Power chairs and Scooters

fking

Many of us depend on medical equipment in one way or another. I want to start this topic to exchange info about use, experiences, convinues of operating your equipment.

How long have you been using your chair/scooter?

How has it helped make your life more liveable?

How far or how long can you operate on a full battery charge?

Do you need it in home or just when going outside?

Do you require assistance in it's daily use?

Share little tid bits on maintenance, safety procedures, lifts, carriers and vehicle you use for hauling your unit.

Share the positives & negatives you have encountered owning your unit.

If you feel the desire to share, please do so, would love to know what others are thinking. I just found out Medicare will pay to replace batteries, don't know yet about wheels or tires. :juggle:

Guest lwisman

I do not use an electrical devise, so I don't have answers to some fo your questions.

I use a rollator. My balance is not good enough to walk without assistance. I do walk about the house sometimes, but everyone - including the cat - knows not to run into me, get underfoot, etc.

When I first found a rollator, which if you don't know what that is is like a walker on wheels with a built in seat, a detachable tray, a detachable basket, I was frustrated because I was using two quads canes and could not carry anything. I was able to use a backpack, but it was a real pain if I wanted to do something like carry a magazine across the room. And, it was useless for carrying a cup of tea.

The rollator is a great option, because it I can "carry" things in the basket. I can even use it i stores. The tray is great for "carrying" liquids. And it can be used to eat off of if at a buffet or if I just want to eat in front of the TV. I am able to collapse it and take it in and out of the back of my car, so I am able to go on my own.

I don't use the seat much anymore, but it was great when I could not walk very far. Before the rollator I had to plan walking where I knew there were chairs or benchs. This is not always easy.

It is a great alternative to walking with canes. Also, it has really helped my walking. It is much more natural to walk with it than with canes or a regular walker. So, if you are able to get out of the chair you might consider giving it a try.

I bought my first one in Oct 98. After a trip where it was on and off ten planes in Jan 2005, it had suffered. I bought a replacement. But, the first one is actually still working. I leave it on the front porch and use it when I am outside. That way I am not tracking dirt into the house.

Gary is on his second used Jazzy scooter since his stroke. The Dr. would not issue a prescription for a power chair because of his double vision and cognitive deficits. It would be like giving a blind drunk a driver's license. We purchased the scooters used from ads on craigslist.com and I have to operate the scooter walking backwards otherwise he would wreck into everything in site. He can, however, scoot from the bed to his scooter or chair to his scooter with no assistance but needs someone to standby just in case he overshoots it.

The power scooter is much sturdier for him to get in and out of compared to a regular wheelchair and he can't tip it over if he is off-balance. It helps to save on my back with him using the power scooter as it's easier for me to walk backwards operating the joystick than it is to push him around in a wheelchair (there again he can't operate a regular wheelchair with his double vision, so requires someone to push him). I bought a small fold-up ramp for the side of the van, but have to take one of the middle seats out in order to park the power chair in the van. It weighs almost as much much as lifting a folding wheelchair into the van, so I don't use it often when getting out of the house. We sometimes take walks to the park or to Walgreens (2 blocks away) and I will let Gary operate the joystick if we're off the sidewalk and along a curb, but I'm right alongside all the way and can take over if he starts getting too far into the street or against the curb.

Sarah

Thanks Sarah for that reply,

I tried a hoveround when I first got out the hospital, I got on it but couldn't get off. That's when I opted for a scooter, plus at that time, I thought I'd be bound to a wheelchair and a stairwell lift to get upstairs to the bedroom.

Now, I feel the scooter is a little easier to operate, I could be wrong. A chair is better for your back and probably much more comfortable to ride in for long periods of time, like shopping in the malls.

There again, I just use mine for transport from parking lots to inside the buildings. I usually walk with my quad cane once inside.

A lady said to me one day, "I thought I just saw you on a red scooter." I said, yes you did, but I parked it at McDonalds which is inside Walmarts, and I walk around in the store when I'm not working.

