Severe Stroke Recovery Prognosis

My father, who is 60, suffered a severe stroke 4 days ago. He had a heart attack and bypass surgery 7 years ago and was doing well....he recently had a stent put in the 5th artery that wasn't bypassed and they took him off coumadin and put him on Plavix and aspirin...that was 2 months ago and they believe that unfortunately a clot did form and the distal artery in his brain got completely occluded.

He has extensive damage to the left side of his brain and can not talk or move his right arm/leg. The neurologists were very gloom and doom on Monday with the news but I feel like there is hope and wanted to get some feedback/thoughts.

On Monday when it happened, he was smiling periodically and definitely seemed to recognize us. He has been a little less engaged in the past few days but they said that could happen. We have seen several encouraging signs. He is swallowing well and is eating solids - pureed food. He responds to some commands and seems to be generally aware of what is going on. We also noticed today some attempt to move his right arm to scratch his head when his left arm was being held down. I feel like these are positive signs and not hopeless...

I know it will be a long road to recovery but most people can't believe he walked around for 4 days with a heart attack that required a quadruple bypass and the doctors indicate that the stroke he had is 'the big one' and many do not survive that...please let me know any thoughts you may have. I really am trying to be hopeful.

its late tonight, so your answers will be coming, even into the week-end. Welcome to the site, there is much to be learned. If you are still up, check out the Classic Posting Forum too.

I'm not up on your dad's condition, but some members here are and I'm sure will share their knowledge with you.

Check back often to see the replies to your post. My stroke was 2 years ago, a bleed in the brain, it was massive, hospital for 3 months. Affected my left side.

Guest Brenda65

Hi Deb,

Welcome to the board. You will find much needed support here. Just hang in there. Stroke recovery takes a very long time, months and years. My Mom just had her stroke, a bleed, to the parietal region of her brain. Her right side and speech are affected-she is apraxic.

She is in acute rehab right now and hopefully we will be able to get her into a sub acute facility before taking her home. Like your Dad's neurosurgeons, by Mom wasn't given much hope of coming out of it alive. But she is awake, breathing on her own and eating a pureed diet. She has intensive therapy 3-4 hours a day, speech, occupational and physical therapy.

Welcome and keep on reading-it gives me hope everyday!

Brenda

Hi dfebner,

On 5/21/00 my husand had his stroke at 58 years old, he had had four by-passes over a decade before that. His stroke was very severe, too. In fact, two nuerologists at a leading rehab hospital gave him the "vegetable for life" prognosis and he was shipped off to a nursing home where he stayed a month before we found him a small hospital who gave him a chance at rehab. All total, he was in the hospital/nursing home/rehab 101 days plus 5 months of intense out-patient therapies 4 days a week.

Fast forward to today---we went to his speech class at a college and out to dinner afterwards with some other clients in the program. Tomorrow we'll run errands and go out to lunch. This weekend we'll go to the movies and to the lodge for dinner. His intelligent and great sense of humor are the same as pre-stroke.

I won't lie and say it was easy getting to this place where we now have a nice social life (and acceptance). It took a couple of years and my husband still uses a wheelchair. But my point in telling you this is to let you know that you can't always believe the negative stuff the doctors tell you. The will power of the survivor, the family support and a survivor's willingness to work hard are things the medical community can't measure and they are extremely important in the recovery process.

Jean

Hi Deb,

Welcome to the site. I have found this to be a great place to read and learn, I hope you do, too!

When you check out the "Classic Posting Forum," be sure to read the last thread: "A Message From Your Brain." It is very moving and makes so much sense. I found it awfully encouraging; it helped to put many things into perspective for me!

I try to find the smallest of things each day that are positive that my dad does.. or that has happened. Looking at all the positives, regardless of how long the road will be, makes it that much easier to travel.

Give it a try!

My dad had a large bleed and wasn't given much chance of making a recovery. I am not sure why that is. But my mom and I have never given up hope regardless of what the doctors have said... or even haven't said.

Dad's right side has been effected, and he is on a trache tube not eating ANY foods. . . yet. But we are hoping he will one day be in a different situation.

