The hits just keep coming

I know its only been a couple of days since he has been in rehab. I spoke to the doctor yesterday and they stated that he is doing really well in therapy as far as his walking is concerned. I saw him walk yesterday with the walker and his stride was so strong. I was really impressed. The doctor said that he may be in therapy for 2-3 weeks or less depending on how his muscles strengthens.

On the flip side he may never get his mind back to normal but maybe close to it. The doc. said that the stroke was not the only thing that damaged his brain but his past. You see Dad was a heavy heavy drinker of whisker (almost a pint a day). Although he coped with this majority of his life the stroke just added more pressure to his brain. But with the ct scan and therapy he will improve.

Thanks for all the support on here I will definitely keep checking in and updating. I am so glad I have this website. It is a relief to know that I am not alone with my feelings etc. I know that these prognosises may vary but I feel a little better. even though it still kills me to look at him. I know my dad is in there somewhere.

I will keep my head up and keep you guys posted. You guys have really made me feel so much better knowing that this is not abnormal.

Thanks again!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jo Ann,

We are all glad to have you as a part of our group! Keep us posted on your dad"s progress, and as he gets better we can all celebrate together.I'll keep you both in my prayers.

God Bless,

Tom

Hi everyone:

Ok I am not sure if I am doing these post correctly. Should I start new topics each time or continue with my first one.

In any event -- sorry if I am doing this wrong. The Case Manager (CM) just called me with update. The facility my father is in is on a weekly basis. Each week he is assessed then the assessment is sent to insurance so they will decide whether they will keep paying or kick him out.

His first assessment was as follow:

1. Physical Therapy -- he is 75% min. assist. = according to CM this means that he can do things such as walking up to 150 ft. with min assistance (via a walker or person) ;dress himself and tolieting etc.

2. Speech Therapy -- he is oriented times 1 meaning person only. I am thinking this means he is congnitive about himself who he is and what has happened however a little shaky about third parties (guess this means family and friends) and the world such as what year it is?

Ok so they want to keep him in another week saying that he will get stronger.. Has anyone been down this track. What does this mean? Should I be happy or satisfied? Am I missing questions to ask?

Please please advise. Thanks....

:uhm:

When my husband was in the hospital/sub-acute nursing home/rehab, they could never tell us from one week to another how long he'd be in "the system" as the insurance company had to approve it every fours days at first and then every week. We went along three months like this. I think this is pretty common, depending on your insurance coverage.

Jean

Dear JoAnn,

I would say he is doing pretty good considering he is only a month out. My doctor said the 3 month mark is the the period you get the most progress. But everybody continues to get better as time goes by.

JoeAnn,

We are glad you are with us and things are looking up for your dad. We told you it would get better, but little by little. Like you said about his past is why we can't say what will happen in every case. Usually, we don't know the whole picture health wise or ages.

I'd say since you have this post as update, just keep it going with your add ons as you wish. Makes it easy to find for you. If you happen to log in and don't see update, you can expand the "today post" at the bottom of the page to "this week" and more by just clicking on the one you want until you see it.

Yes, his progress is definitely good at such an early time frame compared to me. I was in the hospital over 3 months and couldn't walk. Finally got out of the chair walking and driving too. I can't say it enough, it's going to take time.

Thank You to all of you who responded to me the first time I posted! I've been coming here when I have the time and reading but am too tired to post. I decided I would make the time for an update tomight. It's been 2 weeks tomorrow and he is better. There are little signs of improvement and he is getting stronger but he still sleeps a lot. To sleep is to heal the way I see it so that's fine with me. There is still no sensation in Jim's left hand and arm and the left side of his face but it's still very early yet so we will see. They are going to start some serious rehab on him tomorrow and that scares me to death because of the type of stroke he had and the fact that he has to have surgery, They have to keep his blood pressure sort of high to make sure his brain is oxygenated but if it gets too hig he could have another stroke. If the rehab is too intense or causes him too much pain and his blood pressure goes too high-------- I know it's a rehab hospital and all but it still terrifies me. I'm still barely sleeping or eating but I seem to be getting by just fine more or less so for now I guess whatever I'm doing is working. I do try to come home from the hospital a little bit early just to have some quiet time for myself. There is so much to do here because I think things will have to change before he comes home. I guess I better look and see what you all have to say about that. Goodness! There is so much I don't know!

