With the deepest sadness... the passing of Steve Mallory

ksmith

I have such a heavy heart to have to share with all of you the passing of Steve Mallory yesterday. I am going to talk with his wife Melissa tomorrow and will share the information once I hear.

please keep the Mallory family in your prayers and I will share the address once I get it for condolences 

51E927A9-50C8-410B-9D2C-5BEADE51D12D.jpeg

My heart breaks for Steve and family. His legacy has and will continue to touch so many stroke survivors, families and friends lives. Rest peacefully Steve and all my love and prayers. ❤️🙏🏼

I am beyond devastated to see this, finding Strokenet made such a difference to my life as a caregiver and so I remained on here after Ray' passing as a widow because I had made a lot of friends on here over many years. Yes there should be a special place in Heaven for people like Steve who have benefited so many. I will pray for his family as they mourn this truly special man.

I have been on Strokenet a long time, since May 30th 2005 and less than a year later I was a chat host first in a general chat and then in Caregiver Chat. Somewhere along the way I took on the job of Blog Moderator and some years ago finished doing chat. All those years I have thought of Steve Mallory as my Boss. I guess that makes in even harder to say goodbye. 😢

Steve! OMG! HE WAS SUCH AN INSPIRATION! i feel as if i've lost an old friend, when I didn't "know" him at all ,except through his legacy. StrokeNet. HE WILL ALWAYS BE LOVED AND MISSED AND ALWAYS REMEMBERED FOR HIS BRAINCHILD. 

MY CONDOLENCES TO THE FAMILY. BECKY

kelli   :

This is such a sad news, & blow to his family & his trokenet family. Steve made best lemonade possible out f his lemons by creating this wonderful stroke support group which pulled off so many people out of their helplessness & despair. I know it helped me immensely when I  found it I needed it at age 34 where I thought how this kind of things happen to person who does not smoke, drink or fat   & having good job & young family at home how can stroke happen to me, till I met  Steve. He was  so inspiring, instead of dwelling on why me, he got busy in helping others,  &Since then I have been fixture on this site & volunteered all possible ways. Kelli, could you please share link on where people can donate money in memory of steve

Thanks,

Asha Chandra

I attended the Thursday afternoon service and was surrounded by his family and heard how wonderful he truly was.  So many of them came from his daughters, this day was a private service for family but I attended for my work schedule didn't allow for the public service. The stories that were shared only emphasized the man that Steve was. A joker, never in malice, always were the best stories shared and garnered the loudest and full-belly laughs. Listening to his daughters speak of life before and after his stroke you were reminded that life didn't change. I mean , of course, what and how they did changed but they 'were able to make new memories'. That phrase was shared many times throughout the service and just echoed the purpose of "The Stroke Network" to remind all of us that we shouldn't allow stroke define us but we define our own lives. For all who don't know about Steve, his stroke left him  quadriplegic and able to speak. Through speech therapy, he was able to speak but barely. His family , his wife Missy, would listen and say what he said.  He truly lived the Stroke Network's mission statement and one story that touched me regarding why this site is important. 

His daughter shared that one day, shortly after his own stroke,  someone rang his house with 'a British accent' ( she was 9 then) asking if this was America. She abruptly hung up and this gentleman called back and asked to speak to Mr. Mallory. She explained he was not there and this gentlemen wanted to call to thank Steve for he communicated with his gentleman after this " Chap", as she said, to thank him for after the chap's stroke , Steve talked him out of committing suicide. 

This was a common story that was shared between family and friends was how Steve and when Missy, his wife, met in 10th grade of High school . She shared a story of when he was learning how to communicate she would have to hold a 'sigh word board' and she would have to follow his eyes to form the words to speak. The bottom line was he truly devoted his life and love for helping others. His legacy will always be felt in the website and the  ' Silver Wolf' will be he heard every time a person is given support and compassion  for I can say personally, he helped me , in chats, to get me out of a bad place after my stroke  because when you look at me don't think stroke and having to explain it and accept my truth.   A gentleman who was not able to do a lot did the greatest gift to the world. His daughter said, " My daddy said he could lift the world and I truly believe he did."