Thought I would pass this info along for those not aware it's right here on our site.

One of our affiliates: http://www.spinlife.com, has all kinds of chairs, scooters and much more at reasonable prices in the event your insurance won't cover a purchase you need.

The Invercare Zoom 220 I use daily is a travel scooter that breaks down into 4 parts. It goes easily on airplanes, boats and can be loaded in the trunk of a car with one hand as I do.

Three years ago they were all over 1500.00 dollars, now some are less than 600.00 on this website. Take a look at them in case you need one now or later in life.

They have the replacement tires in all sizes too. I've about worn my tires out and have already replaced the motor and batteries. I've had my scooter for over 3 years and use it every day outside and in the yard.

Hi Sarah and Fred,

I had a brainstem stroke about four years ago and have almost no sense of balance so i use a Batricar which has a windscreen and cab and is very stable and steered by a paddle. I would recommend it to anyone, they are available in the US so you may be able to find them second hand, they also have a web site, just put BATRICAR in the search engine and let your fingers do the walking.

Mike

I had my stroke five years ago, and got by with a standard wheelchair outside the house and a cane inside. When walking with the cane outside, i would tire very easily.

So two years ago i purchased :2cents: a minbi jazzy electric chair. i only use it when i leave the house to go to a store, dinner or the movies, etc. ( i was told medicare would only pay for it if i were housebound and needed around the house.

I'm a big person so the "mini" of the chair made me feel les secure with it when on a sharply angled sidewalk. So last summer I purchasaed a larger model and have put my first chair on sale. We have a Nissan Quest mini-van that we took the last seat out of. A business that specializes in mobility products installed a Harmar electric lift in the back. i'll usually drive tyhe chair to the passenger side of the van, and my wife will take it from there and put it on the lift which takes it up to van level and pulls it into the car. i'm lucky that I can manuver fairly wel, and get into the passenger seat on my own. We reverse the process when we get to our destination. The chair was about $2500 and the lift was about $3000 with the modifications that they had to do to the rear of the car. I bought both in NC and was able to avoid sales tax by having my doctor write a prescription for them both

I love the chair even though I always thought I'd be able to walk well by now. It gives me the ability to leasve the house to visit neighbors, etc.

We have a summerhome in Canada in a community on the shore of Lake Erie. We charge the chair under a front overhang, so i can go outside on my own and travel throughout the neighborhood. I had a cup holder put on the side of the chair so I can stop for a few beers with friends.

We charge the chair every night i use it. According to the users manual I can go 20 miles on a single charge. i've never tested that claim. But may try it now. We just built a home im Raleigh, NC in a community with 26 miles of sidewalks.

If I'm going to be out roaming around, i try top remember my cell phone in case somewthing goes wrong, or if my wife needs to get in touch with me.

Tom,

Thanks for your input, like you, I thought I'd be walking by now. We never know how long or how much we will recover. It's a good thing to have a means to still get around and enjoy what we can.

I didn't feel I was the only one needing transportation to get about on our own. I always run into others that have suggestions about certain units that are far better than what I have.

So, I thought I'd ask around here to see what others were using these days and the ease of using what they have. Still others are saying, I need this or that kind of vehicle to haul my scooter.

I do have a power lift in one vehicle for the scooter I use when we go out of town. I haul my everyday scooter in the trunk of my sedan because it's a travel scooter and easily break down into 4 parts I can load with one hand.

• 4 months later...

Following my second stroke I worked hard to regain my ability to walk. Ny PT's wouldn't give me a cane. Over the next few months, I experienced such severe pain in my hips and lower back. it was painful to walk. I started using the cane that belonged to my oldest son. He was 17 when he died of cancer. Using his cane I felt as he was right there with me. Over time and through intense pain, I could only manage a block or two with the help of my husband. I got a walker, which helped some. At last, a reason for the pain! Degenerative Osteo Arthritis in my lumbar spine - I had no padding left between the last 5 disks in my spine.

