So you know how I went to the theatre to see Birds of Tokyo recently, and had issues regarding drunkards going out past me and back again?

I sent an email to the mayor regarding it, and he forwarded my email to the relevant staff.

I received an email from the staff today.

They have asked me to join a discussion panel regarding disability access, as apparently the theatre is going to be upgraded.

Help!!

Any ideas that I can toss at them will be appreciated!!

💚👑

Main thing I'd be saying is remember there are any many types of disability, not just those in wheelchairs, also companion seating is just as important as our access.  they want to cater for limited mobility, low vision, low hearing, over stimulation, ...  So quiet places for those who need to get away from too many people and too much light/sound. Not too many steps up or down and rails on steps available on both sides, or down the middle works really well too, a couple of the newer mebourne venues have this, although you need places to get through the rail every few rows as well, so you can choose to go down or up with the rail on the correct side for you. somewhere to stash chairs/scooters and walkers safely during the performance, wider seats, wider space between rows (so it's easier to get up and down or you don't need to do it as often)  if not for the whole theatre then do it for the rows easiest to get to.  If possible easy access to more than one section of the theatre, so that those with low vision and mobility issues can get close to the stage rather than being always at the back.

Is that enough to get you started 🙂

That is great to be asked to be part of the process.  

Door free washrooms.  Really appreciate washrooms where there is no door to battle or touch for that matter.  

Wow Janelle, you're so very lucky to live in such a great place that they even acknowledge your complaints and/or opinion. In the state I live here in Florida with a population of 20.7 million and my local population of Miami-Dade County we have 2.7 million I'd consider it a blessing that they listen and not fall on deaf ears. In fact, where I live many of the residents are now complaining about too many handicap parking spaces and are lobbying to get those spaces reduced to handle the unaffected population segments. I never realized the value of those parking spaces until I became mobility compromised and found them of great value. How it impacted those who really need the ease of access to local businesses. So my vote goes to keeping and maintenance of those much needed handicap parking spaces.

My original retirement plans were to sell my home and move to a less populated rural area. A place that is more suitable to live out my days and a place that would be more accommodating to seniors and those with disabilities. In the city/county I currently live and have grown up in, was much more affable to the locals and their opinions but as the population grew so did placing the needs of the few over the many. I'm a dinosaur here after 68yrs. Most of those that I grew up with have moved further north to leave the crowds behind. I just got anchored here with my job of 25yrs and a golden plan to put in 30yrs with my company and move, which was interrupted by my health. 

On the plus though, I do however live in a smaller coastal town that has implemented laws to allow golf carts on the public roadways which is more accommodating to the seniors for travel and easier access to local businesses and stops. I'm lucky and blessed to at least have that benefit. And have been thinking of selling my car that just sits in the garage and downsizing perhaps to a cart if needed.

So, that would be my suggestion, I'd likely to be focused on transportation and easy access for those with less mobility. I'd like to be more specific but in your situation were they care more as your post suggests, your choices are wide open. Your blessed, and I hope that your input falls on caring ears. Even the smallest things are of benefit. Good luck!

Good points Heather. I'm not quite sure how involved the upgrade will be, but they need to know all concerns then go from there.

Will your comment on acrod (disabled) parking made me realise that hadn't even thought about adding that in. Parking closer to the actual building would be good.

💚👑

If they can't do parking close then having a drop off/pickup zone is a workable alternative. Plenty of times Dad drops me and Mum off then goes and parks the car.