Betty Jean

Hi Betty Jean,

I know how scarey it is for you right now. I'm glad your hubby has started some rehab. He is in the absolutely best possible place for doing so since everybody at rehab knows his physical status. The therapists will be very gentle with him, and although his therapy is referred to as "serious therapy" it will be real gentle.

Almost two years post stroke Bill's therapy is nothing like a "work-out" that you or I may be thinking of. It doesn't take very much to tire him, and the therapists are aware of just what to do and what not to do. You will be amazed at their expertise!!

Good luck to you - and keep coming back to let us know how it's going!!!

Warmly,

HI Bett Jean, I slep a lot the first 6 months, I was very tired after ANY physical or mental exertion. I took several naps.

My blood pressure was very high the day of stroke, the Dr. didn't want to bring it down to fast, he said that could be dangerous. So it was a week or so before I was put on blood pressure medications.

Unfortunately you will hear this often and the word in stroke recovery is SLOW..

Before your husband is released, you will want to talk to someone in rehab and they will help you with the changes you will need at home.

I had a shower chair, and a hand held shower attachment which was very helpful in the shower. Also you may want to remove throw rugs, or make sure they do not slide around, it is very easy to trip on them.

Warm thoughts, and don't forget to take of yourself also.

To add to the home prep list...

If you have a 2 story home, you will need railings that go up both sides of the steps, not something you think about until you only have one hand to support yourself. I found stair climbing easier than walking b/c I could hold that railing w/ a death grip:)

Also, grab bars in the bathrooms, easy to install and can make a big difference in your husband's independence, but again keep in mind the placement so that he can grab w/ his strong side.

Upon his discharge you will get some more recommendations on home prep.

I hope your husband continues to improve.

Betty Jean,

I'm glad to hear your husband is in rehab. :big_grin: Rachel made good recovery there. It is a lot of work, and they will keep you busy, but it's worth it.

At home we did some things to get ready:

1) buy a pill organizer-what a lifesaver! :cheer:

2) We were sent home with a wheelchair, shower chair, bath chair , and a quad cane.

3) If you have steps outside-you may need ramps

4) As stated above-remove the throw rugs.

5) We put plastic on the mattress-just in case of accidents

6) We never have enough paper towels, wet wipes, toilet paper, kleenex, etc. Bought in bulk to prevent store runs. :giggle:

Do try to eat and sleep to keep up your strength. I know it's hard. I remember. :hug:

I am praying for you and your husband. :friends

Betty Jean,

The rehab hospital will tell you what you need before your husband is ready to come home. In fact in many locations they won't let him come home until the OT from rehab has checked your house and made recommendations. Having said that, poke around our Medical Equipment and Disability Aids forum and you'll find lots of information on everything from mattresses to bathroom supplies to ramps and much more. Don't forget to look at more than just the opening page of the forum. Here's a link:

http://www.strokeboard.net/index.php?showf...ilter=all&st=50

Jean

Thanks Fred and June. I think this should have been a blog and not a post as it was one of the ways I had of expressing what I was feeling when I posted.

Ray and I have just had a good week with minimal problems. If you could see that the next week you were going to have was easier than the week you were in then maybe that week wouldn't seem so bad.

The courage to just get up and out of bed after a bad day is all caregivers or survivors have sometimes.

All the best to all reading this. Just knowing you are out there for support is a big factor for me now getting through some of those bad days.

Sue.

Guest cindy1947

Sue, You are becoming one of my strongest inspirations here. You are so right about not feeling sorry and just digging in and move on with what you have learned. It's a hard road but somehow we get through it. Now and then I have a cry and then zap back and just tell myself pitty does no good, make the best of life as it is today. My husband has been home 2 weeks now and is doing more than he did when in rehab. I'm sure life will never return as we knew it but life can still be good. Just in other ways. One thing is for sure, he and I are in it together and I thank god every day that I have so many friends in here that are always willing to listen...............

Archived