wearing AFO

Hi Everybody

I wear an AFO (brace) on my right leg .I have a question for anyone who has one or had to wear one.

Can you go without it? or when were you able to stop wearing it.? I can walk witout it and I'm comfortable without it but I walk a little faster but more stiff with it. I wear it when I know I'll be walking a lot or standing for a while because it makes me feel more safe. I guess I'm just tired of it.

Lagen (Laura) :uhm:

Laura,

I only wore my afo for about 6 months, then when I saw I could walk ok inside the house I decided to quit wearing it all of the time, it was summer time and I didn't like the way it felt on the back of my leg while wearing shorts, according to my therapist I quit wearing it too early, but I had had enough of it so I quit, if you choose to stop wearing it please be careful as my ankle does turn easily and I trip easily because I do not get the proper toe clearance when walking.

God Bless,

Tom

Hey everyone! I have worn my AFO for the entire 5 yrs since I've had it. I'm really just starting to experiment with walking minus the brace in public. I walk much better with the AFO and so I typically wear it all the time when I'm out and about. As a Physical Therapist, there is no way I'd be able to work with patients if I didn't have the brace on (it provides stability and support for my ankle/foot). That's great if you guys are able to walk pretty well without an AFO.

LAURA,

I WORE AN AFO FOR THE FIRST SIX MONTHS BECAUSE IT HELPED PICK MY LEG UP WHILE WALKING. I DECIDED I HAD ENOUGH OF THE BRACE AND "CHUCKED IT". THE FIRST FEW MONTHS WITHOUT IT WERE A REAL CHALLENGE. I DRAGGED MY LEG, TRIPPED A LOT, AND CONSTANTLY SCARED THE HE** OUT MY WIFE. SO I BECAME VEEEEERY CAREFUL.

WELL, IT'S BEEN 23 MONTHS WITH NO AFO. I WALK BETTER, I HAVEN'T TRIPPED IN MONTHS AND THO I LIMP, I'M MUCH HAPPIER WITHOUT IT. IF I WALK A LONG DISTANCE, I USE A CANE TO HELP WITH BALANCE. CONCENTRATION WHILE MOVING IS EXTREMLY IMPORTANT. LET THE MIND WANDER, AND OLD HABITS COME BACK.

HAPPY WALKING.

MARTY :D

Guest PERRYS

OK, now from a non-walking point of view.

I can stand, but I have a hard time walking. Without my AFO my foot turns in especially when I try to put any weight on it. So if we're going out anywhere I am always wearing my brace.

Hi Laura,

I wore the brace for 3 months in hospital, 3 months after that. My PT therapist insisted I didn't need it any longer. I came home in a wheel chair from the hospital. I learned to walk and climb stairs during that 3 months, plus how to drive again.

I really think it depends on the brain damage on how your leg and foot acts, so the time of need and use will vary for each person.

I'm wondering if you are driving yet and what did your last PT therapist think on your progress with/without the brace? :scooter:

Hi Laura,

My husband still uses his AFO, 15 months post stroke. He doesn't feel comfortable (stable) going outside without it. He is quick to say "I can't do this" with anything. He has gone without it at times when he's feeling good, but I think safety is the most important thing for him right now.

I guess the key is whether you feel confident in your stability - and whether you want to risk a fall when you go out without the added stability the AFO provides!!!

Warmly,

Hey scooterman

Thanks for the reply. I live in Chicago and I never really learn to drive very well I rely on public trans, and the goodness of friends and family. The PT told me that she wanted me to have the brace because people who wear them sieem to get closer to normal faster and it would help me to walk faster. I just don't think it will look so great for summer. You understand how women can be about appearence.

Laura :big_grin:

Thanks Everyone. I love you guys you know just what to say. :friends:

Laura

I have been going to PT fot 5 months now and am going to be released tomorrow. I have been seeing PT assistant. I am being evaluated by a regular therapist before my release. Yesterday he sais that my ankle was weak and I should think about going back to AFO which I haven't worn since Jan. I put it on yesterday and went crazy. It was so uncomfortable. He also said that wearing it would help my gait. I see him for the last time tomorrow and I'm hoping that maybe just an ankle brace would work as it would be less limiting. By the way I am walking w/o a cane around the house and with when I go out. I am also having a a problem with me toes curlong under when I get nervous out in public. I will let you know what he says tomorrow.

Laura- I've worn my lovely AFO for at least a year and half if I don't wear it my ankle turns on its side. If I could go w/out it I would in a heart beat now that summer is almost here. I loved wearing sandles before stroke. The thing that puzzles me is for at least the first 6-7 months after I stroked and when I was a in-patient I didn't have to wear anything then it seemed as time went on my ankle got worse.

Dalene- My toes curl under too when walking, more so when nervous, like you in the public...Good luck w/ your PT on which ever way you want it to go........rose

Laura, I should had added to my last post, it seems safety is the main thing. If it really makes you feel safer walking then I would by all means wear it. I think a strong ankle/foot so one doesn't fall over rules on wearing or not wearing it.....rose

I got released from PT on Thursday and was given alot og exercises to do at home( at lot of pool exercises too--if it ever warms up in Ohio) He said wearing the AFO would make my gait better, until my ankle gets stronger. After thinking about it how will ankle get stronger if you don't use it. I put it on for a while, but it is so rigid it drives me crazy. I will do extra exercises just to strengthen my anlke so I don't have to wear it.

I have been wearing an AFO since December 2005. The first one was a generic brace that didn't provide enough stability for me. So then I had a custom fit brace made for me. It really makes a difference.

I have been told by my neurologist that I should plan on using an AFO for the rest of my life.

Whatever happens, I will wear the AFO as long as my doctors say so.

Debbie

Hi,

I am 9 yrs post-stroke and have always worn an AFO during this time. This year I tried botox injection to help with the stiffness in my leg. After two viles of injections each time; first in lower leg, then in the thigh; my neurologist and i have made peace with abandoning the treatment which are costly to both me and my insurer. There has been hardly any change so I will continue to take walks as best I can the way God has redesigned me. I will be ok.

best,

Pat

• 3 weeks later...

i wore my afo for the first6 mos then decided to stop but i use my cane for leverage i stopped using it (af0)mainly becaquse of tightness in my calf it was uncomfortable i bought a small ankle brace for fear of turning it out wrong but the more i walk without it the more confident i become good luck for the first couple of weeks felt like i was drunk but got so much better

• 1 month later...

:Tantrum:

I PREFER WEARING NO BRACE AT ALL, BUT IT MAKES ME WALK SAFER. THE BENEFITS CERTAINLY OUTWEIGH THE RISKS.

I TOO HAVE PROBLEMS WITH FOOT TURNING AND NOW HAVE HYPEREXTENSION IN RIGHT KNEE. MY TOES CURL ALOT, EVEN WITHOUT SHOES. I WALK VERY SLOWLY AT HOME, BUT WOULD NEVER GO WITHOUT IT ANYWHERE. SURE ITS UGLY, BUT I DON'T CARE.

I PLAN ON WEARING IT THE REST OF MY LIFE. IF A MIRACLE HAPPENS WHEN I CAN WALK SAFELY WITHOUT IT, THEN I WOULD LOVE THAT.

SURE A WOMAN MISSES SUMMER SANDALS AND SHOES. OH WELL, THEY'RE JUST SHOES. I STILL HAVE ALOT TO OFFER THE WORLD OTHER THAN MY SHOES, AND MY HUBBY WOULD AGREE.......

