Bronchitis

Gary came down with a bad cough on New Years Day.....not a good start to the new year. He coughed throughout the night and by Tues. afternoon I got him into the Dr. and she ordered a chest x-ray. She called later in the day to say he had bronchitis and possibly COPD. I've had him on cough syrup, IBProfen, chicken soup and he's not improving much. With the swallowing difficulties he has suffered since the stroke and removal of the feeding tube, he is having a very hard time getting enough food down to sustain his weight and ends up choking more. He has a very difficult time coughing up the excess mucus in his throat and I fear that too much food and liquids are going into his lungs when he does eat.

Ever since the feeding tube was removed, he has been adamant about never having another one inserted, so aspirating food into his lungs has always been a real fear for us. I'm so afraid this will turn into pneumonia and he'll end up in the hospital. The Dr. office called back today and asked if we would schedule him for a pulmonary function test when he is feeling better. They said his lungs appeared to be like someone with emphysema or COPD and asked if he had been a heavy smoker. He's never smoked in his life, but he did for many years work around asbestos abatement projects.

Sarah

Guest hostmel

Hi Sarah -

I am so sorry to hear that Gary is not feeling well - I, myself have been sick with the same stupid bonchitis thing for the past few months - it ends up that mine is sinus related so I'm going to have to have surgery later this month.

Tell him pride win't get him anywhere and if anoter feeding tube id what he needs rthen that is what he needs! Sometimes you caregivers get way too much hassle for the simplest things! Sorry :)

I would call the doctor's office and explain what is going on - I'm sure you can enlist their support - you can bet he'd prob endure a feeding tube rather than having to tote an oxygen tank around for the rest of his life!

Sending blessings and wishes for peace your way -

Sorry to hear about Gary. I had a three week cold not too long ago, and boy, it had me down. They checked my lungs and found nothing wrong, but I have had this little cough ever since. Maybe it's sinuses like Mel.

I would think that getting evaluated thoroughly may be in order. Surely better safe than sorry is an old cliche that comes to mind. As a survivor, my pride sometimes gets in the way when it comes to doctor visits, but my mind kicks in eventually, and I decide to listen and evaluate suggestions to treatment. I hope Gary does as well.

Wishing you all the best and hope Gary gets well soon.

Bob

Sarah,

Sometimes the best place to be is in the hospital when it comes to lung issues, especially when you live in places like you do where snow storms can keep you from getting there or an ER to get to you, if things turn worse.

After the tests are done, if the doctor wants him on the feeding tube, let the medical community be the ones to tell him, not you...so you don't have to be bad guy here. You've got to do what you've got to do.

You'll both be in my thoughts...

Jean

Sarah, like you I battle to get the best deals for Ray but if hospital is what he needs hospital is what he gets. I can't go 24 hours a day and if it takes a staff of 12 to look after a seriously ill patient then one woman with a good heart can not do the job.

Hope you get Gary sorted out soon. But look after your own health too. There is only one of you and that's pretty special.

Sue. :friends:

Thank you all for your concern. It's almost a week and he seems to be improving somewhat. Not as much coughing and since we got him some new pillows yesterday and he can sleep with his head elevated a bit, he managed to sleep through the night last night without any coughing or choking incidents. We've had yet another snowstorm last week and are expecting another one this week, so the cold and snow are keeping him indoors and he's getting cabin fever, but otherwise doing much better.

Sarah

The coughing began to persist again last night to the point Gary kept me up all night and I almost took him to the emergency room at 3 a.m. We held off because it was snowing again and our son came over at 10 this morning and we drove him to Boulder Hospital and spent 3 hrs. in emergency room waiting on x-rays and blood tests. The Dr. wrote a prescription for antibiotic after reviewing the x-rays and determining he had a touch of pneumonia. She wanted to keep him overnight for observation but he was determined not to stay at the hospital and our son told the Dr. that he would get better care at home. He'll get better care at home as long as I get some sleep tonight, but he seems to be responding well to the first dose of antibiotic. Keeping our fingers crossed the cold snap passes soon and he can get out for some fresh, but not so frigid air - it was below zero last night and only in single digits here today.

Sarah

Sarah,

Glad to hear Gary was able to get on antibiotics. Here's hoping he continues to be on the mend. Now that he's had pneumonia, he'll have to be careful in the future - maybe receive a pneumonia shot next year

(they're good for 4-5 years)

Hi Sarah:

I just read your post. Sorry to hear that Gary was having such a tough time. Chris has had pneumonia 2 times in the past 2 1/2 years and finally this year they gave him the pneumonia shot .

Chris also has COPD from smoking for so many years. That in itself can be scary. One minute he is fine and the next he is wheezing terribly. Right now he has an inhaler that he uses 4 times a day and he can never lay flat in bed or in his lounge chair.

So I hope Gary is starting to feel better and you are taking care of yourself. Your both in my prayers.

Kim :)

The antibiotics worked well for Gary this week. Toward the end of the week he was getting a bit of upset stomach and the squirts from them, but was able to let me know he needed extra padding to go to bed at night, just in case. He didn't need it but it made him feel more comfortable knowing it was there. He's completely over the coughing now and I'm trying to keep him warm and well fed.

We had a furnace problem yesterday so I have been up since 4 a.m. trying to keep the pilot lit on the furnace until his nephew can pick up the part we need tomorrow - unfortunately none of the heating places were open over the weekend and we've had to suffer a bit. The last thing I need is for him to get sick again, so I'm trying to maintain between 65-70 degrees in the house as much as possible. I had the oven on this morning for 4 hours and even baked a cake so I wouldn't feel like I was wasting electricity. I really didn't need to eat that whole chocolate cake today, but it sure felt good to relieve that stress ............just kidding. :bop:

We're getting back on track .........it's just taking a little time to get there.

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the update, I had been wondering how you two were doing. I am glad to hear Gary is on the upswing!

Try to stay warm (at least it stopped snowing...again) and get some rest. You must be exhausted!

Take Care,

Kristen

Archived