what your body can hide

becky1

Some of you may have noticed that I wasn't here for about 2 wks. recently. I was sick with Shingles I had heard of it, knew kind of what it was, but didn't know how sick it can make you, and it can make you very sick. OHE ARTICLE i READ SAID THAT IT CAN HAVE AS MANY As 15 SYMPtoms.Some of you may already know that if you've had a stroke, you might experience illnesses differently than non-strokers.  I don't know how my case differs from others'. I JUST KNOW THAT YOU DON'T WANT IT. But the good news Iwanted ya'll to know is that there is a vaccine which is recommended for people 50 and over. Talk to your docs. Becky

.s 

Damn it Becky like so many of us feel from time to time. "Wasn't this stroke enough?" We all have found strength we didn't know was there and had to dig deep to find. Way to go! Before I stroked I knew someone that had shingles and they warned me how bad it can be. I got vaxed back then right away pre 2016. I think at the time it was 2 shots and at least 6 months between the 2. Wishing you a continuing recovery.

Yep Shingles is a nasty beast and it inflames the nerves so of course its particularly bad for those of us with brain injury. I think it may also be also one of those viruses that buries itself in your cells and comes out when it's most inconvenient.

That vaccine is usually recommended to grand parents as the kids tend to bring it home with them around the time your childhood immunity is waning.

I do hope you recover quickly Becky. Hang in there and rest.

Yep been there.  Had a little plastic surgery to face to remove scaring and that tingle.  Was put in quarantine for 2 weeks in hospital.  Forgot all about that health set back.  

Thought I'd better add my contribution......I had shingles when I was 29, I was a part-time fireman at the time and was furious about the situation. Shingles was for old women, not young men was everyones attitude and I had to take some ribbing by my companions. The nagging pain in my ribs was relentless and just sapped my energy. I was completely off work for six weeks but was able to mix with others and even attend firemen's training evenings as long as I did not take part since the virus was not transmittable.

In those days there was no relief for the pain except aspirin, which honestly did not help much. I presume that nowadays there are other drugs available. 

Deigh

Out of week 4, Becky.

Hope the pain doesn't last too long, Becky.

I'm hoping there has been drug development in 60 years Deigh!!

Not sure if aspirin is a prescribed thing anymore. Saying that, I take aspirin every day for blood thinning. 

💚👑

YEAH, MY DOC SAID TO TAKE MY baclofen for pain and ibuprofen. but i had a reaction to the combo. S O THEN SHE SAID TO LAY OFF THEM FOR ABOUT 3 DAYS, AND THEN RESUME THE baclofen, which I never did. So I WENT WITHOUT PAIN MEDS.   BECKY 

Oh dear Becky I completely understand about not getting shingles. I, thankfully, have not had them personally but my previous manager from years ago developed them all over one side of her head and scalp. :sorry: Suffering, painful, she couldn't wash her hair, she had to apply greasy ointment on everyday (she still came to work sometimes...tough lady). It was months and more months of residual pain and neurological pain. I think she took gabapentin for a good while. I am planning on my vaccine as soon as I can get it.