"Slow and steady" wins the race everytime, and not to say this is a race, but that is the mindset we have for dad. One step at a time.. 'baby steps' at that. The longest journey cannot begin without the smallest of steps...

That's how we are taking things.

Hope this has been helpful. Good luck!

HUGZ!

I just found out this morning that he is now seeming more lethargic and not eating - they put the feeding tube back in...should I be completely discouraged at this point? I just don't know what to think...we started seeing a light and thinking about rehab and now I'm concerned about getting through this even...any additional insight is appreciated.

dfebner,

Ups and downs and set backs are typical of the early days/weeks/months after a stroke. Stroke recovery is often a one step forward, two steps back situation. At 4-5 days out like your dad it, no one can tell you what is going to happen in the future. You just have to take it one day at a time.

Jean

My Mom had a stroke 6 months ago. She too was paralyzed on the right side and could not speak. The first few days she seemed to know what was happening and she too moved her leg and arm and then nothing. She was also very tired, napping etc. and we were getting worried. The Dr. told us she needs to "rest" her brain has undergone a huge injury. After 6 days she was stable enough to transfer to a rehab hospital were she had intensive rehab 5-6 days per week. 1 hour each of speech, OT and PT. Today she is home, uses a wheelchair to move around, can get dressed with some assistance. Her speech is getting better. She can communicate her needs by speaking, writing or gesturing. She still has therapy at home and we work with her all the time. It is a slow recovery and no one can tell you the outcome. Just hang in there and accept the small changes that take place. I never thought I would see the day when my mom would stand at the kitchen sink and not "wobble" around. There were days during her therapy that i had to leave because i thought she was going to fall off the mat.

Thank you all for your replies - they are much appreciated. I am trying to take each day slowly...unfortunately I had to leave today to go back to work and I travel...so I will not see him for a few days.

He was doing much better on Saturday and then yesterday looks like he got an infection in his lungs that they are treating...so more sleeping. I am trying to keep all the points you raised about patience in the back of my mind. He did reach for my hand when I came on Sunday to see him. They said he retracted slightly after intense pressure to his right hand and foot (which is the affected side) and he remains strong in the left side.

It is very helpful to read other experiences on the site and have responses to this situation. I continue to look forward to your feedback.

Thanks,

Dorree

hi deb,

my family was told initially by the doctors that i had a 10% chance at best of survival, and if i did i would never walk nor move again; they were told to look in to a long term care facility for me in the unlikely event that i lived. that was last march, almost 12 months later, i walk unassisted, and beyond my arm which i am still working to get back, it is barely apparent that this happened to me. point being, i think the doctors often aren't quite sure, and offer the worse case scenario. it still touches me to recall my first out patient follow up visit 4 months after being released from a rhab facility. i was sitting in the exam room, the doctor walked in, looked around for my wheelchair, and asked "can you walk?" when i responded that i could he said go ahead let me see. i got up and walked over to him and he grabbed me, hugged me and said "i never thought you would again" i started to cry, and when he released me, i could see he was welled up. he then took off through the office to gather up his associates and surgical team to show them. he still collects them to take a gander at me each time i'm there. point again, sometimes i think they're surprised themselves by the inaccuracy of their predictions. only God knows, keep the faith.

enough of my long winded, as they usually are, response. keep a positive outlook, it sounds like he's showing signs of progress already, and stick with this site. we are all here to help and offer support.

prayers,

maria

hi deb/doree:

I stroked at 34, somehow I was surrounded by great doctors who told me my stroke was massive but I will be still fine after rehab. I was in ICU for 4 weeks before I was released to rehab hospital, I was very determined not to walk with any assitance, and by greatness of God today I m able to walk unassisted, take care of my family (hubby&son). I travel with my family. nobody knows future, but keep faith& support to your dad, each small achievment encourage it. I m also blessed by great family

Asha

I agree with Maria. They told us my mom would never walk again. 6 months later she is steady and can walk short distances. In time it will improve. Stay positive. Drs. should try to be more encouraging if they can't predict the future.

-------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: dfebner has updated her dad's progress in the Caregiver and Family Support forum. Follow this link: http://www.strokeboard.net/index.php?showt...t=0entry38187 MBA: JR

Archived