Stroke 83 yr old aunt

Hi my 83 yr old otherwise active aunt had a stroke 3 weeks ago and had brain surgery to relieve the pressure. She was intubated first 9 days and woke up on day 9.she has no movement on left side , CAbt swallow( peg tube) and sleeps all day and stays in hospital bed . She is considered medically stable and will be transferred to subacute rehab. I’m just wondering how she can do rehab when she can’t even get out of bed….is this normal or is this all a bad sign for things to come? 

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, cant help with your question, completely out of my field but someone else will have some answers for you. I just want to welcome you to the forum and hope you will keep in touch.

Deigh

Her best chance of getting function back is in rehab. The sooner she starts rehab the better. First step is learning to sit up. after that comes standing. I did lots of exercises in my bed at first. This is where being stubborn and refusing to let it beat you comes in. If you can spend time with her in rehab do it, the more stimulation she gets the quicker things will happen.

Don't let the system decide "she's 83 and won't fully recover" so not worth putting in the effort.

Also remind her that it takes time and will be hard work, rest is good but so is work, even just practicing the movements in your mind helps. it's about try, fail, try again, and repeat and repeat and repeat. Stroke recovery is seldom linear it will go forwards and sometimes backwards. don't be discouraged, celebrate the small wins and know that repeating them may be harder than you expect.  Brain healing also needs plenty of sleep and good nutrition.

Just so you know I'm still getting improvements 12 years after my stroke and I couldn't sit up for the first few weeks (I'd fall over sideways unless supported) or get out of bed unassisted for over a month , and I was a strong fit 44 year old. Although admittedly I didn't have the swallow issue. The OT and/or speech therapist are who you need for that and they'll be available in rehab but probably not in hospital and certainly not at home.

Best of luck to your aunt, and try to stay positive, she can do this, and so can you.

Hi Markpat.  I was also in ICU for 2 weeks.  I do not recall anything.  I was responding but I was not aware of anything.  My wife said they were moving my legs; arms moving; fingers flexing.  Near day 11 they got me out of bed and walked me with 3 therapists.  I do not recall doing any of this.  The choice of sub-acute care was a big decision for my wife and family.  They chose the larger facility that was affiliated with the university hospital.  Meaning 2 hours of driving for her and visitors but they had a lot more equipment and experience.  I attribute her choices to where I am today.  

The sub-acute care facility had a fluctuation of 80 patients with strokes.  They also dealt with brain injuries from accidents.  Amazing what the staff here deal with daily as far as brain injuries. 

Returning in June to discuss my status with the doctor after 8 years.  

I agree with all of Heathber comments

As I'm sure you've heard this by now, each stroke IS different. I was 36 when I had mine, and was unable to do most everything when I was transferred to rehab. The physical, occupational, and speech therapists were relentless, but very patient and kind also. 

I also agree with heathber, "Also remind her that it takes time and will be hard work, rest is good but so is work, even just practicing the movements in your mind helps. it's about try, fail, try again, and repeat and repeat and repeat. Stroke recovery is seldom linear it will go forwards and sometimes backwards. don't be discouraged, celebrate the small wins and know that repeating them may be harder than you expect.  Brain healing also needs plenty of sleep and good nutrition."

🤗

Hi Mark :

Heather gave you real good answer. I was also in ICU for 3-4 weeks  & once was moved to rehab my recovery started, its slow & steady, first it was just getting transfered from the bed  then slowly lot of therapy  was added & made me quite independent & then I came home. Every stroke is different & so is recovery, but being stubborn & willing to work hard & not get beaten up by stroke  was my mantra in my earlier days.  I was 34 at the time of my stroke & was not willing to sit in the sidelines of life, so fought hard. I can today confidently say there is great life post stroke not good or bad its just a different.

Asha Chandra