The Strokenetwork will continue to be here

ksmith

The Stroke Network will continue to provide a place for those who seek to understand , to help educate and to offer support to all of those who have been affected by stroke. With Steve’s passing, as unfathomable as that is, we are reminded of the love and compassion that went into the creation of this website , which include the message board , chat groups and library. That all came from his heart to help others who have been affected by stroke. We know that life doesn’t often end with having the stroke but continues with the friendships and the knowledge to better navigate life.

if anybody would like to pass along their condolences, you can let me know or you can write something out and send it to me and I’ll print everything out and I’ll bring it with me on Thursday thank you 🙏 

for those who do not know, Steve’s wife’s name is Melissa but she also goes by Missy

So Sorry to hear that Steve has passed. I do hope Missy knows that he made a difference to many many lives all across the world, and his legacy shall continue.

((HUGS)) for his family in this hard time.

-Heather

kelli :

Thanks for letting all of us know & glad you will be attending funeral & meeting Missy, please pass our condolences to Missy & her family. Steve was amazing guy, proud husband,father & grandfather. It is amazing that even after he lost so much at very young age, he created this online support group. He saved so many lives by creating this particular platform for stroke survivors & caregivers to meet & share their experience.

As you know I stroked at young age of 34 which left me paralyzed on my left side, unable to drive, even though I had great support system at home, I still felt very lonely & could not find comments from regular people (family, doctors or therapists very comforting. I was at the end of the rope. & being Engineer I was looking online support group which is active  & lo & behold found this support group & met other survivors,caregivers & mentors here, which definitely got me off the ledge of the building I was ready to jump off from. I found strength in Steve's story & realized look at this guy we both stroked around same age  & his disability was far worse off than me & still he could look beyond his pain & has foresight  to create this support group to help others. Steve was so inspiring & he was so happy to be married to his high-school sweetheart. his story gave me strength to fight on, & I have been active member of this site since 2004  & decided to pay it forward by being active volunteer  here, since I know when survivor or caregiver tells to the newbie that "things will be ok" newbie kind of trusts them, I know I did, because I know they have walked the same path before the newbie & still standing strong. 

I wish I can come with you to funeral but I can't drive so please pass my condolences.

I'll let her know. She truly is a lovely person. Ironically, I haven't seen her since Dennis's service 😞 

• 2 weeks later...

I have been offline, just reconnected and saw this now.  This space that Steve created has played an enormous part in keeping me sane and alive.  I owe him (and everyone else on this site) a debt that I can never repay.

18 hours ago, PaulNash said:

I have been offline, just reconnected and saw this now.  This space that Steve created has played an enormous part in keeping me sane and alive.  I owe him (and everyone else on this site) a debt that I can never repay.

I concur with everything that you said . I, too, owe Steve everything that he made available and provided for many stroke survivors who are trying to navigate their new life after this horrible event .He helped  me out of a very dark place after my stroke for I did not understand many things that I was going through. And I’m sure like everyone else I felt like I was alone but he provided a safe place for us to come and meet other survivors. That same sentiment was shared at his funeral service amongst his Family and friends.  

(The photo below was taken after his stroke and his smile and laugh was  extremely contagious and  brightened  up everyone’s day)image.jpg