Amniotic fluid

fking

This article by Paul Ellis of the associated press, in the morning newspaper writes that scientists reported Sunday they had found a plentiful source of stem cells in the fluid that cushions babies in the womb and produced a variety of tissue types from these cells...sidestepping the controversy over destroying embryos for research.

Researchers at Wake Forest University and Harvard University reported the stem cells they drew from amniotic fluid donated by pregnant women hold much the same promise as embryonic stem cells. They reported they were able to extract the stem cells without harm to mother or fetus and turn their discovery into several different tissue cell types, including brain, liver and bone.

"Our hope is that these cells will provide a valuable resource for tissue repair and for engineered organs as well," said Dr. Anthony Atala, head of Wake Forest's regenerative medicine institute and senior researcher on the project.

Again, this is an article from my local paper that may have appeared in several papers around the country this morning. It is quite lengthy, but they say, "the cells found can be used to produce a broad range of cells that may be valuable for therapy."

Great article Fred! I myself hads wondered about the possibility of getting stem cells from Amniotic fluid,Maybe I should have been a scientist huh?

God Bless,

Tom

Well, I do think the timing of this news right before an important stem cell research vote raises some questions......, I wish we could have had this news wait 5 days until after the vote. On the other hand a single study doesn't realy prove much, since it isn't clear if these cells can be used for all types of tissues and if the tissues generated will actually be functional for clinical use. It will take many YEARS to figure out if amniotic stem cells will actually be equivalent to ESC's, so it makes no sense to continue discarding ESC's at IVF clinics that can already be used with the full potential of ESC's in research.

Let's proceed with federal funding of discarded ESC's. Why let them go to waste?

CAMR: Let's Tell the Truth About Embryonic Stem Cell Research

WASHINGTON, Jan. 8 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- In case you want the

unbiased, bipartisan truth: embryonic stem cell research shows great

promise.

From Sean Tipton, president, Coalition for the Advancement of Medical

Research (CAMR) -- "Embryonic stem cell research opponents selectively and

irresponsibly tout individual studies when it's politically convenient. The

nationally recognized and prestigious universities, scientists, medical

schools, research organizations and foundations that CAMR represents want

all sides of the story to be told on this issue. We need a federal policy

change on embryonic stem cell research, and we look forward to the House

and Senate passing the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act early in this

110th Congress."

The Washington Post: "Atala and other scientists emphasized that they

don't believe the [amniotic] cells will make embryonic stem cells

irrelevant. 'There's not going to be one shoe that fits all,' said Robert

Lanza, scientific director at Advanced Cell Technology in Worcester, Mass.

'We're going to have to see which ones are most useful for which clinical

conditions.' George Daley, a Harvard stem cell researcher, echoed that

sentiment. 'They are not a replacement for embryonic stem cells.'" (Rick

Weiss, "Scientists See Potential in Amniotic Stem Cells," The Washington

Post, 1/8/07)

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories....04502118&EDATE=

• Founder and Owner

Sounds like another good resource for stem cells! Could turn out to be something that leads to great things!

Jason, don't be so quick to just look at the political motivation behind the timing of this information. If these stem cells have scientific merit then I am sure that more research will be pursued. ESCR cannot pass the scientific muster and that is why it's not pursued more aggressively but don't begrudge stem cells from amniotic fluid until we know more about them, sheesh!

• 3 weeks later...

ESCR cannot pass the scientific muster and that is why it's not pursued more aggressively but don't begrudge stem cells from amniotic fluid until we know more about them, sheesh!

Steve, it's odd that you keep claiming that ESCR cannot pass the scientific muster when the consensus is among scientists that they actually already do.

Here an important development when academia and private industry work together, which is the way the NIH is set up: to use government funding to do basic research which private industry can then take advantage of. Just magine if Bush had not blocked federal funding of ESCR, how many of these developments could have already taken place, and much sooner too.

Thursday, 25 January 2007, 15:01 CST

Aruna Biomedical, Inc. Announces Technology Licensing Agreement to Commercialize the First Products Derived From Human Embryonic Stem Cells

Aruna has acquired an exclusive worldwide license to develop and commercialize neural cells derived from human embryonic stem cells. Aruna will offer the academic and industry research communities access to much sought after, but never before available human neural cells, derived from human embryonic stem cells, that relate to normal and diseased human conditions . The cells can be used in research ranging from Alzheimer's, spinal cord injury and depression. Aruna anticipates launch of its first product, human neural progenitor (NP) cells, in early 2007 and add- on products will closely follow. The human NP cells will be sold and marketed through a third-party distribution partner and packaged as a kit with growth media and substrates.

"The potential impact of this product on the neural research community could be astounding," says Aruna co-founder and CEO Steven Stice. "We are offering a product that may accelerate the pace of neurological research for tens of thousands of scientists and thereby may provide patients with possible therapies and treatments for debilitating neurological diseases and spinal cord injuries much sooner than imagined."

http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/814683...source=r_health

Amniotic stem cells may be wonderful for some conditions, but may not be the best for neurological conditions.

There are currently co restrictions of federal funding of amniotic stem cell research, which BTW is not a new discovery........they were first discovered in 2001 in Austria.

yes, i caught that article also, which makes alot of sense if you think about it, they already know the fluid can tell you everything about the developing fetus. i think its great, they need to keep on plugging away at the science of it all. kimmie

My mind is working overtime, i can just picture all these very pregnant ladies carrying their small plastic buckets just so they can catch the precious liquid should their waters break.

Mike

Maybe the doctors will offer FREE deliveries just to catch the alleged "golden liquid"!

Someone on radio made one report re obtaining stem cells from the elderly.....what a vast suply that would yield & if it didn't work & the old folks died, who'd notice? Reminds me of the movie "Soilent Green".

Personally, before I'd inject something into my body I'd want to know more pros & cons.

Jasco

Archived