it. The problem is - - he only has a 15 second to 20 minute memory retention. How can I discuss ANYTHING with him when he doesn't remember? I've given up making Dr.  Appointments, he adamantly refuses to go. Even with the cancer tests. I don't know for sure if he has it or not. I'm so tired of being upset and angry all the time, I'm ready and looking forward to building the house on MY property - - alone. I'm sure that after everything is said and done, I'll have a good cry. Then start my new life. 47 years is a long investment to through away, but only I remember that. I'd better stop now, I'm getting emotional. Oh yes, one more thing. He doesn't remember me proposing to him. In fact, when he lost the engagement ring, he shrugged. Perhaps I should just keep typing rather editing. Talk about "kicked in the teeth a few times". My Astranged father died December 30,2020 at 5:30am. And now I'll be walking away from my lover. Dealing with both at the same time aint easy. I don't feel about my father's death like I thought I would for the last 50 Years.. I wished for his death, and now I feel grief and relief at the same time. Odd feeling. I told mom and Sis I wanted to put a glass unicorn with a twisted and surgical sharp needled horn in his ashes. I don't think I'll get the chance though, he wanted to be buried in the military cemitary. Rightly so - he was a medic in Korea. I'll probably post again later I'm getting sleepy.

Edited by LgSeaunier
added thoughts of interest

LG. I'm  SORRY YOUR PLANS DIDN'T WORK QUITE AS WELL AS  YOU HOPED. Call the ;local hospital and talk to the HOSPITAL social worker. Or, you can call the local crisis intervention worker for the Mental Health Center- this service is available 24/7. Or, if you feel that he will be combative, call the police as they can transport him safely to the hospital, not to arrest him but to get him evaluated, which has to happen anyway before he can be placed anywhere. You cannot place him by yourself. You need to have a doctor's referral. If your friend has a personal doctor, you can also ask them if they would help you. I have given you the bare bones of what needs to happen, but this process may vary from state to state, 

Good luck to both of you.     Becky

Lg, I don't know how long it wiil take. It depends on a lot of things. I'm guessing that what may take the longest may be assessing him to figure out what he needs and then finding a place which meets those needs.   Becky