Hi guys,

There are some new things out there for the in between the AFO and no AFO for those with the issue of some foot drop. One is called a Foot Up brace. Black neoprene sleeve which goes around your ankle and a plastic insert which is placed in your shoelaces with an elastic strap in between. Also saw a new one today, similar, but a little more rigid to help keep better metatarsal (foot bone) alignment. Don't have a name on that one, but it was brought in by our Hanger rep. Both are available by prescription, need to go through your local PT. I know the Foot Up has been covered by most insurances, but if not, it retails for under $100. Still not a sandal solution, but I hope this helps. ^_^

I wish you the best, but I can't figure out why you would want to wear an AFO if you can walk without it -

I am 20 yrs. in my AFO & sneakers & would love to be able to be in your shoes & not have to wear one -

My best advice is get some PT in relearning how to walk in normal shoes WITHOUT the brace

Good Luck

June, a 20 yr. survivor

Laura,

My story is not as appealing as the other posts, but my stroke was severe, basically wore the AFO for four years mainly because my ankle rolls out not "in" like many of the others. I too cared about appearance being a young 40 year old man shoes over the AFO are limited for us young folk stylish with velcro closures etc. Happy to say now though I wear short ankle brace called a ultra brace I only wear rigid AFO when walking in grass working in roses or hunting.C ontact your favorite orthotist check out small ankle supporting braces maybe all you need when accompanied by a mid to hightop shoe my ankle is very stable feel less self concious with shorts next step out of this short support is no support which I estimate to be another 12 moths that would be 12 total in all just started with it all the best

Kevin.

I also wear an AFO and I must say I love it. I think I would dip my entire left side in plastic if it meant I could walk better :)

There are a lot of sandals that strap you in enough to accomodate the brace and you can still look stylish. Also, for the women, Mary Janes seem to be back in style, another option for those of us w/ weak ankles.

Laura -

Your the only one who knows whats best for you, but if you can do without your brace, then get more PT, talk to your doc. and maybe its time to wean yourself off your brace and wear some of thos neat, sexy shoes that I wish I could wear, but am stuck with my brace, but it could have been worse, so

GOD BLESS & GOOD LUCK

June :Clap-Hands: :cheer:

• 4 months later...

:Tantrum: please be care ful ofthe manufacture of the afo mine was made by a very repytable company this was the 2nd one they had made for me the 1st 1was fantasic the 2nd one caused my footto deloved a ucler which took 6 month s to heal ionly wear my afo on theweek ends or when i go out other wise it sits ina corner of the room i transfer with out it now going to the bath room and back with the aid of my hemmi cane though i dont want to become real dependent on the afo i can stand by my self with out it get in and out of bed not useing it just take 1 day min at a time time healsall asso they say impost stroke 7 yrs now every day a little something new like the saying goes i wanna be ME and i feel thats right around the corner for me so goodluck keep trying though :cheer: :big_grin: and im not being a smarty that candy and i tend notto besweet lol

• 5 months later...
I've been wearing my brace for the last 6 years since I had my stroke. One summer I decided not to wear it but one day I tripped over a rug after a loud noise startled me and sprang my ankle. Lately I have been thinking about just picking up a knee brace at a sporting good store because I have a permanent mark on the back of my leg where the brace is always at and I hate having to wear jeans everyday during summertime so my brace wont show.

I had one in hospital at the very end but it was more to help bring my toes up, I couldn't get it into any shoes so when I went home didn't wear it. I still have to stretch my bringing my toes s back up every morning, I think I will find a generic to wear at night and bring up my toes, maybe we can do a afo beautification project maybe even coordinating them with canes and/or walkers, and/or wheelchairs. even the men could do their favorite sports team or hobby.

they now are able to put designs on the plastic afo's. after my old one got to tight for me, i had another one made with purple butterflies on it.

the design is light and not overbearing or loud. its better than the plain looking ones. i also have to wear mine or else down for the count. my ankle is not ready to go without. but for those who can,thats great, just be safe. i wear long pants to cover up my afo cool enough for summer and my tennis shoes and i'm content with that.

kanderson

Archived