MRI?? What's it like?

VickiR

Because these evil hemmoraghic strokes run in my family, (Mom survived hers but her Mom and sister both had them and were killed by them. Possibly her brother too.) my doctor wants to send me for an MRI before we become pregnant again. It's scheduled for Sunday and I'm SCARED! I've never even BEEN to the doctor besides for some vaccines! I'm terrified of needles and someone told me I'll have an IV like thingy in my arm to inject contrast. yikes.gif Really, will I? I'm not scared of the test but I am of the IV!!

Someone come hold my hand! unsure.gif

Vicki

It's no big deal...

Not unlike having blood drawn unless you get an inept nurse who doesn't know squat about putting an IV in some are good at it and make it painless and quick. Others are clumsy and fumble around trying to find your vein to put the IV in and turn you into a pin cushion.

Once the IV is in the rest is a piece of cake...you just lay there and listen to the machine whirl. Sometimes they'll give you headphones to listen to a local radio station.

The worst part for me was my nose started itching and I couldn't move...didn't want to fowl up the images.

All this is no problem unless you are claustrophobic. In which case, shift your mind into a sleep mode. You will get through this! pash.gif

Vicki,

That someone to hold your hand will be God. His hand is unchanging, we will be with you in spirit as family.

MRI is a non medical procedure, I've had several since and before my stroke. Never a time used an IV. You are placed on a table/platform and put head first into a chamber to scan your brain while you be still as possible. Takes about 15 minutes.

There are other types of scans that use a white dye you drink before the scan that I'm aware of. Don't be scared, have faith, the doctor will know more of whats going on in your brain. I just had one last week.

MRI gives more detail than Cscan

Vicki, I have hada couple different types of scans, one they gave me a small injection in my arm, I waited 15 minutes and then had the scan.

You just have to lay still and not move, they usually put little pillow/sand bags next to you, they will usually ask you what kind of music you like and play music. you could tell the doctor you are frightened and they may give you an anti-anxiety medication to take before, then you will need someone to drive you. The machine makes some noises and clicking but it is not paiful at all. Just close your eyes and listen to the music and think of something peacful. try to kind of drift.. then it is over before you know it.

Best wishes and we will all be with you, Bonnie

An MRI shows more than a CT scan and some people have to wait

to have one done in Canada or pay 500.00 plus dollars themselves to have one

done in a private clinic.

I had a CT scan done post stroke and the next morning I had MRI which showed

stroke. The C.T did not show.

It is a simple procedure and the saline lock that is put in your vein is usually done

quickly and with no problem.

It should not take more than 20 min.

Before y know it,it is over!

Take Care

lorrainelm cloud9.gif

vicki

I've had 2 types of MRI's theres a open one ( just like a CAT scan machine) and then theres the closed one. I'm clostaphobic that one was an hour long, maybe the technition didn't know what he was doing. They had me out after an hour and then was givin a dye in the vein ...no IV . then back in i went. The machine i had was in a van outside the hospital, I'm glad they have open MRI's now and it's in a building. lol

I was never asked if i wanted music to listen to. I had to sing a songs in my head, then i counted numbers. anything to try to keep me calm. The Dr can give you a seditive to help.

jeanne

PIECE OF CAKE. YOU LIE DOWN ON THE PAD, GET SLOWLY MOVED INTO A TUBE, AND RELAX. BRING A CD FOR LISTENING THROUGH THE HEADPHONES, AND IT'S BETTER IF YOU KEEP YOUR EYES CLOSED. YOU WILL HEAR NOISE-------SOUNDS LIKE A HAMMER HITTING METAL. COMES AND GOES.

BEFORE YOU START, TAKE ONE MORE TRIP TO THE BATHROOM AND SCRATCH ANY PART OF THE BODY THAT COULD POSSIBLY ITCH. ANY MOVEMENT SCREWS UP THE READINGS.

WITH THAT SAID, ENJOY YOURSELF. IT'S ONE OF THE EASIEST TESTS TO TAKE.

MARTY smile.gif

Oh thank you so much. smile.gif I feel much better now. I'm still scared about the possible IV (I'm such a baby with needles) but the test sounds pretty easy. I'm famous for having to go to the bathroom when I'm nervous so Marty, I really appreciate the reminder to go right before I go in. (I can really see me going "um, can I use the restroom?" halfway thru the test!)

Lin, I'll bring my new Nichole Nordeman cd just in case.

Fred, your reply about God holding my hand has been on my mind all day. You're so right and I really needed to hear that.

