The mobile phone is and essential these days. My old one had an unreliable battery so it was time to buy a new one and change my supplier to a more inexpensive outfit especially designed for people with my living problems. Firstly a new phone is found via internet since lockdown hindered shopping. It arrived, got unwrapped and put on charge. I daren't use it until I have a safe cover so it sits there for a few days till I'm able to shop for one.

A week later this is done and I'm the proud owner of a flash case that can hold my credit cards too.

Next stage is to find how to get it working and questioning via internet tells me I need a SIM and can purchase one in any Post Office. Next day this is achieved and I learn by trial and error ( plus a few swear words) how to insert it. That is enough effort for one day and the next day I find time to obey the instructions to get my account transferred from 'Spark' to 'Skinny'. This was again problematic despite the authorities assuring me that it was simple, but at last I saw both phones talking to each other and passing my info from one to another. This would take some time so I left the phones chatting to each other and went to bed. This was three days ago.

I woke at 6am yesterday after hearing a crumpling sound from the kitchen. I recognised the sound, having heard it before, it was my wife Valerie crashing to the floor. She was laying still and uncomfortably contorted and I instantly thought the worst but was relieved after a few seconds when she made a sound despite being unconscious. I put a folded towel under her head and manoeuvred her into the recovery position. That was all I could do, now I needed assistance and grabbed my new phone. I tapped the phone icon and got the following message "Welcome To Skinny, you have no data, to obtain some do the following.........................."

What a disaster! Fortunately my wife's phone was available and I summoned assistance via that but it rather shook me up.

She spent the day in hospital, they could not find what caused the collapse but after scanning and blood testing they allowed her to come home very bruised, shaken and tired. Naturally I'm very pleased to have her home but I thought I'd share the experience with you all. I'm now chief cook and bottle washer as well as my normal duties. Plus of course neck and back massager extraordinary!

Deigh

((HUGS)) for you both Deigh, fingers crossed they work out what caused it, but you may not ever know.  So glad you had a working phone in the house. Changing over hardware always has more challenges than you expect. I'm in the middle of a compulsory PC Refresh for work and it sucks. I spent days trying to get it to talk to the work network and eventually gave up and gave it back to our IT Support, and he had to wipe it and start again. I'll pick it up again next week and then the fun of transferring applications, data and settings begins.

I'm sure you'll excel at chief cook and bottle washer duties, as well as nursing and comfort care where needed. Remember to breathe you got this.

Heather

Oh my gosh Deigh!!

What a scare for you both!

Much love to Valerie as she recovers!!

Glad you had enough sense to use her phone! Situations like that  at times make us lose common sense!

💚👑

oh wow deigh this is so scary I  hate changes.  I am gkad you had valeries phone to get help & now will have time to sort out your new phone woes enlist your grandchildren to make you proficient with new device.

Asha

Getting the phone organised is taking even longer than I expected. Made several attempts to do it using the phone itself but always ended up going round in circles. Yesterday Being Xmas Eve here I deliberately put time aside to get on my computer and finally get it sorted, after a few minutes of being unable to get a live person on the chat line I found that the whole site was closed for the Xmas holiday period, just leaving a robot to answer questions!

Valerie is improving daily but suffering rather badly from the whiplash effect of the fall. This problem did  not emerge till a couple of days after returning home or the hospital would have fitted her with a neck brace. 

Deigh

• 2 weeks later...

Oh dear, that's not good Deigh. 

Is that something that will improve?

💚👑

Cant answer that one Janelle, Wish someone could invent a personal airbag that she could wear as a scarf but would instantly explode into a shock absorbing cushion as she fell. just like the airbags in your car. 

Deigh

Deigh my father in law had Alzhiemers, and lived in a nursing home the last few years.

One of the ladies fell all the time, so she wore a bike helmet permanently. 

Not saying Valerie wants to do that, but if she's having a busy day...whatever it takes.

💚👑

Janelle, how about you trying to convince Valerie to wear a crash helmet? I have about as much chance as a snowball in hell in getting her to adopt this!

Like all women she is stubborn to the extreme  when it comes to doing something that is obviously  unchicque.

Deigh