Since I am very proactive in my health care, I went to a pain clinic where I received a series of injections meant to block the nerves causing the pain. That helped for a while but it is very expensive.

My hubby retired and we started to travel. But pain kept me from doing things. That isn't the way I choose to live my life! My insurance will only pay for a Scooter if I can't get around my house. So I got my own! The cost was worth every cent! My "freemobile" enables me to get out again! I gave up driving so my scooter allows me the freedom to see the sites when we travel.

I have a golden lite travel scooter and I love it! One charge is good for 7 1/2 miles and it easily comes apart to transport from place to place.

The only problem for me is I have a really hard time navigating in small spaces. Have been known to knock down displays so I put the scooter on the slow turtle speed. That helps alot!

If walking is a problem, look into getting some wheels - your quality of life will be worth it!

Fred,

Interesting that you brought this subject up today. I got my InvaCare motorized wheelchair today and I am learning how to operate it. I was wearing out my right leg and arm by pushing myself around in the manual. Now I will be able to go outside without assistance. I feel like a bird that has been set free. It goes through all my doors. It may take a few days for me to master this chair, but I'm up to the challenge. I really like how it turns on a dime and I can maneuver corners so easily.

Vi

I am ambulating mostly on my own I occasionally use my quad cane , my knee get sore because I tend to pop my knew back at times I have tried to stop, but so far I haven't been able, I am going to see about a knee brace to prevent it so I can strengthen the leg without the pain it causes, I am really interested in this info in case this changes, when I move I was thinking of getting a wagon I can pull for groceries and laundry since I can carry much.

i am glad this topic was started. my daughter in law has been wanting me to get a scooter so i can get out more safely and go shopping. so i have been looking around some, and i see there are so many of them out there. i would think one that comes apart would be easier for me to deal with, but i'm not sure. i sure would enjoy getting back out in the neighborhood. i would appreciate any suggestions also.

Kim,

At the beginning of this topic or up above I listed a web site we have here, spin life.com, where you can check out a few scooters, If you have insurance you can go thru them as I did upon leaving the hospital 3 years ago.

My wife pushed me around in a wheel chair for about 4 months that got old for her and me then the scooter finally was approved and it's been a good thing in my life.

IT'S A GREAT WAY TO IMPROVE YOUR INDEPENDANCE. DO NOT BUY TOO SMALL, IF A 3 WHEEL,

CHECK OUT WEIGHT OF ALL PARTS TO SEE IF YOU CAN LIFT INTO TRUNK. DEPENDING ON OWNERS WEIGHT, 7 MILES IS A GOOD DISTANCE. LOOK ON NET, UNDER SCOOTERS,TO SEE RATINGS,

PRICE, BEST BUYS I FOUND WERE ON EBAY. I BOUGHT A GOLDEN TECHONOLGY

HIGHLY RATED FOR UNDER $1000.00 AND WORKS WELL IN AREA I LIVE.

GOOD LUCK YOU WON'T BE SORRY.

CHUCK

Fred or any others with info,

My question is: Rachel uses her quad cane for short distance and wheelchair at other times-we push her and she rolls around in it herself in the house and in the store. She has used power chairs in the mall and loves it, but the therapists didn't want her dependent on the motor scooters. They thought she would give up use of walking. What do you think?? Fred, you said you walk in the store. Did you become dependent more on scooter after you got it??

Rachel can't walk far at all with out totally being exhausted. We havn't asked the doc for a a script yet, but we think a scooter would come in handy at times. We just don't want Rachel to get used to it and not want to continue trying to walk.She would like one.

Lisas,

My first concern would be to see what HER doctor has to say on where he/she feels or know how she is progressing in her ability to walk and what they recommend.

A hemiwalker was my first support before leaving the rehab and my 4 month hospital stay then a quad cane. At that point it was decided by my doctors that my ability to walk was going to be a long rehab and I would not be able to use a regular walker. So the question of using a scooter came up and one was ordered by my doctor paid for by my insurance shortly after leaving the hospital in a wheel chair.

