Sleep medication substitutes

will2

Just wanted to add. In another topic I discussed medical marijuana and how effective it has been managing some nagging neurologic pain that I've had since post stroke. Though I'm relatively new employing cannabis products for prescription substitutes, another positive benefit that I've experienced is that it has great sedative benefits. I currently take a capsule of the sativa blend at bedtime and it allows me to doze off very peacefully and soundly. I'm currently prescribed by my PCP Ambien (Zolpediem) for sleep as I've had my biological clock kinda reset since my brain event. I've been using medical marijuana now for a few years and tried an array of the products from our dispensaries here in Florida. I've mainly tried the oral delivery methods vs smoking. And have acknowledged the benefits over a period of time. The products have allowed me to substitute using them vs opioids for effective pain management, but have also realized benefits such as an effective sleep medication. A blessing.ย 

ย 

Another realized benefit in addition to positive pain management and sleep substitute, it also works magic with the prostrate for this older curmudgeon. Very positive report using this medication legally in the state of Florida. I hope that in time that the Government makes it legal on the Federal level so that it may reach a wider population of people that could benefit from these products and make them more widely available to those who may wish to use them for medicinal reasons. At my age/health I don't see myself using them for recreational reasons but, certainly glad that they are available to us at the state levels for medicinal causes.

• 3 weeks later...

Will, were you a hippie in the 60s? Maybe had your recreational use already!!

(You know that I love you and just messing with you! ๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’š)

ย 

So very glad you are receiving benefits from medical use.

ย 

I have become a night owl too, and love sleeping in these days.ย  Gotta be an upside somewhere!

ย 

๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ‘‘

8 hours ago, GreenQueen said:

Will, were you a hippie in the 60s? Maybe had your recreational use already!!

(You know that I love you and just messing with you! ๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’š)

ย 

So very glad you are receiving benefits from medical use.

ย 

I have become a night owl too, and love sleeping in these days.ย  Gotta be an upside somewhere!

ย 

๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ‘‘

Hi Janelle, yea the "hippies" were my generation. We would spend many an hour in those Head Shops back in the 70's. Buying the clothes, the John Lennon round frame glasses, living the part. I did my share of partaking of the evil weed:crazy:In fact, out of just about all my friends I grew up with in High School got high. Maybe one or two odd ones didn't. We were the Coconut Grove crowd and made our way from concerts in the parks to Stadiums. I eventually grew away from it in my College days and then my employer of 25yrs did random drug screening. In fact because our dept had Nuclear Plant access, we were on two random drug testing. I can tell you though, so far I've only used the oral routes of administration and it's nothing like what I remember smoking back in the 70's recreationally. Best I can describe is that it seems more controlled, or targeted for specific purposes, like pain and/or anxiety and sleep. No realized "buzz", no outrageous laughing, no munchies, etc.

ย 

Now with that said, I've yet to try any of the smokable route, from what I understand the full flower effects technically called the "entourage effects" I haven't tried. And those brownies,ย cookies and candy edibles I prefer not to indulge in, I'd be eating way too much to keep my girlish figure:lol:

ย 

It does however without a doubt help to get a faster more relaxed sleep though, thats a fact!

Will that's awesome!

My parents were definitely not hippies!

So glad I know a bonafide hippie!!

ย 

I'm a late 80s early 90s teenage generation.ย  I guess that makes me a martial girl, or an uptown girl!

ย 

๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ‘‘

Janelle, my claim to fame (hippy) has long since expired by about about 51yrsย :raising-cane:ย and though those were some really great years growing up in the late 60's and 70's you'd never know it by appearances. My sister is only a year older and she attended Woodstock. So many years later we both reminisce about those days but these days we all live very respectable and rewarding lifestyles. We are often stigmatized with being the early drug culture, but is a whole lot worse these days with crack, meth, designer drugs (ecstasy) heroine and many other more harmful drugs. We did a lot of dope smoking and listing to music at a lot of rock concerts but all mostly grew out of it. The peace and love crowds types, no activists throwing rocks, drive-by shootings, burning police cars and that such nonsense. It was a phase, a very fun memorable phase but, we all grew out of it like most young adults growing into adulthood. I'm not hypocritical but I don't criticize those who may partake if they so desire either, it's just not for me anymore, and other than a beer or glass of wineย every now and again, thats it. After all I got this old curmudgeon image thing going on that I gotta protect:insane:

Thankfully Will, what happened in our early years is in the past!!

I never did anything bad, my older brothers had done it all, there was nothing left for me to terrorise my parents with!

I also think we are who we are, because of what we've done and not done.

ย 

We turned out alright, Will.

๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ‘‘

2 hours ago, GreenQueen said:

Thankfully Will, what happened in our early years is in the past!!

