Power chairs and Scooters

fking

I got my first power chair about three years post stroke. It is a jazzywith a seat that lifts for easy transfers. i never use it in the house, reverting to my cane. But if we go to the mall or out to dinner we bring the chair. We put a lift in the back of our Quest minivan. Lft was manufactured by Harmar, based in Florida. The chair and the lift were each about $2500, but the additional freedom I have was worth every cent. The lift does get stuck sometimes, but i think we've learned all the tricks to keep it going. i also outfitted the chair with a cupholder which comes in handy when we're in our vacation community in Canada. i usually take apin around the neighborhood about 5 p.m., lokiing for beer and good conversation with neighbors Of coursde it is great for trips to Target or Costco. Althoughh insurance wouldn't pay for the chair or the lift, I was advised to get a prescription from my doctor for both of them. With the script I paid no tax. We live in North Carolina, and it could be different in other states.

Tom holub

As update -got my chair and love it. been cruisin it around the house to get accustomed to it before taking it out. Of course, right now, too dang cold here in PA to be out cruisin with it. I'm inspired though for warmer weather :happydance: .

Yea Donna,

I would think for now you would need chains on your wheels with all that snow in your area. It shouldn't take you long to get the hang of it. Just don't exceed the incline limits of about 8 degrees or any steep angle movements. They can tip over if handled wrongly.

• 2 weeks later...

I just started looking for a new chair for Sam. Called 4 local places and they seemed like they really didn't want to talk to me. Saw the posts on the Scooter Store, and at the same time a commercial came on. Put in a call and WOW!! The gal was friendly, asked me lots of questions, and answered mine. We have an appointment with her tomorrow to look at their stuff and her ideas. Since we get outside alot, and Sam pretty much lives in her's, we need comfort and LOTS of traction. She gets stuck in the yard often, and I'm not paving the whole lawn. Anybody have experience with a "Jet" brand chair? Any suggestions for an indoor/outdoor powerchair? (can you get a lawnmower attachment for them?)

sktlwsk,

Check with this medical dealer: Allied home medical, they may have what you need in traction type chairs of every size. Call them 800-230-6099, ext 145. They will send you all the info you need to make a decision in your needs.

• 2 months later...

I have a power wheel chair. I do not use it in the home, as I have many items that support my drop foot and various new gait.

How long have you been using your chair/scooter?

How has it helped make your life more liveable?

How far or how long can you operate on a full battery charge?

Do you need it in home or just when going outside?

Do you require assistance in it's daily use?

I have been using this power chair since September 07. It has helped life more liveable since my vertibral and basilar arteries are over 90 per cent occluded I can not stand for long periods of time without pasing out. This allows me to go out to the library, the park, the store and generally goof around...I am not a shut in..

Full battery charge for me ,a 250 lb man in a generally flat area, can safely get 20 miles out of a full charge.....

I don't require assistance at all. It has an easy plug in charger where I don't have to bend to access it. They custom make it depending on what "ills ya"....I would have had a wheel chair but my left arm is mostly "kaput"..So they gave me the control for my right hand.

I have a two year warranty for home repairs and they do respond quickly. Two important things to remember...Maybe three..Hahahahha...One, avoid wet weather due to the control panel....Two, you are not Evil Kneival so don't try to go full speed and turn sharp.....It does not work....Hahahahah..Trust me Third, be aware that the sides and rear of the chair need extra clearance to swing around...Test drive all the wheel drives they have. I chose front wheel drive as it had the most traction on gravel, grass hills and inclines.

Many of us depend on medical equipment in one way or another. I want to start this topic to exchange info about use, experiences, convinues of operating your equipment.

I read somewhere that powerchair is better than scooter if you can't use both arms. If you are using a scooter with only one arm, please let us know how true that statement is. Joe

i been in a wheelchair for 13 years and this is my third wheelchair. yes i am a quad so i am 100% dependent on power. i can add this if u r going to invest your money i would not recomend buying over internet. some thing malfuntion your on your own. buy off a dealer and their your best freind. when you ask questions get some education such as tork. thats good point if you drive rough terran such as your back yard. i drove products like invecare and jazzy. i like jazzy because of their tork feature, its automatic. do scooter chairs have the tork feature?. do you want a midwheel drive, front wheel drive or a rear wheel drive. i get a 2 year reguardless replacement on batteries and wheels. i understand i am in a differant catergory for qualifications but bring those questions to thr scooter store or where ever. this is a great topic ilike reading others in this.. if u like you can veiw my ride on my web site dave13.com. i have a mid-wheel drive and this chair turned me into a Sunday wheelchair potato

donna your news put shivers down my spine

• 3 months later...
Guest faithycan

Hi All,

I bought my husband Tom the rascal 600. He loves it. He had just had his license taken away on the same day that this arrived. The salesman was very kind and not pushy. We found out soon enough this didn't have enough juice for Tom. (he likes to go to the lake) So the salesman came back, upgraded Tom for nothing. He put wanted him to be in ads, and he got the scooter upgrade for zip. I paid 1,000 for the first one. Tom has a severe stroke, and I know this scooter helps him so much feel like himself. This is the outside kind.

Thanks,

Faith

Archived