It stays in the trunk of my car. I walk all in my house with my cane and anywhere the distance is not very far like to the doctors office, etc. I can not say what's ideal in Rachael's case but my wife was worn out pushing that wheel chair during my transition period between chair and scooter.

I still can't walk very good but I walk quite a bit daily. I park my scooter, walk around in the garden center but jump on it to go to the mens room and to clock out and in. It's a super center about 2 blocks in space, It takes me about 12 minutes if I walk to the mens room. I did not/have not become dependent on the scooter but I have more freedom to do things on my own since I also drive myself everywhere.

I hope this gives you some idea what my case is and why I use a scooter. I still live upstairs, can go up/down and about anyplace I need to go by myself. Sometimes I don't take the scooter out of the trunk. On the other hand I can drive myself to the airport, park in Long Term, ride it to the ticket counter, either check it into baggage or some airlines let me take it onto the plane. It breaks down into 4 parts and can be stored right by the entry door in first class. They let the handicap on and off first.

Those are my thoughts!

Thanks so much Fred. I will talk to Rachel's doctor on her next visit. Rachel doesn't drive and it wears her out on stairs. Even in the house she uses her chair a lot.

Rachel can't use her right arm. She uses her quad cane, but does wear easily. I think sometimes that the therapists don't look at the whole picture. Like you said(long term). It's been over a year now for Rachel. :friends:

• 5 months later...

dh has a power chair and we love it.he can walk short distances with afo and a cane,but power chair is such a blessing.only problem is transporting it;have a mazda sedan.[chair probably weighs almost as much as car.]not really,but we're on limited budget and haven't figured out how to haul it.we live in the woods and don't like socializing a whole lot anyway,so it's fine.the chair has been a life saver outside;it goes in mud,over tree roots;has alot of power.it's great!!

I just found out a few minutes ago that my insurances have approved me to get a power chair from The Scooter Store - Like BIG Yeah!!!!!! I'll have much more independence when the winter weather is over. There were delays in getting the paperwork submitted by me primary doc (she apologized for the delay) and insurance took about a week to authorize. The fella I dealt with from the Scooter Store was very professional and helpful. I will get a call in the next day or so from distribution center. Should have chair in 5-10 days. If anyone is interested in The Scooter Store, feel free to pm me for info.

woohoo donna, you go girl, theres no stopping you now. that is great news. remember to get your accessories to doll it up abit, lol i really am happy for you, now you can get out more in the nice weather. have fun but be safe.

Ladyblue79,

I think your option for hauling the chair will be a lift and a different vehicle. Even if you removed the back seat and back rest you probably couldn't get it in the door or thru the trunk. Bruno is the biggest lift maker but there are others but they all have authorized dealers who installs them. Medicare does not pay for lifts but most auto makers will allow some rebate when you get a vehicle.

Donna,

That's great news, hope you enjoy it and be careful in that part of the country this time of year. Depending on the year model of your vehicle they give allowance for lifts.

well you go girl, Kristin will be wondering where you are off to now, i may look into one later, will see how it goes.I'm a little slow in making decisions

Unfortunately, I am actually doing too well for a motorized chair. The VA will not get me one, and of course my biological units are too greedy to help me out. Once I get my KAFO I should be able to do alright.

Doug

Doug,

If and when you happen to need a scooter from the VA without a heart condition you will have to request to go before a board for approval. Here I was couldn't walk no heart condition and they turned me down so I requested to go before the medical board and they approved me for the scooter and lift.

When I first got a powerchair, about a year after I stroked, I ordered from a company that worked with my rehab hospital. Anyway, my companies insurance paid for it, it is a Jazzy, and it tilts in space to take the weight off my butt. I use this chair in my house only. When we go somewhere I have a Hoveround chair that we keep in our van that I use only on 'away from the house' trips. Medicare paid for this chair completely. It doesn't tilt but I can usually sit in this chair for about 3 hours until my butt gets too tired.

In my 'house chair' I have a j-pad 2 that's about 4 inches thick, it's pretty comfy.

Archived