Hyperbaric Treatments?

azrabbit,

If you have the opportunity to get free hyperbaric treatments for your husband, consider it. As long as they're administered by someone knowledgeable, I think he'll benefit. But there are those on these boards who know a lot more than I do about the procedure, since they have 1st hand experience. I know the idea is to feed the brain more oxygen. Since there was a lack of oxygen to the brain during the stroke, the body is supposed to benefit from the treatment. If the cost wasn't so great, and if the results weren't so mixed, I would urge my mother to try it....

Dorrie

Azrabbit,

I ask the same questions when I joined this group. There are quite a few post and replies to the subject and people that has done the treatments here. It was just too costly for me then and now. Probably the one where many have been treated is in Florida. However,there are many around the country, Texas, California and Canada included.

Some neurologist don't recommend it because it's like some meds, they don't work for every case. That leaves it a sorta 50/50 chance at thousand of dollars. If you can get it free or reduced prices, give it a try.

We are going to give it a shot. We have been offered the use of the chamber for a greatly reduced rate. I know when my daughter was a nanny for a 5 year old that suffered from shaken baby brain injury, she was able to take her into a chamber and the results were pretty stunning. I will let you all know how it goes once we get it set up and try it. Thanks for the responses.

If you have a chance to have free treatments in a hyperbaric chamber run to the place. We have traveled to Florida twice and my husband and I both think they are great and could tell a difference. In two times he has had 37 treatments. The last time we went he missed two treatments as his sinuses were clogged and you can't take the pain to go under then. He feels more alert and his hand works better. What many believe is that all the brain cells did not die from stroke. There are neurons idling and the extra oxygen will wake them up. We highly recommend it. If anyone else is looking for this treatment in their state I do have a list of where the hyperbaric chambers are located. They aren't in Iowa or Minnesota or Nebraska which I think is a real shame. Every hospital should have them for a stroke patient who is brought in. In some parts of Germany they use the chambers on stroke patients the first three weeks and it has cut their insurance cost by 71%. But that would probably hurt the nursing homes and pharmaceutical companies here. As I said, RUN to the place and have as many treatments as possible!!!!

I would appreciate knowing more about the procedure-the hospital here has a hyperbaric chamber but it is not used for stroke victims-it is only used for wound healing.

My husband is not able to travel to others I've heard of-if we had a treatment plan I might be able to get our doctor to allow the procedure. I would not hesitate to do it for my husband

Thanks for any help you can give.

Most hospitals who have hyperbaric oxygen chambers use them for burn victims, and other wound patients like you state. Maybe you can go to Dr. Perlmutter's website, or better yet have your doctor talk to him.

Dorrie

In Iowa that is all they use them for. we also have them at the University Hospital but werent allowed to use them. What state are you in? You just lie in a glass enclosed case and they take the pressure down. Where we go, he watches movies or sleeps. There are a lot of children with CP that use them and I have seen so many head injuries while we were there. As I said before, I think they are great.

Thanks for all the replys. We are trying to get it set up and scheduled. I am encouraged with the responses. I did read a lot on the internet, and it seems the traditional medical community doesn't put much stock in the treatment. BUT, what I have found is they haven't bothered to study it because of the nature of all stokes being so different, it is difficult to do a controlled "blind" study.

HI. THERE WAS AN ARTICLE PUBLISHED IN CLINICAL REHABILITATION IN 2005 THAT REVIEWED ALL OF THE HYPERBARIC STUDIES DONE (IT WAS ALSO SUMMARIZED IN ONE OF THE RECENT STROKE MAGAZINES)...IT SHOWED NO EFFECTIVENESS OF THESE TREATMENTS.

THE PERSON WHO ADVERTISES IN THE STROKE MAGAZINES, DR STEENBLOCK, HAS A LESS THAN STELLAR REPUTATION...SEE http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/steenblock1.html

AMAZING THE STUFF YOU FIND OUT ON THE WEB...

• 5 weeks later...

I had 8 HBOT sessions in a month and did not do a thing for me. The Chiro could not tell me how many times before I see the results. I stopped and did not want cash coming out of my pocket. I think the claims are exaggerated.

Archived