Stroke vs. Career

pegmbennett

HI ,

I stroked age 11 it was from a clot on right side of brain which left me paralysed and in a wheelchair, speech affected. I lost at least half a year at primary school, through my recovery it then became time to go and start Secondry School I went for four years and sat my O Levels. Although I was there four years I missed out on so much education as I could not concentrate and did not have the stamina there was sick days and I feel if truthfully asked I was there for two years.

When I left I tried to go to college and done a year but could not complete the course

I done various jobs working for friends and family but nothing was to come of any good or thing that I done I seemed to go around in circles. To be honest I am 29 now and done small time jobs in the past but nothing worked out right. Its taken me over 10 years to fully recover in my rehabilitation. I worked as a volunteer for over a year and half part time with realistic hours - tthat hs led into part time employment for me, which has now given me structure in my life motivation and I look forward to my part time job :chat:

I work 3 days of the week as its all I can mange but get there. My physical side of my stroke has gotten better in some ways as I was able to walk again but I still have poor motibility and muscle spasm's and have limited use in left hand but botox kinda helps out, my physical mobility is only to get worse now never better but I work at it the best I can. This is a difficult post as most people worked and no longer work at moment but for me I never worked and had to prove myself in life that I could againts all odds. Mostly I had to for vmyself and no one else. I now work as a support worker to adults with brain injury. this was where I done my voluntary work. Feel free to PM ask any questions :hug:

Needto sign out now its late here in Bonnie Scotland

Peggy, I stroked at age 49 in 2001. I also look fine, but my brain is not fine. It took me three years and five neros to find my stroke. I was turned down for SSWD the first time. I had a nero pysc evaluation, Hired a lawyer and was awarded the SSWD by the judge dating back to the date I had the stroke. I lost my long term disability because of time limits on filing. Hope all goes well with you. Susan

I to am on disability from social security, I was in customer service, I had just been promoted to planner for the trucking company I could no longer keep up with it all my cognitive skills and math skills were affected, I also get confused easily, I am slowly getting used to no longer having a job, I go to church so keep in touch with people there and don't feel left out, after applying for social security, it only took a couple of months, I would certainly give it a try, good luck, this is a great site to work through things with, so many in the same boats or tugboats . :welcome:

Archived