2 hours ago, ksmith said:

I attended the Thursday afternoon service and was surrounded by his family and heard how wonderful he truly was.  So many of them came from his daughters, this day was a private service for family but I attended for my work schedule didn't allow for the public service. The stories that were shared only emphasized the man that Steve was. A joker, never in malice, always were the best stories shared and garnered the loudest and full-belly laughs. Listening to his daughters speak of life before and after his stroke you were reminded that life didn't change. I mean , of course, what and how they did changed but they 'were able to make new memories'. That phrase was shared many times throughout the service and just echoed the purpose of "The Stroke Network" to remind all of us that we shouldn't allow stroke define us but we define our own lives. For all who don't know about Steve, his stroke left him  quadriplegic and able to speak. Through speech therapy, he was able to speak but barely. His family , his wife Missy, would listen and say what he said.  He truly lived the Stroke Network's mission statement and one story that touched me regarding why this site is important. 

His daughter shared that one day, shortly after his own stroke,  someone rang his house with 'a British accent' ( she was 9 then) asking if this was America. She abruptly hung up and this gentleman called back and asked to speak to Mr. Mallory. She explained he was not there and this gentlemen wanted to call to thank Steve for he communicated with his gentleman after this " Chap", as she said, to thank him for after the chap's stroke , Steve talked him out of committing suicide. 

This was a common story that was shared between family and friends was how Steve and when Missy, his wife, met in 10th grade of High school . She shared a story of when he was learning how to communicate she would have to hold a 'sigh word board' and she would have to follow his eyes to form the words to speak. The bottom line was he truly devoted his life and love for helping others. His legacy will always be felt in the website and the  ' Silver Wolf' will be he heard every time a person is given support and compassion  for I can say personally, he helped me , in chats, to get me out of a bad place after my stroke  because when you look at me don't think stroke and having to explain it and accept my truth.   A gentleman who was not able to do a lot did the greatest gift to the world. His daughter said, " My daddy said he could lift the world and I truly believe he did."

Thank you for your report Kelli. I honestly feel like I was there sharing. Most humans (myself included) can only dream they might have the strength inside of them that Steve did. I'm slightly inconvenienced with my left side remaining numb but to carry on the way he did with the more than slightly overwhelming challenges he had as a quadriplegic, I think I would fail miserably. Like everyone I don't know for sure what if anything is waiting for us after this but my belief there is something. Is it reincarnation?,the traditional image of afterlife? I like thinking and believing that when humans like Steve take their last breath that there is a wonderful reward waiting for them. Some say afterlife is how people remember you after you are gone. There have been many nice thoughts here for sure. That is so cool you were able to attend. 

I shared with Missy all of the positivity that came out at the Strokenetwork. I was there for all of us not just me. But sadly I couldn’t stay to go over to his daughters house for after service refreshments. I had worked the 11 to 7 that night at 7 o’clock in the morning I drove straight to above Baltimore ( 2 ish hrs each way) more so needless to say I was too exhausted to stay with us true. :sleepy:

5 hours ago, Willis said:

Thank you for your report Kelli. I honestly feel like I was there sharing. 

Missy  invited me to speak at the service but I was so tired , I don’t do well with social situations because of my aphasia and I would’ve just broke down. But she knows and everyone knows the greatness that came from the Strokenetwork

14 hours ago, ksmith said:

Missy  invited me to speak at the service but I was so tired , I don’t do well with social situations because of my aphasia and I would’ve just broke down. But she knows and everyone knows the greatness that came from the Strokenetwork

I was going to comment on you having the energy to even attend. Not ever easy for us,

I barely made it. Red Bulls and listening to Korn lol when I got home I fell right to sleep and other than feeding the cats, slept most of Thursday night but it kicked my butt Friday. I was in bed sleeping from 5a-7p ( still have to keep my overnight sleep but I can tell you..  messed it up .... oh well

17 hours ago, Willis said:

I like thinking and believing that when humans like Steve take their last breath that there is a wonderful reward waiting for them. Some say afterlife is how people remember you after you are gone. There have been many nice thoughts here for sure. That is so cool you were able to attend. 

I can tell you he was a man of faith along with his family. His faith grew more after his stroke but rest assure, they are convinced he being rewarded .