REQUEST FOR "OLDIES" AND "NEWBIES"

Guest hostmel

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THANK YOU TO ALL THE VOICES OFSTRENGTH AN HOPE ON HERE...MEAN A LOT TO NEW PEOPLE LIKE ME... SURVIVOR SINCE 2/3/07...RIGHT BRAIN ISCHEMIC WITH LEFT HAND/ARM AFFECTED i have gotten some movement back... can make a modest fist and turn of/onf light switches !!! biggies to me long way to go though... SAY I HAVE A ASD (ATRIAL SEPTAL DEFECT AND PFO( hole in upper heart chambers...present since birth...allows clots to go to brain... PATENT FORAMON OVALUE RECOMMENDING I HAVE IT CLOSED WITH A CATHETER PROCEDURE...ANYONE ELSE DEALING WITH THIS?

THANKS TO ALL AND HUGS, SUSAN

• 4 weeks later...

I'm new here and really enjoying the site. I've felt as if I'm on an island at times. My friends and family members don't know how to take me at times. I'm doing very well. Walking now without a cane, I'm able to read more, my only complaints are left sided pain, migranes, and fatigue since I stroked. I sometimes feel as though I am not myself. I look @ pics of myself prestroke and have a difficult time recognizing the person that looks like me. I wonder if others feel that way as well?

I am 14 months out now and still working on left hand and arm, still have foot drop, walking but slow so don't trip over toe or bumps on the ground , use quad cane when going over uneven ground, I generally walk unaided except then or at Walmart I use their electric cart unless staying in smaller area of store. Am now driving again, and love the extra freedom that gives me but I don't get into heavy traffic area, I live in country next to small town and rush hour is maybe 20 min long and takes about 15 min to get through town. :hug: :dribble:

Hola Everyone. My husband Ron and I are new to the site, but really appreciate all the info shared. We live in FL, but are currently in Costa Rica for Rons' therapy. We found that for the price it costs for one hour of trtmt in the US, he can recieve five hrs in CR from terrific therapist, many whom trained in the US. Also it is a great place to just chillax and escape the current fires in FL.

i'm glad to see i'm not the only lurker lol. but i do enjoy catching the chats at night when my daughter does'nt have the comp. i also have to say with gteat excitement that for the 1st time in 4 yrs my wife and i went dancing lastnight and did'nt get home till 1:30 am ! granted i was'nt near as gracefull as i used 2b but it was fantastic and a very uplifting experiance!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all:

I'm really a "newbie"having joined oly a few days ago. I'm just sort of getting my feet wet. I think a poitive attitude is vital to our recovery. We must want to get well! When I had my stroke a year and a half ago, in late August of 2005, I swore to myself and I would tell people "Etch it in stone-I will walk again!" After plenty of hard work at Rehab, I started walking (assisted of course) last Feb 23. I began with a modest 22 steps and last week I was up to 44 meters! It is difficult but I want to walk again and I know I will!

Guest PERRYS

For a bigger part of several years this site was frequented by me several times a day. Then I got interested in the new TV shows and just quit coming around :( I really like it here though and hope that I can get back in the 'habit' of coming here again.

By the way I'm just fine, fat and lazy as always. My stroke was a brainstemmer on Christmas Day 2000, I can't walk or talk (much), but other than that I'm just fine. :Clap-Hands: :Clap-Hands:

• 1 month later...

HOW-DEE!!! HEARTFELT GREETINGS TO ALL MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS OUT THERE!! IT IS MY SINCERE HOPE THAT NOW YOU HAVE SURVIVED, YOU HAVE BECOME A WARRIOR!! YOU DID NOT ASK FOR THIS MISFORTUNE, SO TELL THE S.O.B. TO LEAVE YOU TO THE VERY REAL BUISNESS AT HAND, REGROUPING, AND RECOUPING. WORK HARD TO FIND YOUR WAY, AND NEVER EVER SETTLE!! YOU ALL KNOW ME. I CAN BE A RUNAWAY BALL OF ENERGY. :bouncing_off_wall: I CAN ALSO SIT QUIETLY AND PRAISE OUR DEAR SWEET LORD FOR ANOTHER CHANCE.

