Yep, I know this has nothing to do with strokes but maybe someone has an answer. I am really under the weather with an attack of bronchitis. I'm past the worst now but the last bit is taking some shifting. Because I have no spleen I hold a course of antibiotics in the cupboard for immediate use if anything strikes. I'm halfway through the course now and when finished my doctor will issue another prescription to go on the shelf for the next problem.

I've been subject to bronchitis for most of my life but I havn't had an attack for more than twenty years and I am trying to work out why. A few years ago as a campervan owner I had an attack and it was much discussed at the open meeting at club rally. Someone came up with a means of preventing future attacks and I adopted it .......and obviously it worked! BUT my stroke messed with my memory and I've forgotten completely what it was although I have a feeling it may have been a course of vitamins. Obviously I stopped doing it and am paying the penalty.

Quite frankly I don't want to face this again, I'm 91 years of age and it has stuffed me completely so if anyone can come up with a preventative solution I'd be keen to try it.

Deigh

Deigh, though I'm sorry I on't have any kind of solution or helpful suggestions, I've sent a small prayer out for you that leads you to some proper relief. I wish I could do more but maybe it'll help.

I had viral pneumonia (RSV) in my early forties and had bronchitis for six years in a row. My solution was one of the older mycin drugs, erythromycin with two weeks worth of doses. Erythromycin is now out of fashion. I started taking Vitamin C in winter and went through without bronchitis. Many people use a combination of vitamins. I do have the flu needle every year now I am on my seventies. I find sitting in the sun good too and it feels so good in winter if you can find a spot out of the wind.

Thanks for that reply Sue. I'm sure it wasn't a drug I was recommended but the vitamin C seems very likely. My wife has returned from shopping with a large container of them and we will add one each to our daily diet in the future as winter approaches. Being mid winter here now we will start a course now.

We both have the flu jab every year too.  I expect to go down with a cold at some time over winter but this year has been very good cold wise probably because the enforced distancing required by the Covid restrictions has meant less contact with cold carrying people and that has been a good thing. Having a small population has made this  possible in NZ but I have problems understanding how this would be achieved in countries with large populations and little space.

I'm going a bit stir crazy at this time. Valerie has banned me from even shoving my nose outside the door for the last week! Feeling unwell made this rule no problem to accept but now as I'm improving the desire to break out keeps emerging.  I have had a few indoor jobs to keep me busy but am running out of them. 

Deigh

Hi Deigh, my Doctor many years ago used to "prescribe" me a 3 week course of ACE+Zinc and Echinacea at the start of winter. These days I rely on ArmaForce which I take for only 2 weeks once I get a sniffle, it does seem to stop a cold in its tracks, it is not recommended to take Armaforce as a daily supplement so don't be tempted and a significant number of people don't tolerate andrographis, so best to take a low dose for a couple of days when you are otherwise well to test your reaction.

Once you are on the mend some outside exercise actually helps you to get rid of the dregs of a cold. A brisk walk around the block should do you no harm and will do wonders for your mood as well. I also like a good sinus clearing curry.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

-Heather

Thanks for that Heather, think that was the formulae I was given, will try it again.

I am desperately anxious to get back to some sort of exercise routine but the least endeavour at the moment results in a coughing fit which is unacceptable. Better weather on the horizon means that I might get out in a day or so.

Deigh

Fingers crossed, the weather across the ditch is better than here. It seems to have been raining non stop for days. I wouldn't mind that if it didn't come with antarctic winds as well.  Max daytime temp of 7 degrees is bad enough but when the "feels like" is also -2 going for any walk is torture.

Weather not bad here for winter, milder than normal and we seem to have had a lot of  badly needed rain recently......In fact too much rain down country where there have been floods. I didnt know it got that cold in Oz!  7C, wow!

I lived in Egypt just before WW2 and winter was extraordinary there...Clear skies and lots of sunshine but requiring the wearing of an overcoat because the sun had no heat and the wind was cold!

Deigh

You can try my grandmother's remedy- one shot whiskey mixed with honey and lemon. And, if one dose doesn't work, try two. Actually, it does make your throat stop hurting, and makes it feel less scratchy, which helps you cough less, which makes you feel better.   Becky 

Becky, thanks for that remedy. I really like it. May have to go for three shots for it to really work for me!

Seriously though,  I don't have a hurting throat but am finding the wheezing difficult to deal with. My wife was asthmatic and when we first married I had to listen to the terrible wheezing all the time. It took us nearly fifteen years to get it completely  under control and now her nights and days are silent. Now, having to listen to the 'dreaded wheeze' again and knowing that I'm producing it is taking me back in time!

Deigh

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/1/2021 at 7:50 AM, becky1 said:

AFTER 3 SHOTS, YOU WOULD FEEL NO PAIN AND WOULDN'T CARE BECKY

My thoughts exactly Becky!

Any kind of sickness mixed with stroke....blah.

When I have a cold even though it may be a slight cold, knocks me for six. Especially energy levels. 

I hope you have found the right solution Deigh 

💚👑