Boredom?

Sis LH

I hope it's OK that I posted on this page. My brother is 50 years old and suffered a massive stroke 1 1/2 yrs ago. He has no use of his right side and no speech. He is now living with me and I try to get him out as much as I can but I work full time. I often find him staring out a window or wanting to go out-anywhere. Do you have any suggestions of what I could find for him to do to occupy his time? His hobbies pre-stroke were hiking and biking. (He refuses to look at the 3 wheel bikes.) Any ideas will be appreciated.

Guest strokesimon

hi, this may sound stupid, but, it helps me alot.........a PLAYSTATION2, it gets your affected hand working & helps with reaction times, co-ordination. im sure theres a PS2 game to suit a 50yo guy!

or.........is there a rehab place nearby? i go to a place & i do woodwork, when i started there, i couldnt even stand up....now, im walking around all over the place like a gazelle on acid, with aid of course!

simon.

Hi Sis LH,

Is he able to walk, even slowly? I was also a hiker and took my bicycle every morning before my stroke. Being home was terrible, especially when my sister had to stay with me for two days and then the other days I had another nephew who took me out and my caregiver on weekends. Eventually, I did not want to bother them, so I told them "thank you, but I need to be alone."

They were happy since I decided to walk every morning and went to stores. My walk to my mall was just a ten minute walk, but after my stroke, I had to take more time, like 45 minutes. I always hated malls, but I enjoyed going after my stroke mostly because I had to learn things again, how to tell people what I need since I could not speak well. Then a friend told me that I should try to go to see movies instead of tv because I couldn't (and still) understand the actors on tv. the first movie I saw was "Titanic" since I knew the story and did not need the dialogues -- even still I go to see movies and understand what is going on.

Another thing I did at home was to take out all my pictures and scanned them and made a Family Album, and then eventually I was able to write a little again and found brain injury chatrooms. Being in a good chatroom is like learning how to use words again. Can he use his computer? In my first day in a chatroom, all I could say was "Hi" and had to read simple things, so happily I can read and write again. Maybe he may also try to write of how he feels which was good for me.

Bil

Thank you for the ideas. I did put a computer in his room but he has not wanted to even try anything on it. I think maybe it's because he can't understand things on the computer. I will keep tryin that.

Bill, Yes, he can walk with a cane slowly. He refuses to use the plastic leg brace so there is come concern about falling but he has not fallen in the 9 mos. he's lived with me. We live right near a large lake and great park so I'm hoping he will walk there in the summer. I am also going to get him an electric scooter. The winter months are definitely harder. I will also see if he wants to go see a movie. That's a great idea.

Thanks again.

My idea would be an exercise bike by schwinn. I got one downstairs that I try to use twice a day, some days more, some less.

Since you stated he love hiking and biking, that may fit in well. For his right foot, you can help him until he gets more strenght and use of his right side. A local bike shop can get a pedal with the strap on it, because they don't come with one. Atleast mine didn't.

Your insurance may pick up some of the cost, by his age, he's not quite ready for medicare. I don't know if he is VA eligible. I don't know what price range they are in, but all of the bigger stores carry them.

I use a scooter every day for shopping etc. Of course I drive too. My left side is affected, so driving is better for me. I hope he is doing his exercises they gave at the hospital to bring home and do.

Could it possibly be some depression? Sometimes things just seem almost impossible to enjoy due to post stroke. Maybe in time, he will come around. In the meantime, I would make things available for when he is ready. Just a thought!

Peggy :blah_blah:

My attention span at first was .... like gnat.. but I started playing solitaire on the computer

I have Hoyle card games for the computer,

you can set the level of play for easy, medium or hard.. also has a variety of characters to play with and they will talk, you can set the mode of talking to a little or a lot.

even has Go Fish at first I could barely get through one hand of solitaire, but as I played I found I could focus longer.

Mahjjong is matching tiles, there are different variations of the game.

and I have Scrabble. also can set it to easy, med or hard.. has a little hint box to help you make words with the tiles on your holder.

Bonnie

Sis

My husband Ray had nothing to do with computers prior to strokes but since I have been on Strokenet chat I have told him about it and now we occassionally go on chat together. We both read together what is being discussed, sometimes I reply and sometimes he does. We use his log-on when we are BOTH on.

There is a lot of joy in doing things together so ask him what he thinks you could both do ( you didn't state what your interests are). I guess you have some way of communicting with him that may lead you to the right answer.

If your time is full maybe other members of the family might take a turn taking him out? Or have you looked into seniors clubs which might offer trips out as part of their programs? I know there are some here.

Sue.

I hope it's OK that I posted on this page. My brother is 50 years old and suffered a massive stroke 1 1/2 yrs ago. He has no use of his right side and no speech. He is now living with me and I try to get him out as much as I can but I work full time. I often find him staring out a window or wanting to go out-anywhere. Do you have any suggestions of what I could find for him to do to occupy his time? His hobbies pre-stroke were hiking and biking. (He refuses to look at the 3 wheel bikes.) Any ideas will be appreciated.

This is a tough one -

Now, I have use of just my right side & keep busy on computer, limited baking, reading & some good movies -

it might help for him to go with you to a stroke group meeting where there are others who cannot speak, but remember he can hear & function, just not like he did before, but like i was told - you've been handed a lemon - just make lemonade!

@ 50 he needs to be told he's important & know you mean it -

hope i could help

June, from CT 1\a 20 yr. survivor :D

I was at a stroke support meeting last night and there was a man there who has aphasia. Physically, he is ok - but, he doesn't like to go to the gym etc. because people there can't understand "what is wrong with him". One woman suggested to his wife that perhaps she should take the iniative and put notes in groceries, the Y, etc. and say that her husband has aphasia and is looking for men who have had strokes etc.

They went somewhere and found 1 man and a zillion women. Guess some form of that may find you some contact.Even at our group last night- we don't get many but had just that man and one c/g husband and the rest women.........even if person could use a computer or get one of those that you talk into if speech is not a problem but physical is - there are many men here to chat with.

Hi, Sis -

My stroke was in August 2005. I can't get around by myself, so if my husband has to leave the house for awhile, he always gives me a

basket with things to keep me busy ...

book on tape, squishy ball to use in my right (affected) hand,

putty to play with, 1 lb soft handweights, magazines, and a finger

snack such as dry cereal.

I also have my laptop with me and I can always play games or listen to music or watch DVD's with captions.

The important thing that I want to mention is that

it IS VERYBORING especially when your deficits

are multiple or severe.

It just helps me, and hopefully others, to have useful items

close at hand. I even enjoy looking through old photo albums

while trying to remember everyone in the pictures.

Best Wishes,

Debbie

Archived