Being the best I can be

Being the best I can be each day...but is it enough?

Having diabetes, my diet should be sugar free.

Diabetes shmyer-metes. Pffft...

I need to seriously be the best person I can be each day.

Be mindful of my limits, instead of pushing myself and then paying for it for the next three days.

Being sub-par is not good.

But it's funner.

💚👑

true there is a point where life is not living. Do you want to be here for a long time or a fun time, and yes the answer to that question changes every day. And sometimes the fun time make the next few days feel very long. Having to choose what you can do sucks.  I guess it comes back to "crip time" again.

Crip time: A concept arising from disabled experience that addresses the ways that disabled/chronically ill and neurodivergent people experience time (and space) differently than able-bodyminded folk.

https://dsq-sds.org/article/view/5824/4684?fbclid=IwAR0_ieqL_SSgzhgdfH02_qZI3L2DBYNoy7ebmIy53nXxHgjJLUR3p2rdMZg

https://www.firstpost.com/living/the-value-of-crip-time-discarding-notions-of-productivity-and-guilt-to-listen-to-the-rhythms-of-our-bodies-8440551.html

Two excellent letters here, Quite agree with heathber, There are rules that have to be obeyed in order to exist at all but sometimes it pays to kick the rules aside and live, even though you know you will pay for it.

I'm continually being told off by my wife for overdoing things and every now and then learn and make adjustments so that the excesses are manageable.

Life at any cost is not worth it! Life is for living.

Deigh.

I can relate to both. Though this year I am feeling physically weaker than I ever have and I am so aware that if I don't work on my stamina I'm going to short change myself. As far as cheating (being a diabetic myself) well i am not a strict miser about it. I fall off when holidays pop up or the occasional I have to have something "real" sweet. I just get off that train and hop back on the right one. I think it keeps me from going full postal and eating a whole cake lol. I certainly do feel there are things I can do to improve some aspects of myself. I think I have been working on them since I had the stroke. Baby step by baby step I'm getting better at being me.

Being you is the best thing!  And as my physio says if you get off the train. Get off for something you really enjoy and savor every bite of it as a treat, then get back on the train.  Applies to activities as much as food.

15 hours ago, heathber said:

Being you is the best thing!  And as my physio says if you get off the train. Get off for something you really enjoy and savor every bite of it as a treat, then get back on the train.  Applies to activities as much as food.

I really like that one & stroke boy gets it too. Ha-ha "Stroke boy" is how I refer to myself around my 2 Grandsons, 8 &11. They laugh and use it themselves sometimes. It keeps things light and in perspective for them. That's my goal.

22 hours ago, heathber said:

THIS!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I so agree with your physio I believe doing things in moderation & enjoy every bit of it so if I die this instant I will be happy one  ate well, played well & slept well, though I don't have diabetes or any other illness except stroke.

Asha

I guess that there is no one answer; I change opinion regularly.  I go through periods where I would happily kill myself, were it not for the impact on my family.  And other spells where I think that life is just fine, even if not as good as before.

COVID lockdowns (both self-imposed and mandatory) have only made things more volatile.

Family and friends keep me going.

Absolutely, being the best you can be is often better said than done. And you're right, not as fun. I was just talking about this the other day that I'm supposed to be dairy, soy and gluten-free. Most times it's easy, but I REALLY love pizza and some pasta then i say I want to live my best life so Carpe Diem, but then I suffer from the pain. grr:angry: