I know having some therapies and doctor appointments on zoom, or a similar way, and not  necessarily having to get dressed or get transportation was a plus for some but not being able to leave your home  and socialize can be horrible for our mental health.

How has this been for you and how do you feel about how we MIGHT have to do this again?

OIP.jpg

My part of New South Wales, east coast of Australia is considered part of Greater Sydney, we have been in quarantine (we call it lockdown) for just over four weeks and just told it is going to last another four weeks till August 28th. I can keep myself occupied in isolation but it is boring. I crochet, read, do some gardening, cook, eat, repeat. Occasionally I find something new to do so delete crochet add sort photos, boxes of them. I will try not to go mad in the next few weeks.

Without doubt our local lockdown left me with problems. The worst one was my talking, which I kept up to scratch by engaging in conversation on my daily walks with the unpaid ladies who man the local op-shops. Most of them know me by name and they are always good for a giggle and a leg pull. The other was the walking route which had to be changed to avoid meeting people. After a while that sorted itself out by establishing a few stops along the way where I could have a conversation across the road with other exercise advocates. 

At this time all those op-shop calls are back on my  list but everyone knows that we are extremely fortunate to be able to maintain this freedom of movement and are conscious of the fact that it could be lost at any time. It only takes one person breaking the rules and New Zealand could be reverting to shutdown.

Deigh

fingers crossed Deigh, hows the vaccine rollout going in NZ? Here it's a crazy mess, and the recent introduction of Delta from the international flight crews has sent a large portion of the country back into lockdown, NSW is doing it hardest (where Sue is) but we (Victoria) just had our 5th short lockdown this year because of it. Victoria did the very long lockdown last year (nearly 4 months) and it sounds like NSW will be facing the same now. (My reading of the news is that many NSW people are not complying with restrictions, but their politicians/leaders are not willing to be seen using the rules and enforcements that Victoria learnt the hard way and for a less virulent strain of the virus. different brands of government)

They are now saying we need a 70 - 80% vaccination rate to stop the lockdowns. But the vaccine supply is still very limited especially for those under 40, so I'm not very hopeful of us getting to that any time soon.

In the mean time I put up with the mask and limit the places I go and people I see.  At least this year I can go to therapy at the hospital, so long as we are not in lockdown. Last year in the long lockdown the only face to face therapy I could get was my once a month session with the physio for manual muscle release, everything else had to be done via video supervision, and that in person treatment was only allowed because to if it wasn't done my long term health and mobility would be compromised.  In the short lockdowns it is not allowed, all face to face except for emergency treatment is cancelled during snap lockdowns.

We are being well informed about Oz's Covid problems, so many bubbles are being inflated and popped it gets scary. Being our nearest neighbour we are very concerned with whats happening over there. We have relatives in the Sydney area and they assure us they are safe where they are.

Over here the labour government is pleased with the roll out which they claim is up to date, the National opposition says its a disaster and Jacinda should apologise. Other parties are sitting on the fence and saying nothing!

Like you we have a small but vociferous batch of people who are convinced it is a gummint swindle and will not get vaccinated! Apart from the odd protest march they are relatively quiet. Think it is the same bunch who don't believe in global warming and swear it is a Chinese swindle to get us to buy more air conditioners. 

Here the weather is being its normal changeability, this morning started of with dense fog, changed into pleasant sunshine and is now raining! 

Deigh 

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't it typical,  Deigh, that the opposition is whinging about the way the sitting government is handling things?

Political parties should put aside their differences and work together. 

After all, as a nation we are putting aside our differences to work together, to work a way out of this mess.

💚👑

At least we hope we are. fingers crossed this current crisis resolves soon, My trip to WA in November is looking more than a bit shaky at the moment. If I have to quarantine I'll have to cancel it 😞

We had concert tickets for a favorite artist and overnight reservations at a downtown hotel in Chicago. We cancelled both.😔

Heather it's a tough one. We, as a state, do not want to go through what most of the country is dealing with.

As your friend,  I really hope you get to come over!!

Willis are you further away from Chicago now?

Wayne and I are due to go to Perth in November to see an Australian artist, Guy Sebastian. 

I'm pretty sure he lives over heather's way, so we might not let him in!

Who were you going to see?

💚👑

On 8/18/2021 at 6:49 AM, GreenQueen said:

Heather it's a tough one. We, as a state, do not want to go through what most of the country is dealing with.

As your friend,  I really hope you get to come over!!

Willis are you further away from Chicago now?

