There is a new statistic tonight... Those words are so cold to me.

Today, I visited my sister at her office. She is a real estate agent. One of her co-workers is a super kind lady, her name is Bonnie. My sister told me that Bonnie's husband just had a massive stroke that affected the center of his brain. He is on life support and after testing his brain function the reality became clear. His Dr. explained that he is basically brain dead and the only thing to keep his heart beating is the life support. He will only be in a vegetative state if left to live on life support. So, Bonnie is in the process of allowing the Dr's to remove his life support so he can pass in peace. Wow, this news took my breath away. I am so sorry for Bonnie and her family's loss. He is 80 but was very active at his age. I don't compare situations but it reminds me that I met death about 5 and a half years ago... We laid on the floor and had a conversation. It was utter chance that I survived my stroke. I am so humbly reminded of how each new day I wake up is such a blessing and nothing is ever guaranteed. So send a prayer for Bonnie, her husband and family. May he rest in peace...and breathe in and feel the blessing of your life. 🙏🏼❤️

Sorry Tracy.😔 It's so easy (for me at least) to forget about the tragedy all around us until we hear things like this. I get so caught up in trying to fool this stroke and have something like a life I forget just how good it is to be here scheming and swinging away. The fact that another persons tragedy hurt you like this speaks to who you are Tracy and the kind of heart you have. I believe those are the things God loves to see in his people. I will pray for his wife's peace and strength. I saw a gal whom I didn't know real well in the small high school I went to at our 50 year reunion. We all knew each other by name at least. She knew my situation and what I was fighting. She says to me "You're a surviver." Such simple words but they hit me like a punch! Valentines was my 6 year anniversary so we've been fighting close to the same amount of time and we are "survivors!"

'

Willis thank you! Yes, we ARE survivors and we Are fighters. I agree... It's so easy to lose sight of our survivor blessing. We deal with struggles, life happenings, and just like any human we get caught up in our world. When my sister told me this yesterday it just smacked me in the face. My heart was instantly hurt. My sister said she didnt understand that he was talking and sipping water before he made it to the hospital and declined. I explained to her that stroke is stealthy and vicious it doesn't always get to its worst immediately and once it goes to that point of no return it steals a person's life. I told I was just lucky, honestly, just lucky. I know how it could have been different. It's a reality I have had to process myself. I am blessed to be a survivor... So blessed. My heart goes out to those who succumb and to their families. I realize how little control I have in the grand scheme of things. I try to learn how to find joy, happiness, and hope in even the simple days. Thank you and it tells me where your heart is as well. ❤️

Yes, it is being lucky as much as anything else that determines who survives and thrives and who succumbes but it is effort that makes a difference in recovery. Ray had a lot of strokes large and small over a 12 year period and although he fought back the first few times the continuous repeat slide backwards got him on the end. It is factors like how many, how much damage, how much effort it takes to start over etc that make a difference. Lucky includes the ability to start over after each set back.You have that Tracy. And you have a heart full of compassion for others and that is what  makes you special!

12 hours ago, swilkinson said:

Yes, it is being lucky as much as anything else that determines who survives and thrives and who succumbes but it is effort that makes a difference in recovery. Ray had a lot of strokes large and small over a 12 year period and although he fought back the first few times the continuous repeat slide backwards got him on the end. It is factors like how many, how much damage, how much effort it takes to start over etc that make a difference. Lucky includes the ability to start over after each set back.You have that Tracy. And you have a heart full of compassion for others and that is what  makes you special!

It is everyday I feel lucky with my stroke no doubt about it. That seems strange to say but I read regularly of members not sure if it's going to happen again. Ray faced this so many times. How very hard that must have been for all.  Your strength and caregiving took him a long way. I don't know if I have that strength and determination but I am "lucky" not being threatened by another brain bleed and likely will only be dealing with a numb left side  the rest of the way and that seems like small stuff comparing. God Bless!

Sue you are so very right. We are truly blessed and you my friend are a wonderful blessing. Not only for your Ray but to so many here that have been touched by your kind heart. Rest peacefully Ray, and I know personally that I am so happy you continue to be a shining light here! ❤️

I'm so sorry for Bonnie had to go through. You know I was reading how the Doctor explained everything to her and I just shrugged like i sounded good to me' but that is also because I've been conditioned to look at everything clinically. I prefer for the doctor to be blunt but I can also understand how heartless that would come across to Bonnie.  I have comfort that he is no in pain and , I almost started to sound like a nurse, he's not really there. If they are of a faith or whatever, may she find peace in knowing he is