Where do I go from here?

kristina38

Thanks Jean and Scooter, I still lurk and post when I get a minute and I'll probably spend more time online when I get my new computer next month. I'll be able to upgrade to cable internet instead of this very slow dial up we have now. I still enjoy this site and helping others with their issues when possible.

Jean the recipe is very simple and it's done in the microwave. Simply peel the sweet potatoes, cube them in about 2 inch chunks and put them in a microwave safe dish with a half cup of water and cover with plastic wrap with vent slits. Nuke 'em for about ten to fifteen minutes til they are soft. I use about three large potatoes. Drain them and set aside. Take about 1/2 stick of butter, 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar, 2tbsps cinammon, 2 tbsp brandy or cognac, 1/4 tsp ground ginger, 1/2 cup chopped pecans and put them in a microwave safe bowl, nuke for a minute, stir, then for about another 30 seconds til bubbly. Toss the potatoes with the syrup and voila you have a very fast, easy and elegant side dish. Mom found it in a Woman's World weekly magazine about fifteen years ago and has been making it every since. It's one of my favorites and I can eat it for dinner or dessert LOL... Well, must take care of my "children", still have four kittens left and two cats, looks like I'll be keeping them LOL

Kristina

Good to hear from you Kristina. Glad things are going ok. and that Uncle is behaving and helping... maybe he has figured out which side of the tost is buttered.. lol

Hoping the house goes through soon. As Jean said the first year of Holidays is the hardest to get through. Then softer happier memories come in. You have her with you in you heart and thoughts.

I am thinking the kitty escaping was a good thing (since she was found safely.. it got mom out of bed and having meals with you.

I make Amaretto sweet potatoes.. I mash canned ones with some butter, milk and brown sugar, and amaretto.. put in a casserole top with minature marshmallows and bake until hot and marshmallows toasty.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all, things are still moving slowly. We are still waiting for the judge to sign over the title of the house so I can refinance it, the process was supposed to take two to three weeks and is now in it's fifth week. Christmas has basically been canceled at our house as without the money from the refinance buying gifts is out of the question as are most of the things I had planned on doing in memory of Mom. I also had another tragedy, my beloved Wody the Cat (the Thanksgiving runaway that triggered Mom's recovery over a year ago) passed away on December 7th while I was at work. It seems like tragedy is my closest companion this entire decade. First Mom's Mom, then Dad, then Mom and now Wody. I still have four of the six kittens that the stray Momma cat had and her as well. They are hellions but adorable and funny and one of the few things that can make me laugh anymore.

I'm really trying to keep faith and pull through this but damn if life doesn't make it hard. I still miss Mom tons and now Wody as well, I find myself visiting his grave in the back yard and talking with he and Mom alot. I'm sure he's with her, she was always trying to "steal" him from me when she was alive LOL and they were pretty much inseperable most of the time. My fiance and I are trying to plan our wedding but that is on hold along with the rest of my life waiting on this one horse towns judge to decide he has a minute in his busy schedule to sign his damn name on a piece of paper. I suppose I'm just frustrated and wanting to put this all behind me and not being allowed to do so by the powers that be. It reminds me of the old joke "God grant me patience, but please HURRY! LOL

Kristina

Hey Kristina, good to see you posting again. The "hurry slowly" technique is used by all the bureacrats here too, you think with the fees you pay you are in charge right?

Take time to grieve, it is the one thing you can't hurry. And yes, all additional deaths do bring you back to the main loss again. But life goes on as you can see with your hell kittens.

You can have a good Christmas without gifts, just be glad you have each other and have a time to be together.

(((Big hugs))) from Sue.

Kristina I am so deeply sorry for your loss. I just cried as I read through your post (one that I missed up until now...sorry) I truly can imagine your loss as I am facing the strong possibility of losing my father after he stroked Nov. 8th. He, too, is on Heparin as well as Coumadin and Dr's just discovered that he's begun to bleed internally. They've stopped all rehab and are "standing by" to do surgery. As I checked on him tonight by phone, I learned that it's much more serious than I previously thought. God bless you for taking care of your beautiful mother as you did for so long. Know that you gave her a most precious gift by doing so and made her last days on this earth the best, I'm sure. I am not sure what else to say. I know how difficult this is and there really are no words of solace at this time. I pray that you will be good to yourself and recognize if you have a need to seek medical help and/or counseling (which can be very beneficial). That was the only way I made it through first the death of my mother and then my little brother, and then now, facing the loss of my beloved father. Life is so full of pain and loss, just as it can be full of happiness and I know that it can bring you right to a brick wall where you become stuck. All of the emotions you are feeling right now are so appropriate...do not let anyone tell you you're grieving in the "wrong way"; you lost someone so dear to you and you reserve the right to feel anything you are feeling right now. There will be many tears for you but know, Kristina, that although the pain in your heart will never "go away", you will find that it does get a little easier as time goes on and you move through your grief. May God watch over you and bring the peace you are so deserving of at this time, especially as the holidays and time for families near, you will be in my prayers tonight before I go off to sleep. It will get easier, I promise.

With love and prayers,

Melissa

Hi Kristina,

Thanks for updating us. Sorry to hear about your kitty but happy for you that the car issue was resolved.

Hopefully the judge will sign off on the paperwork so you can get the house refinanced.

In the years to come, the holidays will be easier to face as you will have fond memories of your loved ones to share and enjoy.

Hope 2007 is a better year for you. Take care and God Bless.

• 4 weeks later...

Melissa, thank you for your lovely post. If I've learned anything from all of this, it's to live life to it's fullest. Tomorrow is never promised. I wanted to give an update on my progress. We finally made it out of probate (four weeks late) and we are hoping to close on the refinance Tuesday. I can say I will be so relieved when this is all over and I can begin living my life again. I have so many things that need to be done but I haven't been able to until we close. I've spent most of my time obsessing over whether Mom's mortgage company was going to foreclose on us. Leaky faucets, a pool that needs resurfaced, shingles that need replaced, new carpeting UGH! I still have to go through all of Mom's things but every time I go in her room withing a few minutes I find myself hugging her pillow which still has her scent on it and bawling like a baby. Hard to accomplish much like that LOL...I also need to contact medicare and find out if we own Mom's wheelchair and air release mattress or if I need to have them come get them. We had signed the paperwork after they were rented for a year to own them but I'm not terribly sure how that works. I also have a very heavy duty bed side commode, portable wheelchair ramp and various other medical supplies that I will probably donate somewhere.

I've made an appointment to take all five kittens/cat to the vet for their first round of shots so that should be quite the adventure for me LOL I have a giant dog carrier I can fit them all in, I'm sure the people at the vets office are gonna love me HA! Well, that's about all that's new right now. I need to get started on planning our wedding as well but I'm trying to take one thing at a time for now.

Kristina

Archived