Wayne and I are due to go to Perth in November to see an Australian artist, Guy Sebastian. 

I'm pretty sure he lives over heather's way, so we might not let him in!

Who were you going to see?

💚👑

No I am an hour train ride from downtown Chicago now. 3 hours closer! Yay!

On 8/18/2021 at 8:44 AM, heathber said:

At least we hope we are. fingers crossed this current crisis resolves soon, My trip to WA in November is looking more than a bit shaky at the moment. If I have to quarantine I'll have to cancel it 😞

Heather it was just on the news, our border rules are tightening. 

It's only August though...

Willis being closer to a major city is great!

We are 5 hours away from Perth, but 'one day' plan on moving closer. 

💚👑

I had hopes of getting to a Jazz weekend in the Bay Of Islands next month but that is now highly unlikely.

Deigh

Yep, sorry bout that Deigh.

Very selfish Aussie put you guys in lockdown according to the news.

💚👑

Deigh, I loved the Bay of Islands That was the first stop on my cruise in February last year. When this Covid is finally over I am coming back to New Zealand to have a couple of bus trips and a good look around. I reckon that will be a great holiday. I could certainly look again at all the other places we stopped too.

Napier is really high on my future list, Sue.

I love art deco, and would love to see a whole town in the style.

💚👑

• 2 weeks later...

Living out here in the boonies has made covid restriction no different than most days.   I stay home more and we contemplate where we go for encountering others.  We are just amazed at the free delivery to our little corner of the world.  Fresh produce is seasonal and we are canning much more than we use to.    

We are bummed that a concert we booked was cancelled last November.  Luke Combs in Orlando.  The airline (Delta) gave us a voucher only but time running as they are only 2 years valid.  The vouchers won't even come near the cost of flying out of Toronto.  Hopefully we can fly out of Detroit by next November.  

We notice our family practice office has posted booster shots for those scheduled for surgery and heart & brain related medical conditions.  3rd shot basically.  

1 hour ago, Madade said:

We notice our family practice office has posted booster shots for those scheduled for surgery and heart & brain related medical conditions.  3rd shot basically.  

I have been told that the vaccine will be required every year, like the flu needle.

Is this true?

💚👑

There has been much discussion about that Janelle but I haven't heard anything difinitively. Seems like things are just changing but not ending though. The world is a very unsure place in the universe right now. So hard to know what is really happening.

Absolutely Mark. Flu vaccines change to keep up with the current strain, so it does make sense.

Tracy the hardest part is knowing what's happening. The government can only go by day to day outbreaks, so things change so quickly, as far as lockdowns etc.

Those in power aren't the ones in control, this damn disease is.

💚👑

Booster shots for the countries with money and resources to do it are inevitable, especially while there are countries unable to vaccinate large parts of their populations. The variants happen where the virus is spreading most, more chance of a mutation with each new host. If we ( the world) are going to get this thing under some sort of control we are going to need to work on whole world population vaccination not just each country looking after it's own.  The more it mutates the more often we will need boosters and the more likely it is that the next mutation/variant will be one that the vaccines don't work for.

What I'm trying to say is we should be sending vaccines to the places where people haven't been vaccinated before doing boosters for those who have already been vaccinated against current strains.

2 hours ago, heathber said:

What I'm trying to say is we should be sending vaccines to the places where people haven't been vaccinated before doing boosters for those who have already been vaccinated against current strains.

We should rule the world. 

Problems would be solved.

💚👑

• 1 month later...

Well , I can only speak for my little world, even though I'm vaccinated and since Feb. and going to be getting the jab on Friday morning for Flu and waiting on the booster for Moderna ( still waiting on final approval) I still wear my mask. I know that most of the mask mandates have been lifted, I still wear mine and truthfully, I am finding that I'm becoming more reclusive . I miss being in crowds like a concerts but I'm finding my trust with others is very thin. And it's sad . But.. it's also getting darker earlier and colder so this is KINDA par for the course.

On 9/6/2021 at 8:21 PM, heathber said:

Booster shots for the countries with money and resources to do it are inevitable, especially while there are countries unable to vaccinate large parts of their populations. The variants happen where the virus is spreading most, more chance of a mutation with each new host. If we ( the world) are going to get this thing under some sort of control we are going to need to work on whole world population vaccination not just each country looking after it's own.  The more it mutates the more often we will need boosters and the more likely it is that the next mutation/variant will be one that the vaccines don't work for.

Though I agree with this entire statement, the United States is one , if not the worst, super spreader.