almost a year of caregiving

Thanks ladies, help really isn't an issue at this time. Mom's been in the SICU again for 12 days now and is in stable but very guarded condition. The docs are cautiously optomistic right now which is an improvement since Saturday. They were convinced she wouldn't make it through the night then. They got the results back from the catscan this morning and just like we already knew she had alot of blood pooled in her abdominal area from the bleeding the heparin caused after surgery. They are hoping the body will reabsorb this and they are still doing dialysis on a day to day basis to remove as much of the fluid as is safely possible without dipping her BP down to low. The MRSA infection is not helping of course and she's now become VERY combative, they were giving her a sedative when I left this morning after her dialysis (can't give it during or her BP will get too low)... Last night she yanked out her NG tube when they untied her to reposition her. I've tried talking with her but she's not in any state of mind to listen to me or anyone else, she just knows she wants all the tubes out and she wants them out NOW...She's also exhibiting signs of the obsessive/compulsive picking at things that she did right after her stroke when she had the MRSA infection active. They are giving her three different antibiotics right now so I have my fingers crossed we can get back under control for everyone's sanity.

So far as caring for her, she really wasn't that hard to care for before this setback as she had really been doing well and making progress and I'd even gone back to work on a part time basis. We can't afford to have anyone help out as our savings are desimated after my having to take off for over a year which cost about 30,000 dollars in revenue and ate up all Moms savings *sigh*. As of right now we are barely paying the bills from month to month and my little money I make from working part time pays for groceries. We have a lawsuit against the hospital pending still since last August but it's a very slow process and I'm pretty sure they are hoping she'll just die and the lawsuit will be null and void if they stall long enough. Anyhow, all the complaining in the world won't change anything so I'd better get myself together and keep on keepin' on. Thanks all and I'll keep you updated

Kristina

Just a quick update on Mom. Her kidney function has improved some but they are still having to do dialysis, for how long I have no idea and each day I seem to get more disheartened. They are concerned about the blood that has pooled in her abdomen (possible infection) and I can't even stand the though of them having to go back in, I doubt she'd survive another surgery of ANY kind at this point. The good news is her breathing is good and she's now on CPAP, hoping we can eliminate the vent all together. Her heart rate is good and her BP is holding well and the bleeding has stopped so far as we know. I'm on my way back to the hospital now and have my fingers crossed that they have any good news for me at all (so tired of bad news)

Kristina

Not much change with Mom. She's still barely urinating at all and I'm sure dialysis will continue today. They moved her from SICU to MICU a few nights ago and I absolutely can't stand the place. The waiting area is like a zoo, last night I counted 40 people outside, kids running everywhere even though the rule is no children above the 1st floor (this is the third floor) and just general chaos which does not help my already fragile sanity. The nurse last night was awful with a snippy frazzled attitude and she basically told us not to wake mom up at all. Yesterday I noticed one of her decubitus wounds that was healed had started to come back but I couldn't check it last night without waking her. Mom's been pretty restless and even combative but considering I keep finding her laying in *beep* it's not so hard to understand. Hell, she's not just laying in it she's TIED down in it with restraints. I'm about at my wits end with the doctors, nurses and hospital and every day it's harder and harder not to really lose it on them. Each day I say a little prayer before I even go in to please give me the strength not to choke the living *beep* out of anyone while i'm there...

Kristina

Archived