Good Time vs Good Mental Health

The other night we went to see an awesome WA band, Birds of Tokyo.

They did a WA tour, as national tours too tricky at the moment with lockdowns everywhere over east.

These days, I'm not a fan of lots of people or lots of noise. Especially both at the same time!

We always book the same seats in the theatre, N36 and N37, right on the end, one step down into the auditorium. 

We sit there for a number of reasons: a) it's one step only, into the auditorium; b) if I need the loo in a hurry, I can make a quick exit and c) I don't have to squeeze past people (with dodgy body parts) if I need to get to the loo.

So, we waited until a lot of the crowd had gone in, then went to take our seats. Yep, you guessed it. Most of the people still at the bar belonged in our row!

They started coming in to the auditorium in dribs and drabs. Those with muscle weakness will get this. I either had to stand to let people through, or try and get my very uncontrollable leg to bend so my foot etc were out of the way.

Standing was no fun. People kept trying to push past before I could get my balance.  Trying to get my legs out of the way was no fun. I'm tall with my legs being the longest part of me, and my knee is still trying to recover from it all.

We aren't at the worst part yet.

So the warm up guy comes on. A local bloke, really good. People in our row weren't interested however.

Back and forth to the bar.

Drunk by the time the warm up guy finished. 

Short interval.  All back out to the bar.

My knee was so painful. Bending up to accommodate the drunks, then stretching out again so I was comfortable.  Oh, then a drunk would need another drink. Here we go again. 

Here come birds of tokyo.

I thought that might stop the bar flies.  WRONG. 

To and fro...

Not only were they annoying me, but everyone around them. Loud, obnoxious and did I mention drunk? The security guard ended up cutting them off from the bar.

By the end of the night I was trying not to cry.

Yes, everyone is allowed to have a good time. But a select few could have ruined in for so many other people. 

Good thing Birds of Tokyo rock.

The next job on my list is to write to the mayor (the theatre is owned by the council), asking him to have the bar closed during the actual performance. 

Going to ask him to organise a disabled sign for the disabled toilet too. That's a whole other story.

When I wasn't disabled, I would have happily taken on drunk chicks in the ladies, but these days my common-sense outweighs my fight mode.

https://g.co/kgs/Y2eLU3

So sorry that idiots stuffed up your night out. I can't imagine having a bar or the auditorium doors open during a performance. We can usually bring our drinks in (so long as they are not in glass) but once the doors shut they are shut (although I think the ushers will let you out to the loo if you ask).  I too get cross at the number of people who think a disabled loo is a free for all, I get quite a few dirty looks when I use one these days as I don't look so much like I need one any more. Especially if I've looked at the queue for the regular loo and then gone to the disabled one. People don't understand that standing in a queue makes me too disabled to use the regular loos, not to mention the "joys" of weakened pelvic floor control, meaning I might need room to change underclothes.

It bothers me that sometimes ( a lot of times) there is no consideration of the needs of handi-capped people. It's not anyone's fault really, because unless you have been handicapped yourself, or taken care of someone who is, you have no clue. 

Becky

• 2 weeks later...

Heather I get seriously mad at the judgemental types!!

Mind you, I can be guilty of that.

But yes, having to justify the need to use the disabled toilet is annoying and can be long winded.

Becky, so true.  I'm on anything these days, to make things better for disabled people, things I wouldn't have even given a second thought to before, or been guilty of.

I take photos of cars parked on footpaths and send them to council to fine people.  I complain about potholes on footpaths, when businesses have signage on footpaths and I can't get through. 

I complain about businesses not having a wide entrance so I can use my wheelchair, or clothes racks squashed together. 

All. Over. It.

💚👑🤣

True, Becky, I do point things out.

The down side to that, unfortunately, is that I'm always complaining!!

That can really drag me down.

But yes, someone has to do it.

If I mention things to this latest generation though, I might as well be talking to the wall.

No understanding, no acknowledgement, no cares.

💚👑

I was just thinking as I read your post. What if there is a designated area for anyone who needs this. No drinking, easy ability to mobilize, private areas to get to the loo and food etc. where others can not take over. It of course would have to be limited and I think it would also need some work put into it to be able to do this. I feel that everyone should be able to enjoy Birds of Tokyo or anyone else free of this kind of worry. I mean yeah it sounds like a big thing but I am thinking is it really? I mean for it to be done. I sure hope you get a listening ear Janelle and I'm glad Birds of Tokyo rocked. You are stronger than you think. I am honest I have a very strong willed stubborn southern mouth on me and yeah it would have been triggered. :#@</!!:

It's interesting you say "if I was there" Tracy. 

If there were other people with disabilities there, I certainly didn't see them.

Anywhere I go, I assess where's the best place to sit, the easiest chair to sit in, the safest route to the counter and toilets, hope no one with kids sits near me (they make walking very difficult, darting in and out of chairs).

Anyway, I'm thinking that maybe it's time to assess all these things in my head before accepting invitations. 

Maybe that's something I need to mention for QPT. There'd be more inclusive-ness if we didn't have to worry about every single thing about wanting a night out.

💚👑

Making a plan and doing the risk assessment in your head before you say yes is a good idea but also don't only go out when there's no risk, it would be lovely but it's not realistic, and you do need to live life, especially as you can at the moment (with Covid 0 status all around you, make the most of it while it lasts) and if it helps ask for help  with the expected risks before you accept the invite.

Heather you are so right! We are very fortunate here in WA and take our freedom for granted. 

Definitely need to make the most of it!

Regional Victoria coming out of lockdown I hear? Melbourne soon, hopefully 

💚👑

Can you call it out of lockdown when we still aren't allowed to go to other peoples homes at all. If it wasn't for being on NDIS and needing on site carers I would never see anyone in person, other than my weekly visit to the shops for necessities. p.s. I have moved out of Melbourne and am now Regional.