I AM SPENDING MY 3RD SUMMER POST SMACKDOWN TENDING MY VERY BEST GARDEN YET. ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!! COLORS AND SMELLS GALORE!! I HAVE COMPOSED AND RECORDED THE MOST BEAUTIFUL PIECE OF MUSIC YET. IT'S A GIFT TO MY DAUGHTER, AND EVERYBODY'S BUDDY, HOLLY. IN 3 WEEKS MY GUARDIAN ANGEL/WIFE AND I ARE GOING TOWARD MYRTLE BEACH FOR A WELL DESERVED 1ST HONEYMOON/VACATION.

IT TOOK ALL OF MY LIFE TO REALLY REALIZE HOW SWEET, LOVING AND HARD WORKING THE LORD IS. I NOW KNOW THAT SWEET ANGELS HAVE HAD THEIR HANDS FULL WITH ME FOR A LONG TIME. NO ONE, I REPEAT NO ONE IS MORE APPRECIATIVE OF THE WONDERFUL BLESSINGS I HAVE RECEIVED. I THANK THE GOOD LORD EVERY TIME I LOG ON TO THIS WONDERFUL SITE. IT IS A SANCTUARY TO ME. WHERE FRIENDS GO TO GET A BIG HELPING OF SPIRITUAL FOOD, AND A TON OF KINDNESS AND UNDERSTANDING. I'LL CLOSE WITH THAT, BUT Y'ALL KNOW ME. I'M ALWAYS AROUND AND NEVER HARD TO FIND.

WITH LOVE AND SINCERITY,

FATE

June I'm sorry I know I threw you for a loop for a bit with the name change.

For those oldies who may not know I am the postist formerly known as Maria325 :rolleyes:

:Clap-Hands: :Clap-Hands: :Clap-Hands: This is SO GREAT TO SEE THIS TOPIC STILL GOING[/

size]

remember the Girl Scout Song:

Make New Friends, But keep the Old

One is Silver and the other Gold

I think you ALL know by now that I have gone from: Host Bonnie to bstockman :)

((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))) To you ALL

Guest thegoodlife

You guys are the Greatest and I am so happy to have found you all. Your 'Graduation" has to be commended so I thought I be the first.

Then, can you email me on how to chg my avaitar-would love to change it once in awhile-is that something you do?

Of course don't want all those pictures on there but nos P8290011,Clint 116,Clint 114 just tell me how to do or how to send nos i would like up there I'll send them.

Planning on getting new one of my grandkids they r the best and really would like to show you all my whole family.

I was scarce for a little while after I resigned from Human Ressources. My health is much better that we are into summer weather. I enjoy checking out the boards and giving support where I feel it may be helpful and I am often grateful for the interesting information that I come upon as I read. Thank God for the internet and The StrokeNetwork.

cheers,

Pat

:welcome: back PerryS and anyone else who's been gone a while. We all get on and visit when we can. The good thing about coming here is that it is a 24/7 service provided for all :happydance:

I am so glad to see that this topic that I strted so long ago is still going!

Thanks for all the updates - it's great to see how everyone is doing! :Clap-Hands: :Clap-Hands:

I hope more check in as well,

Sending good thoughts and wishes always,

Mel

PS - also a name change for me - used to be known as hostmel, now am simply MelBaker :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
Hi -

I see some of the "oldies" come in and post to questions and wonder how you've been and would like to ask you to post a quick update in a blog or as a reply here just to let us know how your are - WE Miss YOU!!!

And "Newbies" that come in and hang out a lot for a while and then disappear for a while - this aplies to you too! WE MISS YOU, WORRY ABOUT YOU, AND WONDER HOW YOU ARE - please let us know :) :hug:

Thanks

Hi

I'm doing well. I still come and read the post . Have not posted in awhile.

I'm still having trouble with SSA . I didn;t have enough work credit for SSD, I was busy being a stay at home Mom and wife. August 8 marked the 2 years since my stroke. If I could just get rid of the aches, pain, fatigue. I could deal with the weakness on my right side. My memory is still just a little off.

My Brother past on memorial Day . He had several stroke in the last 3 Years. I suppose by the time I get done fighting for SSI ,I will be able to work again. I'm looking forward to it because being broke and feeling broken is just NoT COOL.

