Ever since my husband had his stroke (May 28, 2004) he has had a chronic problem with hiccups. Sometimes he will have a brief period where they go away but then they return. It interferes with his sleep. Is there any known remedy for stroke victims available? Thanks in advance.

Hi Netsurfer,

Sorry about your husbands stroke. My Dad had/has hiccups too, but no where near as severe as it sounds like your husbands are.

I found a response on another message board advocating canned peaches of all things. I have no personal experience with this, but the woman's story sounds similar to yours and the suggestion came from a nurse. You can check it out yourself at:

see http://www.heatherhill.org/forum4/messages/574.html

On another site I found some more medical sounding treatments such as "One of several medications may be used in cases of prolonged hiccups. These include scopolamine, prochlorperazine, chlorpromazine, baclofen, metoclopramide, and valproate."

See http://health.discovery.com/encyclopedias/955.html

If you just type stroke and hiccups into Google you'll find all sorts of useful info.

(http://www.google.com)

Hope this helps....Larry

Guest Melissa

My father experienced hiccups early on after his stroke too. The doctors said they were neurological and that there wasn't anything we could do for them. The good news is that they subsided and he rarely gets them now. If he does, it's a couple at a time. I hope these subside for your husband soon!

I too had bad hiccups after my stroke. :angry:

I was told by my docs that it is a symptom found only in women. They said that men didn't have this as a symptom. I find it very interesting that you have proven what they told me to be WRONG. It just goes to show once again that docs. don't know everything. ;)

My hiccups subsided about a week and a half after my stroke. I still get them every once in a while and I admit that it terrifies me to get them. I may try eating peaches the next time and see if it helps.

I remember getting them in town real bad once and a complete stranger came up to me and told me I should drink 10 sips of water without stoping. :lol: I thanked her but didn't bother to tell her that I had had a stroke and could no longer drink anything without stoping inbetween. :wacko:

I hope your husband finds a way to stop his hiccups. They can be very annoying.

God Bless!!

Tania :wub:

p.s. : I wonder if peaches would work for sneezing? :huh: My husband starts sneezing after he eats a large meal. Sometimes he sneezes up to 50 times before he stops. I used to think it was funny. But not anymore. Not since I got the hiccups for so long. :(

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a thought. The next time you or your husband get the hiccups take a heaping spoonful of sugar. I was told by a friend that it would get rid of hiccups. My son (he's 7 yrs.) has tried it and it seems to work for him. Of course he pretends to get them now trying to get me to give him sugar :lol:;)

Tania :wub:

Another "cure" for hiccups I've heard and tried in the past before my stroke was: to take a small taste of salt...why it worked? I have no idea...but worked for me back then... rofl

• 3 years later...

When my husband had an ischemic stroke 5-1/2 years ago and was in a rehab hospital, he kept getting the hiccups. It would keep happening, and it would really tire him out. The doctors resorted to prescribing muscle relaxants, but then he would sleep more and couldn't participate well during his therapy sessions. It was so frustrating.

When he was checking out, a nurse quietly mentioned that he might try canned peaches. He could not have tried it there because he still had swallowing issues, but once he was allowed to eat again and he got the hiccups again, we tried canned peaches. It worked! It only takes a small amount, and instantly the hiccups stopped. No strong meds needed!

Since then, we bought the individual serving size of peaches (made for kids' lunches). It has always worked. We even took it with us as a hand carry on our first trip to Vegas after his stroke.

I have tried it for my own case of hiccups (nothing bad like my husband's), and it also worked for me.

Please, if you have hiccups issues, try this. It's safe and cheap. Actually, we even used canned mandarin oranges once, and it worked. Perhaps it's the sugary syrup?

Take care, everyone. Life is good if we take the time to look for the goodness in it.

thanks I will try to keep this in mind. one day i will make notebook and print out best of the best and will include this, thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Netsurfer, I had the hiccups for 4 weeks after my strokes,My OT said she could cure them.Also my Osteopath saidshe could help.I found it was because of meds I was on BACLOFEN, but found ifI ate just before I did bot get them

Kent

Archived