Jeanne, our local MRI comes in a van also. I wonder if it will be open or closed? I'm not claustrophobic so it won't matter about that.

lorrainelm, is the saline lock like a heparin lock thingy? That's what I'm scared of! unsure.gif

Bonnie, thanks so much. I will just tell my dr that I'm scared and hopefully he'll give me something to take away the jitters. Hubby is going to drive me so that should be okay.

jstern, I'm already praying that I have a nurse who doesn't turn me into a pincushion! Uggghhhh! Have I said that I hate needles? wacko.gif

My brother keeps trying to talk me into getting a tattoo - uh huh, yeah, me volunteering to be poked with needles - that's really gonna happen!

Thank you all so much. I'll let you know how it goes!

Love,

Vicki

Vicky if you are thinking of wanting medication for the jitters I would call your doctor, he will probably phone in a few tablets (medication) to your pharmacy and you will need to pick them up for the morning of your MRI and maybe ask him for one for the night before so you can sleep well.... just a thought it might take a day to get the message from the nurse to the doctor to the pharmacy...

Bonnie

Hey Vicki,

don't be afraid for an MRI. If you are not getting needle (which I did not have) the worst thing was the noise, thought there were kids banging pots and pans.

I have to say people who have had aneursyms with a clip, as if I have, I cannot every get an MRI. Still trying to find what would happen if I did to take an MRI. Maybe I will be a villian into another Spiderman movie.

Bil

Guest fostermabld

MRI is hammering soundVERY,VERY LOUD other than the sound you will feel no

discimfort at all it sounds like being inside a metal trash being hammereds!

BashHead.gif

ask for earplugs . Its is a good option for non-invasive picture of the brain

try to kee p a copy. well woth itI sympathize! Good luck how is your heart and cardiovascular system and all that? let me know how it goes

biggrin.gif

Vicki,

I know exactly how you feel about needles. My doctor gave me a med for the night before and the day of. I have had an MRI done on my hips, spine, legs and ankles. My husband has had two of his brain following his stroke. None of the 8 between the two of us required a shot, drink or IV. Ask for earplugs and a face cloth to cover your eyes. You definitely want to use the bathroom when they come and get you. There is always one near by. Out of all of these scans the one that took the longest was on my ankles 1hr 40min. My husbands longest of the brain was 45min. Everyone can say just relax but you know how you feel and it is different for everyone. The best of luck. I hope your results are what you are hoping for.

Hugs and prayers,

Ginger hiya.gif

Baby, I saw your post in the email, and I want you to know that I am there for you. If I were up for an mri, I would be scared silly about what they may find, let alone the needles smile.gif. Don't be scared and if you are, cry on my shoulder. You have a hubby that loves you and is there for you. Everything will be okay, and even though you are sleeping, I want you you to know I am thinking about you, and love you.

To all that have responded, thankyou, thankyou very much, it means the world to know there are people out there that can help bring my baby peace of mind. God Bless!

Baby, I love you. ~Me.

Thank you all so much. (And to my husband, what an incredible man you are. Thank you SO much) I'm feeling a little bit better but now I'm worrying about noise! lol I'm sensitive to noises so that's gonna drive me crazy. Definitely bringing the earplugs. I'm praying that mine will be the type of MRI that many of you all had - without any needles. head_hurts.gif

It's coming right up now. Only Fri and Sat left to worry and then it's done and I can worry all week until the results come back. I'll have them in time to take them along to my Mom's appt with the neurologist so I'm taking them just in case he'll take a peek for me. smile.gif

Thank you all again. And again, Jachin, where would I be without you?

Vicki

Thank you so much to everyone for your words of experience and encouragement. I had the MRI this morning and it went pretty well. I was scheduled for 2:30pm but they called at 9am and asked me if I could come in earlier at 10:30am. I jumped at the chance to get it over with! It took 40 minutes over all. My experience was like Jeanne's. They did sveral scans and then pulled me out and gave me a dye injection and then I went back in for about 5 minutes. It wasn't an IV, just a pinchy needle and some very cold dye! (That was a weird feeling!) Wow, the noise! I had earplugs and it was still loud! Bang bang beep beep click pop.... They had a little speaker though and the tech could talk to me between scans so that was nice. Comforting to hear a human voice when you're in that tiny tube. I think I held pretty still and I'll get the results back in "3-4 working days". Now it's in God's hands I guess.

Thank you again, SO much,

Vicki

Archived