Research Program Involving Brain Stimulation

My husband received a letter today from the National Stroke Assn. They are inviting him to participate in a research program that involves putting a patch on the dura of the brain and another under the skin just below the collarbone that is a stimulator, both of which he would have in him for 6 weeks. Then he would be put in a rehab program everyday for 2 1/2 hrs a day and while they are rehabing his arm and hand (that's what this research is for) the stimulator thing would keep zapping his brain. They want to see if using the patches makes recovery faster and/or better. Anybody ever heard of this or know anything about it?

Betty Jean

hi betty jean, i received the same info but its for people that have some movement in their affected wrist and fingers. it sounded great but wouldn't work for me. good luck if your husband decides to precipitate. i had also heard their advertisement on the radio. i would check with his doctor first, its a long study i think. let us know if you all decide to do it. kimmie

Thank You to everyone who answered my post! You can be sure that I will be doing a whole lot more research into this thing before I even consider it for Jim. First of all, I would like to know how they got our name and address. I've never heard of these people before and it bothers me that they just show up out of the blue like that, Anyway, if after I check it out we decide to do this research thing, I will keep you posted as to what's being donw and hoow it's going. Thanks Again!

Betty Jean

To be eligible for this study, one must be 21 years of age and have experienced an ischemic (clotting) stroke at least 4 months ago; can partially move the affected hand/arm. Stroke survivors with complete paralysis of one side are excluded from the current study.

I am excluded because my stroke was caused by a bleed and I have paralysis on my entire left side.

Vi

Hi Betty Jean,

I am 1 year post stroke and an alumni of the Northstar/Everest project at Emory University in Atlanta.

There are about 22 centers in the US participating in the trial with about 180 people to be chosen...

half for the device and half for the control group (therapy). Once the patient is pre-qualified, you are randomly chosen for either group. I cried for 2 days when I was chosen for the control group. You might

think I am crazy (brain damaged, my wife calls it), but I was a 31 year police officer when stricken and very agressive in nature. Once I got over it, my wife and I moved to Atlanta from Pensacola and I went to therapy

every day for 6 weeks 2-3 hours per day one on one with a very good therapist. The results? Going in,

very little movement in my arm or fingers...coming out, I can tie my shoes, write my name, carry my own suitcase, comb my hair...things that I never thought I would do again. The cost? Meals. Everything else is paid for. The danger? One of the best neuro-surgeons in the country, Dr. Gross, commented, "we have not lost anyone yet". You see, the company, based in Seattle is betting that the "device" people will perform

better than the non-device people. So there you have it...no gotchas, no trickery. In my opinion, this technology will be forefront in stroke recovery in 2 years at a cost of $25-$30,000.00. The cost is 0 now.

Good luck in making your decision. Don't wait long...the study I've been told will be complete in July or so

this year. Any other questions, please ask.

Joel M

• 2 months later...

Betty Jean,

I had the surgery about 9 days ago, and am just starting my therapy. If you are worried about the surgery, it is about as non-evasive surgery you can have while being under a general anesthesia. Of course elective brain surgery is something you shouldn

Archived