I never did anything bad, my older brothers had done it all, there was nothing left for me to terrorise my parents with!

I also think we are who we are, because of what we've done and not done.

ย 

We turned out alright, Will.

๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ‘‘

I agree with you Janelle, and for whats it worth, I wouldn't change a thing even if I could. It has moulded and shaped me and my behaviors as I am today and thats not such a bad thing. Honestly, like Deigh and his reminiscing thread, I often think back to those days and really miss the fun, the much simpler life, but growing out of it is a big part and I truthfully was more the late "adulthood bloomer" I didn't make major changes and get my stuff really together until I reached about 30ys old. Even at almost 70yrs I'm still learning, growing, and oftentimes changing but it's more spiritual in nature than behavioral.ย 

ย 

Yea, my Sis and I often look at one another and say "We turned out ok!" smile and roll our eyes, knowing what experiences we went through, we weren't no angels thats for sure:biggrin:

I'm changing and growing spiritually as well, Will.

I rely heavily on my faith to see me through.ย 

๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ‘‘

On 6/20/2021 at 7:44 AM, will2 said:

Hi Janelle, yea the "hippies" were my generation. We would spend many an hour in those Head Shops back in the 70's. Buying the clothes, the John Lennon round frame glasses, living the part. I did my share of partaking of the evil weed:crazy:In fact, out of just about all my friends I grew up with in High School got high. Maybe one or two odd ones didn't. We were the Coconut Grove crowd and made our way from concerts in the parks to Stadiums. I eventually grew away from it in my College days and then my employer of 25yrs did random drug screening. In fact because our dept had Nuclear Plant access, we were on two random drug testing. I can tell you though, so far I've only used the oral routes of administration and it's nothing like what I remember smoking back in the 70's recreationally. Best I can describe is that it seems more controlled, or targeted for specific purposes, like pain and/or anxiety and sleep. No realized "buzz", no outrageous laughing, no munchies, etc.

ย 

Now with that said, I've yet to try any of the smokable route, from what I understand the full flower effects technically called the "entourage effects" I haven't tried. And those brownies,ย cookies and candy edibles I prefer not to indulge in, I'd be eating way too much to keep my girlish figure:lol:t does however without a doubt help to get a faster more relaxed sleep though, thats a fact!

Hippie orย dippy or what ever ourย monikerย ๐Ÿ˜ we are side effect free, well rested and have our pain and discomfort underย control nicely. Cannabis a medicine so awesome that most people take it for the side effects

.ย ย 

59 minutes ago, heathber said:

Nicely put Will.

ย 

Thank you friend. Wish I could claim it as mine but I copied a post of this to my photos to keep and share. he-he. I do howeverย love all those clever, witty, "wish I'd said that" things!

Willis soooo many things I would love to claim as my own!

ย 

I always thought that I had thought up:

ย 

Don't expect anything then you'll never be disappointed.ย 

ย 

Found out recently that I wasn't the first to coin that phrase!

ย 

๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ‘‘

On 6/28/2021 at 7:39 AM, GreenQueen said:

Willis soooo many things I would love to claim as my own!

ย 

I always thought that I had thought up:

ย 

Don't expect anything then you'll never be disappointed.ย 

ย 

Found out recently that I wasn't the first to coin that phrase!

ย 

๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ‘‘

๐Ÿ˜

• ksmith pinned this topic
  • 1 year later...

Following an ad on the local radio I purchased a small bottle of Sleepdrops from my chemist. The product isย  easily applied and has worked well the few times I've used it with no after effects. It worked reasonably quickly for those times when sleep escaped me.

Deigh

ย 

On 6/2/2023 at 5:25 PM, Deigh said:

Following an ad on the local radio I purchased a small bottle of Sleepdrops from my chemist. The product isย  easily applied and has worked well the few times I've used it with no after effects. It worked reasonably quickly for those times when sleep escaped me.

Deigh

ย 

Is cannabis legal in New Zealand?

I'm not up to date with the cannabis scene, it is definitely not openly legally but there are times when it can be used in a medical treatment. Do you think I have bought something that could hook me? I can assure you that there is no craving for another dose and there seems to be no after effects.

ย 

I'm sure that if it was in way illegal it would not be allowed to advertise on radio.

Deigh

Cannabis isn't legal here, but online you can get 'herbal' tablets. Don't know where from, a friend told me.

Legit!!

๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ‘‘

Medicinal Cannabis is available in Aus for a range of conditions. But if you take it you canโ€™t legally drive. Recreational use is banned still. Iโ€™ve recently been through the rigmarole required to get it for my Mum.
ย 

There is a product here called Restavit, which Mum uses occasionally for help staying asleep, although her cbd oil helps with this too.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't know that Heather. Glad you were eventually able to get it for your mum.

Guessing it's not on PBS?

๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ‘‘