Leighla

I'm wondering if any artists, musicians or writers have

experienced fearfulness while trying to create again. But of

course in my case I certainly had a gift at 18-20 yrs. for

painting. It wasn't a good way to earn a living so I

became a graphic designer. 30 yrs. later I have the time to

explore that realm again in a new and different way. I honestly

can say that my efforts are short and sort of scary. I need

to take frequent breaks, find myself painting over alot.

Just like every other thing I am needing to learn all over

again. Right now I am signingoff so I can go and have another

20min of challenge.I also figure to give myself at least a

month of daily trials to evaluate what happens. Long and short

of this is...Are God given gifts lost through stroke or just

rearranged. Interesting Topic to share about isn't it? Thanks

for the audience huh.gif Leighla

I love to do crafts of all kinds and have dabbled in many different ones over the years. The one that has stayed the longest and that I love the most is rubber stamping. I've been doing this for about 8 years now. When my husband had his stroke almost 2 years ago, I swear it was my sanity!

Anyway, for those who think they can no longer create because of your stroke, try stamping. It's a bit expensive, but you can find ways around that. Michaels, Hobby Lobby, and even some of the dollar stores sell stamps. I think Michaels even offers classes. It's something that can even be done one handed. I had carpal tunnel surgery last year and still managed to stamp! I've even gone to the nursing home and stamped with some of the women there.

My best friend says she doesn't have a creative bone in her body, but she make beautiful cards. So if you're looking for something to try this might be a winner for you.

Toni

Thanks Pam, I find something similar. Creative ideas come

fleetingly and there doesn't seem to be a shortage of those.

Problem I am having is actualizing them. I guess practice is

the way. It's just not as gratifying, because of the struggle

involved. I'm hoping I won't get so discouraged as to quit

trying. Carry on. Leighla pash.gif

Hi Leighla, I am not an artist or writer, but I do crafts, my two favorites are crocheting and ceramics. Even though my left arm & hand wasn't working properly I started crocheting again. The Dr and PT were thrilled. I am right handed so only needed my left to guide the loose yarn. I found with "focus" cognitive deicits to use basic, simple patterns. Well my first couple pieces definately would not have won any prizes. Now two years later I am making baby blankets, afghans and even doll dresses for my granddaughters (for Barbie)

It is learning over, and repitition helps..

Bonnie

Hi Leighla,

That is a good topic. Sadly some people will not do what they used to love to do since they cannot or do not want to communicate. After my aneurysm operation and stroke everyone was afraid that I may kill myself since I could no longer read or what I loved, writing.

It was hard for me to write a simple sentence in the computer, yet I knew, my brain knew exactly what I was writing. And I still have the same problem after 8 years - I know exactly the dialogue what I am writing, but I forget words and making a sense.

But the most important was that I DID NOT QUIT! My writing is getting better, but still it is hard and have to re-write rewrite. I know I will no longer win an Oscar or a Tony or a Pulitzer, but I am happy that I can sit two or three hours to write, as I did for many years before my stroke.

Bil

• 1 year later...

Hi Leighla,

My stroke left me paralysed on my left side in 1997. Up until my stroke I was an avid amateur pianist who was attempting to play Rachmaninov Piano Concertos even though they were galaxies out of my competancy. After my stroke I humoured well wishers who thought I should play one-handed. But it was just not good enough without the harmonies of the accompaniment of the left hand. I knew that I would need some form of creative expression so after a great experience in art therapy, my art therapist suggested I try a fine arts course to learn the fundamentals that the rehab center was unable to provide. I found a local artist who already had a studio and held classes at home so I signed up to learn sketching techniques. After a year I was able to attempt oil portraits and in a few years I did a Rembrandt portrait and a Renoir. It is a wonderful passtime. I am grateful for my teacher's ability to guide us as we create. I have no plans of making painting a huge career but it has helped me produce a few pieces to decorate my home and use as gifts for those I love. I have found no major cognitive issues that hinder my ability to paint. I paint seated at an easle so I don't tire from standing up like the other students.

I recommend that any stroke survivor who is interested in art participate in art therapy or regular art classes because it is another thing that is possible and out there waiting for us to enjoy

Best,

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Leighla:

I found your topic very interesting.

Before Chris' strokes he loved to paint outside and inside. One week before his first stroke he had just finished painting our house. For two years post-stroke we worked on anything OT to help him. This summer I had got him started painting rocks of all sizes for my gardens. I am an avid gardnerer - I am constantly creating new gardens in our backyard and I use white stone instead of mulch. Something was missing.

I went by a local church one day and in their gardens I saw colored rocks that really made the gardens look bright. It really caught your attention when you went by. So I thought, Chris could do this for our gardens.

I approached him with the idea and now today he has done about 10 smaller rocks - he finished a larger flat rock which we turned into a "Welcome" sign and now he is working on another very large rock.

It takes him awhile to finish a project and it is very tiring but it makes him very happy and he feels like he is contributing to the family.

I say - Whatever makes you happy - DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Kim :)

very good topic indeed. i used to do alot of crafts, but unable to now due to the paralysis in my one arm. so i volunteer here at the website to satisfy me for the time being anyway. doing what you enjoyed doing before stroke has many therapeutic qualities. or try and find something you can do after stroke. it keeps the mind busy and helps re-train it. maybe someday i will be able to return to my crafts but i am content now. i wish all survivors can find something that pleases them to help in their recovery.

• 3 weeks later...

Just one question....

Did you guys lose your dominant hand?

I was left handed and am somewhat ambidextrous. I can write legibly enough to get by, but don't really have the dexterity to do much else. Just curious because you make some great suggestions thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, Maria. It's the same for me as yourself except reverse. I can write legibly but wonder if I should learn to print better with my left hand. My credit card signatures and checks are accepted so that's ok. Many things are a little more difficult like stirring a large bowl of stuff.

I have found that my brain makes decisions and I just accept them. Sometimes, I will pick up my fork with my left hand; sometimes with my right......

But when you get down to it there are somethings which I still do, clumsily with the right............Imteresting topic.

• 4 months later...

Before my stroke I attended 3 art classes a week. I resumed them after 5 weeks, I could not use my right hand as well as before but I loved my art so much that i still wanted to do it. I have a exhibition planned for dec. 2008, it was arranged well before the stroke . I am working on showing my work before and after the stroke ,I get very tired but I shall keep trying. Joan B

I was an avid gardener. Now unable to get down on the ground to touch the earth, I start seeds I collect in my neighborhood from my power chair outings. I have grown several cool houseplants & patio citrus , some which I gave as gifts. I also transcribe the US census pages as a volunteer for the USGenWeb

Archived