:cocktail:

take Care

Wish I had more time to blog but have been busy trying to get our lives back to some type of normal. Last year we took on a project of strapping,insulating and boarding an inside of a commercial shop which had I4 ft high walls,,that took us a lot more time than it should have but we got it done and have now sold the shop and made a bit of profit as well.. Since then I have been busy helping hubby cope with some of his problems like more speech therapy and just life in general... we hope to get the rest of our yard and homes in order so we can sell them when the time is right ... Things are really starting to sell here and prices have now gone up to what the rest of the area is valued at..We are thinking of moving to a smaller place with less yard and area to take care of. So I'll still be fixing and painting till all this is done and we no longer have to worry about it any more.

I won some prizes for tomatoes and apples, so had a fair garden.., only I had slugs that ate the lettuce and swiss chard etc, any hints on how to get rid of them would be appreciated.... Had a big family reunion this summer and a few get togethers along the way.. Hubby's mother passed away in Feb of this year so spent time with her before as her nursing home was 5 minutes away... Went to B.C. in the spring and saw Mom who is now in a nursing home then went on a house boat for four days came home and have been on the go since... time seems to go so fast some days I don't know what day it is.. probably stress to cause I get tired fast and so don't get as much done in a day as I would like to.. We had our twin granddaughters and a friend here for four days taking lifeguarding lessons so had to cook and pack lunches for them..Waking them up in the morning was the hardest but I just cheated a bit and told them it was later than it really was... :laughbounce: I also made 6 dozen cinnamon buns which were gone in three days ..so ti has been busy here I hope it slows down soon as I need a rest.. They are coming again at the end of the month for the rest of the course so same routine only less time.... :cloud9: :happydance: :happydance: So will try and blog again when I have more time......Deenie

I am still here, but not tooo often. My pain has gotteeeeen much worse in my legs and hips. Have an appt. with my neuro next week. I don't sleep very well (I guess thqts obvious since its almost 5 am, and I haven't slept yet) Mentaly I am ok, but the pain is really taking a lot out of me.

I have two little poodles that really left my spirits, they are litterbox trained so I don';t have to go outside with them. The bigger one is Tiara and weighs 7 lbs. the litte one is Trinket and weighs less than 2 lbs. They make my life worth living!

Hi to all of you out there who give sooo much hope and help to all of us in the same boat. I have not been very faithful to all of you and I apologize for not being very active but I do check in from time to time to see how things are going :head_hurts: My son has been in Iraq this past 13 months and it has been a difficult year for me emotionally , fortunately for me and with all of my praying I know God kept him safe and at a desk job even though he is a ranger and infantry trained , he lost several of his good friends this year, very difficult for a 25 year old to deal with, so Ive concentrated more on him than myself this year.

BUT I did pass my 5 year mark, and I have to say after seeing what happened to the senator from North Dakota, I had the same thing , mine was far worse , I'm so blessed to be able to function at the level that I can, and yes recovery continues at the rate of watching grass grow but STILL it happens , you can't ever quit trying, I was amazed to read that after 13 years that Steve moved his facial muscles on demand that is so amazing and inspiring to us all.

So on that positive note I will tell you all out there that I'm still here and my thoughts and prayers are with all of you :Clap-Hands: THINK POSITIVE , Penny

• 1 month later...

A little late but I had to drop in with my 2 cents. I drop in at least once a week. Been a member since 11/03. Four years post stroke now. Been back at work for 4 years full time. Finally won the battle with stroke related depression, knock on wood. This site will forever be in my thoughts and the incredible people whose help and support helped me through some of the darkest days I've ever lived To this day I continue to read the blogs of the folks of Stroke net. To everyone connected with this site Thank you And hoping nonthing but the very best for you and yours. Clark Taylor

even though i'm new here, i am finding that we all have something in common because of stroke or a brain injury. i have spent a lot of time glossing thru the different areas and blogs. there is a wealth of information from so many people. everyone has their own thoughts and feelings about what has been dealt to us. the folks here truly comprehend the different stages we experience. this is a place of immense comfort, understanding and acceptance.

Archived