Cognitive Behavioral Therapy

ksmith

We hear cognitive behavioral therapy and sometimes we assume it has to do with thinking and understanding tasks.

Well that is correct, but Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is the thinking of ourselves and problem solving to help our own mental health.  This is a great site to help explain the how, what and why Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.    ( this is where I got this work sheet from)

"Cognitive-behavioral therapy aims to change our thought patterns, our conscious and unconscious beliefs, our attitudes, and, ultimately, our behavior, in order to help us face difficulties and achieve our goals"

This worksheet has hot and cold thoughts. We tend  to think the HOT   thoughts but we need to think the COLD  thoughts. Again, better said than done. I still struggle with the thinking but I am happier now overall.  This took me years to change my thinking about things and I didn't have a partner that truly understood what that entails.  They had similar thinking as me . Now I'm told I'm to "zen".  Having cognitive and brain damage ( call it what it is) to certain parts of your brain can make  this a hard journey. I have to restart my thinking depending on the day sometimes. This is just an example of what CBT ( Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) (Mayo clinic) is and how it helped me.  ( sorry its blurry)

26661f0df62ea46208c3c24fc2117b38--bible-journal-mental-health.jpg

1.jpg

Thanks you Kelli

I want on two CBT courses post-stroke, which helped for a while, but with my memory issues I kept forgetting to use it, or if I remembered I forgot how to do it, and would generally end up feeling worse.

This is great -- I have printed it & stuck it to the wall in my "quiet space", so that I can run through the steps easily when I am feeling overwhelmed, depressed or angry.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2020 at 3:21 PM, PaulNash said:

Thanks you Kelli

I want on two CBT courses post-stroke, which helped for a while, but with my memory issues I kept forgetting to use it, or if I remembered I forgot how to do it, and would generally end up feeling worse.

This is great -- I have printed it & stuck it to the wall in my "quiet space", so that I can run through the steps easily when I am feeling overwhelmed, depressed or angry.

I can totally understand about the memory.  good idea about printing them out. After a while you can notice your brain making the corrective thoughts.. It's hard..  It took me literally 5 years 

On 10/23/2020 at 9:22 AM, GreenQueen said:

Thanks for these Kelli

💚👑

One thing that was the hardest thing to realized was , and this was the example my Dr gave me, 

When you go into a restaurant, or where ever, and you , in your mind, already 'hear' the other diners talking about how you walk or look just thing of when you were with friends and you saw someone walk in, you might glance at them and go right back to your bubble. No one really cares.. I think that's why now I really don't care what people think of me.. years of therapy. But it's true.  We are self conscience of ourselves that we begin to  "mind read' . That is one of the thought changes we can make to love our cognitive health :wink: 

1 hour ago, ksmith said:

When you go into a restaurant, or where ever, and you , in your mind, already 'hear' the other diners talking about how you walk or look  :wink: 

So True!!

But yes...they really don't care!

💚👑

Not sure if it's the same thing, but I used to be extremely self conscious about my arm. but over the years I've realised  that most people don't see it doesn't work until it is pointed out to them that I need some assistance please. What really bought it home to me is that when new people start working in our office they might mention that I walk funny and ask why,but they very rarely mention my arm/hand.

Heather I find that too.

A lot of people say they don't notice I don't use my arm.

Very weird, as I feel it's very noticeable. 

The joys of seeing it from the outside, I guess. 

Are you enjoying your new freedom?

💚👑

"Freedom" is good, went to a restaurant for dinner on Friday night. first time this year!  Moving to our holiday house on Sunday until the end of the year. Going to do a part time holiday. Spread 2 weeks leave over 6 weeks, with work from home so I can enjoy the bush and visit with Mum and Dad a bit.

good for you Heather. Have fun!!!!!

• ksmith pinned this topic