Gabapentin = how long before it works?

Benni

I haven't been on here for a few years because everything has been going well, adapted to my disabilities. However, a few months ago, I started having bad mouth pain-- like blisters were lining my cheek inside, and tongue hurts in several places making it hard to eat.

Doc put me on gabapentin a month ago, 100 mg. 3 times a day, blisters felt gone after about 2 weeks but tongue pain still there.

Then he upped it to 2x100 3 times a day. That was 6 days ago, and I'm still in agony.

How long before it kicks in? Or does he need to give me a higher dose? 

• 1 month later...

I am not sure your current status but this kind of medication, you have to step up slowly as well as step down slowly if you are going to ween off.  I have been on Gapapentin for my visual vertigo and nystagmus for 5 years.  Recently, I tried to ween off very slowly from 1200mg per day to nothing.  Unfortunately,  @  600mg when I started to get imbalancing problems and dizzyness.  When I attempted to increase to 1600 (the full prescription), I had night blindness.

I have to step up to 1200mg again for optimum affect which I am stepping up slowing again.

• 4 months later...

Sorry but could something else be needed to stop the blisters? I wonder if if it was going to help it would have by the time YOU ARE ASKING ARE WE THERE YET?

BUT THATS ME ...IMPATIET WITH PAIN.

with all else.not gonna suffer because of My Own Body.

I'm weaning off it now. Been on it 6 months and not helping, just keeps me from sleeping good -- up on and off all night.

They should make something that works right away (was in pain for 6 months before I was put on it, I needed relief NOW!

All these pharmaceuticals with their side effects. Yuk! I have to take 2. One for seizures and one for BP. Hate them both, especially the seizure crap but I'm adjusting and i feel are needed. CBD is in total control of my pain management and the side effect is hours of deep sleep through the night. Even when I wake in the middle of the night after a few hours of deep sleep I can usually fall right back to sleep in say a half hour. It's been my life changer.  😴

5 hours ago, Benni said:

Willis, I had to start taking CBD oil to help me sleep. It works great! 

Good Benni! I know it's not always medicinal depending on the problem but it does seem to always be good for sleeping for everyone. Keep exploring for yourself with edibles if you are comfortable with it. Just remember the. 1st commandment of edible sampling is "Slow (give it time) and LOW (small doses)" until you understand what you are doing. I'm here to help everyone I can if you or they have questions.

14 hours ago, Willis said:

Just remember the. 1st commandment of edible sampling is "Slow (give it time) and LOW (small doses)" until you understand what you are doing. I'm here to help everyone I can if you or they have questions.

I have tried edibles, so far they do nothing for me. Plus with my mouth pain (why i'm on gabapentin) they are too hard to chew.

7 hours ago, Benni said:

I have tried edibles, so far they do nothing for me. Plus with my mouth pain (why i'm on gabapentin) they are too hard to chew.

Sorry I didn't think about your sores. I can be so insensitive sometimes but never intentional. I apologize.

3 minutes ago, Willis said:

Sorry I didn't think about your sores. I can be so insensitive sometimes but never intentional. I apologize.

I never gave it a second thought when I read your reply. 😁

6 minutes ago, Benni said:

I never gave it a second thought when I read your reply. 😁

Good! I read your profile. I don't remember doing that. I will have to check. You are from what I always thought was probably. one of. the prettiest places in North America. It looks like you have (like myself fortunately) good support. Where would we be without them? I can't imagine.

4 hours ago, Benni said:

Newfoundland is very beautiful indeed! Hubs, and friends, are great supporters for sure.

I just read your profile. I grew up in Indiana -- Fort Wayne.

At 71 I still think there is a slim chance I may see it still some day. BTW I did notice we were born the same year. We moved to Granger by South Bend and are so glad. My wife is now only minutes from my daughter and I get to see my Grandsons a lot. We lived in Michigan and were 4 hours away. Different subject out of my curiosity.  Do they have any idea what is causing these blisters? 

26 minutes ago, Willis said:

Do they have any idea what is causing these blisters? 

My daughter lives in Osceola, so I know South Bend.

Docs are still trying to find out. I don't actually have blisters, just the pain of them. Doc chalked it up to nerve pain, but is still hoping to get a certain diagnosis. He thinks it's more than nerve pain.

On 11/9/2021 at 11:13 AM, Benni said:

My daughter lives in Osceola, so I know South Bend.

Docs are still trying to find out. I don't actually have blisters, just the pain of them. Doc chalked it up to nerve pain, but is still hoping to get a certain diagnosis. He thinks it's more than nerve pain.

Osceola was on my radar last winter and spring when we were house shopping. I looked around the area east, south and north (into Michigan) of South Bend too. As it worked out April and my daughter started walking neighborhoods near her house. They found one 7-8 minutes away from her by car. I was ready to "settle" just to get over here and close to her family and more into our lives. My wife in particular needed this. Sadly because the 42 year old owner passed suddenly last Feb. and it became available. I feel we really scored with the set up of the house, 3 bedrms and 2 baths main floor and the land. We left over two and a half acres behind. This has a small front lawn and the property behind the home is a ravine. Phew 

7 minutes ago, Willis said:

Osceola was on my radar last winter and spring when we were house shopping. I looked around the area east, south and north (into Michigan) of South Bend too. As it worked out April and my daughter started walking neighborhoods near her house. They found one 7-8 minutes away from her by car. I was ready to "settle" just to get over here and close to her family and more into our lives. My wife in particular needed this. Sadly because the 42 year old owner passed suddenly last Feb. and it became available. I feel we really scored with the set up of the house, 3 bedrms and 2 baths main floor and the land. We left over two and a half acres behind. This has a small front lawn and the property behind the home is a ravine. Phew 

I am not sure about nerve pain relief but it might be worth seeing if there has been any success. The biggest issue would be delivery. Sorry Benni this must make trying to eat and drink a challenge for you. So sorry, like you don't have enough challenges everyday already. Do your best to stay strong physically and mentally.

13 hours ago, Benni said:

Eating is very difficult. I can only stand to have a 1/2 teaspoonful in my mouth at a time -- takes forever to eat! I. also, drink supplements.

As if you don't already have enough to deal with. Please tell your husband thanks for what he does for you from someone who understands how much that means to us and how important it is to us. Couldn't make it without April!

2 hours ago, Benni said:

I tell him "thank you" every time he does anything for me. Don't want him to feel taken for granted. 🙂

Same here, everything she does for me and I'm also working hard on controlling my emotional melt downs. I've got the meanness under control. That one surprised me because it was so not me. The sadness that sneaks up on me is next. That feeling sorry for myself crap. What compounds that for me is her seeing it. She doesn't need that and does fully understand it has nothing to do with her. That  always makes me feel worse. The good thing is I'm usually over it in 15 minutes or so. I came up with something we are going to start trying. When I am having "a moment" as she. calls them I am going to hold up my index finger to let her know it best to not be around me for a few minutes.

Are you on anything for the emotions? I have never been a crying person and after the stroke I  would cry at the drop of a hat. Doc put me on elavil and within a week all that crap was done!