NEED AFO INFO

2 1/2 years post stroke, my mother was fitted with an AFO She says it really bothers her foot, and she will not wear it. Does the AFO take time to get used to, or do you think it is not fitted properly? She already had a couple of adjustments., but the moment she starts to walk with it, she complains.

Door,

It is hard to say, what the problem is, it could not be fitted correctly, my afo rubbed the back of my calf so I did not like it, also I had to wear 2 different sizes of shoes which was awkward,it also may just be a mental thing :( I only wore my afo for about a month and threw it away, but my Doctor says I still need it, but for the reason's I listed above I make do without one.Good Luck

God Bless you both!

Tom

Door,

I'm like Tom, I used mine for a month or two, once I left the hospital and rehab, I stopped wearing it. They made a second one before it was the correct fix before I left the hospital. Ofcourse, I came home in a WC and went straight into more therapy where they said it wasn't needed anymore. That's when I learned to walk, climb stairs and drive.

From what you say, I think the best way to know what to do is go back to the rehab that made it to see what they recommend if possible.

Some body here may have had that same problem and can advise you better on your options. Good luck on a cure for your mom since it's been 2 1/2 years now. I'll be 2 years myself on the 15th.

Hi, Door - :hiya:

I can only comment on my experience with my AFO. I got a generic AFO about 2 weeks ago. It didn't fit perfectly, but I couldn't afford a custom fit device. I only wore it for a couple of hours the first day, increasing the time each day, while I got accustomed to it.

When I first put it on, it feels rather uncomfortable on the bottom of my foot. But within the first 5 minutes or so, everything seems much better. My therapist told me to wear thin knee length socks - I have added another pair of short "footy" socks to give me a better fit in the ankle and also more cushion on the bottom.

After checking with the rehab once again to make sure the fit is right, perhaps you can experiment with different socks, etc to try and find a more comfortable fit.

Good Luck - since using the AFO, walking is much improved. :out_of_here:

Debbie

Stroke Survivor 9/11/2005

ONCE AGAIN I CANNOT emphasize the value,necessity and importance for each,ALL, and every functionally recovering stroke patient to diligently zero in on and retain proficient,experienced, and qualified stroke recovery practitioners who should be able to resolve any particular recovery problem you may be encountering;you do not do yourself any favor by settling for inneffective ,treatment for the good money you are certainly forking over

ONCE AGAIN I CANNOT emphasize the value,necessity and importance for each,ALL, and every functionally recovering stroke patient to diligently zero in on and retain proficient,experienced, and qualified stroke recovery practitioners who should be able to resolve any particular recovery problem you may be encountering;you do not do yourself any favor by settling for inneffective ,treatment for the hard-earned money you are certainly going tobe forking over

Hi Door

I have the white plastic molded articulating AFO

I had to see the Orthotist several times for adjustments there is a break -n period in order for your muscles & ligaments to adjust to the new positioning

Originally he had the foot lift WAY TOO high - kind of like walking on my heel

Once he got that positioned right it didn't take long to get use to it

My purpose is weak ankle he set it up for toe drop

Now I wouldn't be w/o it my ankle is just mush

Once it is fitted right & the muscles get use to it it sh/be ok

Perhaps try different weight socks in it

Sue /Sudz

My AFO was cut some in the back, kind of in a half moon shape on the top instead of straight across. This made it more comfy to wear when I stood. I've had to have it modified twice so it fits better.

I bought shoes that have a removable insole and are 2 sizes to big, New Balance running shoes, and these seem to work just right for me. I also have a lift made into my right shoe.

Dorrie,

I'm a Physical Therapist as well as a 5 year stroke victor...still wear an AFO. It does take some time to get used to wearing the brace, but it does get better. The 2 different size shoe-thing is a pain, but I've found that Nordstrom's will sell a mismatched pair if there is a size-and-a-half difference between the two shoes. Most other places don't do that. I wish you and your mother well...

Angie

• 3 months later...

My husband had an AFO made while in the hospital. He never liked the feel of it. His feelings ranged from discomfort to excruciating pain. We complained constantly to the company that made it. They made several adjustments, but nothing worked.

It was very difficult for my husband to describe where he felt pain, as the stroke affected the feeling in his right side, and he suffers aphasia. It seemed they were trying to blow us off; like he was having phantom pain or something.

I finally told them they needed to make a completely new one. I got our PT and the orthosis rep together, and discovered the brace was not originally made to the required specifications!

The new AFO is better, but still needs occasional adjustments, due to changing/improving muscle use.

Sad but true, you need to squeak to get any oil!

• 6 months later...

I ALSO HAVE A AFO THAT HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH, I CAN E MAIL YOU BACK WITH WHAT I HAVE COME UP WITH TO MAKE IT EASIER ON ALLPARTIES :Clap-Hands:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: Email address deleted for member protection. Please send a PM (Personal Message). LW

I am fout years out from myt stroke./ i had an AFO forthe first year, and my PT sugggest dropping it, which I did for the next thre years. Last year, with snother PT, my foot continuedr to roll to the left, so she suggested a new AFO,. I was very reticent, telling her I felt it was going backward. But my rolling foot problem convinced me to give it a shot. I've been using it since mid- April i must say she was right. The foot problem is solved and I walk better with my cane. So I'm sticking with it, although I will probbly inestigsate walking without it, with my ner therapist this year.

tom holub

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

It's nothing unusual but i occasionally run into several of the folks i was with in acute rehab . That was a little over 2 1/2 years ago.

I bumped into a good friend at the grocery today and he was complaining about his AFO that's he's used off and on since his stroke. I mentioned that he should join up and talk with those who deal with these issues. He's not too well off financially because of the stroke and said he doesn't have internet access. So i told him that I would explore into it and get back with him.

Fortunately I didn't/don't use one but from what i 've been reading, in many cases. an AFO is very temporary and somewhat optional. Many seem to need one right after discharge but soon thereafter, with time, work themselves away from it. Much like i did with my wheelchair and cane.

It's great what a little time does for recovery. If you give yourself some.

TIA

Tom

Hi,

I've been utilizing my AFO for almost 2 years. I'm on my second one as I had weight loss and my 1st one was way too big and therefore useless. It did take me a little while to get used to it. I started off wearing thin knee highs; now I wear footie socks. With my shoes, I take out the insole of the left (affected) foot and the shoe fits better. You also have to watch how much of an arch is built into the shoe so you're not feeling like your being pushed forward. Good Luck. :big_grin:

hi there, i too wear an AFO and have had no problems, mine was custom fitted like a cast, only had to have the velcro replaced once or twice. it is not suppose to be uncomfortable if so you have a fitting issue. i have had to wear mine all day and cant walk without it or down i would go, my ankle is very unstable. been wearing mine for almost 5 years now. sounds like an adjustment might need to be made or a different type of AFO. hope you get it resolved soon. kimmie

Archived