physical therapy

what types of exercises do you do at therapy to help you to walk unaided. I am walking with a single point can at tis time. Mt son is graduating from college in my and my goal is to go walking on my own. Any help you can give me would be appreciated. thanks.

dalene,

It depends on where your deficits are ankle problems, knee problems you did not metion what part of your leg you are having problems with, tell us a little more, however the best avice is still to consult your pt.

God Bless,

Tom

DALENE,

I CAN WALK WITHOUT A CANE AND HERE'S HOW I DID IT. PRAYER, LOTS OF PRAYER. JUST KIDDING.

I WOULD LIE 0N THE BED AND LIFT MY LEGS UP JUST LIKE BICYCLING. I WALKED UP AND DOWN STAIRS, SOMETIMES SIDEWAYS TO HELP WITH BALANCE, (JUST A SHORT STAIRCASE). WALKING ON GRASS OR SAND, IF POSSIBLE, IS GOOD THERAPY. IF THERE IS A POOL AVAILABLE, AS A YMCA, WALKING IN WATER IS TERRIFIC. I STILL DO WATER THERAPY 3 TIMES A WEEK. STAND FACING THE WALL AND DO LEG STRETCHES AS IF YOU'RE GETTING READY TO RUN A MARATHON.

ANYTHING TO MAKE THE HAMSTRING STRONGER AS ABOVE MAKES A DIFFERENCE. GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY EXERCISING.

MARTY :D

As Tom said, you need to consult you pt. Ask for specific exercises to meet your goal. To strengthen my legs and balance, I stand on one foot for a count of 20-60 (depends on level of strength daily), repeat 2 or 3 times then try to do it a couple of times a day.

Another one I find helpful is "line" walking. One foot directly in front of the other - both forward and backward. It does require concentration which is really good for me as I have trouble focusing. Sometimes I do use a cane but am not sure how much it actually helps me. My hubby is my walking cane so he bridges the times when I am walking with difficulty.

You can do it!

Stay well,

Linnie

Dalene, I'm gonna guess you are not in rehab therapy and are home. Well, they gave me some exercises to do at home, which is what has already been said.

I left the hospital after 3 months not walking. I have had therapy off and on since coming home 2 years ago. I still walk with a quad cane, not even close to being without something to help carry me along.

May is 2 months away, good luck. I walked my daughter down the isle for her wedding last year with my cane. There was no other way in my case. Maybe a stationary bike would speed up your ability to walk without help a litttle faster. It helps me, but I'm just not there yet.

I had problems picking up my foot and kept tripping myself. I am careful now to wear shoes that don't have a thick sole. My PT had me sit with my legs out and practice pulling my toes towards my knee and back, so I learned to flex the ankel and I guess get more strenght,

it again likes other said depends on what are of the leg you have problems with, I walk unaided, but do have a noticable limp.'

Bonnie

• 2 weeks later...

From a Physical Therapist point of view...I'd say first of all, you need to strengthen the Quad muscles (thigh area). The quads help with getting to a standing position. Then progress to walking, could use treadmill at SLOW speeds then to a more "normal" speed for you. I'm not sure you'll be ready to walk without the cane by May. Good luck to you!

angb :)

Dalene,

Did you get back with us to read some of the suggestions given to your question of exercises to help with walking unassisted. I hope you have and tried them and are walking much better. We would love to know how you are doing these days.

May is just around the corner. Congratulations on your son's big time graduation, that's a milestone and feather in your hat.

hi all,

I am walking short distances without my cane but only in the house and at therapy. I am using 4 lb. weights on my ankles to strenthen my knee so that it doesn't buckle on me. I am walking on the treadmill for 6 min at 1.2 mph and ride me bike for 20 minutes every day. It is hard for me to get my heel to strike the floor first . I have to work on that. My husband took me shopping today and I pushed the shopping cart for almost 3 hrs with a few rests. A big accomplishment for me. I don't know that I will walk without my cane by May 6, but I will work hard to get it done as soon as I can. As soon as we get our pool open and the weather warms up in Ohio, I will begin some water therapy. Thanks to you all for the help and words of encouragement.

Dalene,

The water therapy should really help strenghten the muscles,just walking around in the pool is good or holding onto the side kicking will also help.Keep up the good work!

God Bless,

Tom

Archived