Low Heart Rate

Hi Everyone,

I have just gotten awake from another much needed nap. My doctor recently gave me samples of Provigil to take to try to give me some energy to help me since I also have lupus and other problems that make me tired. Plus this is my fourth ministroke. I have not taken any yet as I always try to look everything up before taking anything new. The only problems I found which bother me is it said not to take it if I take Simvastatin (which I do to reduce cholesterol levels to prevent a heart attack) and not to take it if I have mitral vavle prolapse (which I do) but it does say what happens if you take this with Simvastatin and what happens if you take it and you have Mitral Valve Prolapse. I called the pharmacist as they are usually very good at telling me about any drug interaction, but they didn't know and they referred me back to my doctor, but always like to get more than one opinion. These pills are at least $600.00 dollars a month and I thought they would be worth a try since they are samples, however I don't want to do anything that would bother me as I was given Lexapro ( an SSRI) by another doctor and it sent me bonkers as they thought since I was tired I must be depressed. I am not depressed. I know from going through a divorce a little over ten years ago that I know what depression is. I know I have my emotions are right at the top. But everytime I have one of these ministrokes I get severely tired and it takes me a long time to even get a little of the gas pedal started again. Eventually I get enough to go back to work and come home and crash each day and I am able to get through each day like that but at least I can do it and can function to some degree. I just anted to know if anyone else had ever tried Provigil and what results they had with it. I would appreciate hearing from you nad your experiences from and with it! Thanks ahead of time for sharing!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering about anyone that has had multiple strokes. Do you get more tired with each stroke? Each time, with this being the fourth, it is taking me longer to get any energy at all. I am not depressed but I sleep good at night now but I barely do anything and it wears me out so much quicker than in the past. I have noticed after reviewing my notes from the other ones that it is requiring more and more rest after each one. Is this common? I am 53 and this has been the fourth one and they started when I was 50. It has been a month since the stroke and usually I am starting to get a little more energy by now. I do little things at a time and feel quite an accomplishment, but then it takes me a day or two to get an energy to make another attempt to do something else. Yesterday I went with my husband to get a few things at the store to get out a little. It felt good but it seemed like we were gone quite a lot longer than we actually were. I was pleased I got to complete a task but not please that I am so played out today as by now I usually am able to tolerate more by this time after a stroke. Any hints or suggestions from others would be appreciated.Thanks :)

Hi There,

I know it is difficult, but try to remember that you are only about a month out from your last stroke. I looked back at your post and noticed that you have several complicating health conditions to contend with. Two issues stuck out - hypothyroidism and mitral valve prolapse. Have you had your thyroid checked lately? There could be some connection between an inactive thyroid and fatigue. I know when my mom needed an adjustment to her synthroid she always knew because she was so tired - no exhausted. Also, any condition having to do with your heart can also create fatigue. I know with my husband, his heart rate is an issue as it relates to fatigue. Bill is four years out from his second stroke and three and half out from his last stroke, but he still experiences a great deal of fatigue. He also has hypothyroidism and a mitral valve prolapse.

I think you are doing great to get up and out at all!! Be kind to yourself, since this isn't your first stroke you know it takes time for your brain to heal.

Good luck and keep us posted!

I dont have any good advice for you but I do have a ton of good wishes!! I

wish for you days that are in every way better ane better each day!! Multiple strokes is a drag. My brother has had four and myself I have had at least two only a few weeks apart. They told my family I would not survive. God and I beg to differ!! Hang in there!! I am 1 1/2 years post stroke!! I am not what I once was but I am the best me I can be!!

HI,

Thank everyone for corresponding. It really helps me to have all the support. It is a great pick me up and sure does help me more than you can know. Please hang in there as God has obviously a reason for me still being here on this Earth and is not ready for me to come home yet. I am strong but I feel I just need a generator for this body that feels like a deflated balloon. God bless each and everyone and I alwasy put my trust in the Lord as He knows what is best. I always pray for him to give me the strength to handle each and every day what comes my way. Thanks to everyone and hope all are having a great day and are doing better each day!

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for everyone who is writing as well as though who are reading along. I just got my blood results back. My thyroid medicine did not need to be changed. I am extremely tired. I did try the Provigil, but I had problems with too many side effects to continue with it. I am no longer taking it. It would be great for people with narcolepsy as I guarantee you would not sleep while taking it! I am feeling better but I am tired. I am able to do things for a short period of time and then I rest. I try to keep my energy bank in the plus column as I have learned to do over the years. Once the stroke hits it takes a while to get it out of the minus column but I know it will get there in time with lots of rest, support and patience. I am lucky to have such a good caregiver as my husband is so loving and so understanding. He is so sweet and caring. Luckily I don't have children at home still as they are all grown and on their own. When they do come to visit, I love to have them and enjoy them while they are here but it does where me out so we plan for this time accordingly especially with the holidays. Once again, thanks for the communication and support. It is really appreciated. Please continue as it sure helps beyond anything anyone can know. :rolleyes:

Glad you are feeling better. Just take it slow and easy. Do what you can and rest can wait until another time.

Sounds like you have a doable plan for the holidays - hope all works out and you can enjoy the holidays with your family.

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone!

I haven't been on the board for a while as I have been having a huge flare. I have not felt well for quite some time. I have a lot of issues which I will list as I need advice : Mxed Connective Tissue Disease (Lupus,scleroderma and polymosits), Mitral valve prolapse, antiphospholipid factor of #14, fibromyalgia, rheumatoid arthritis, hypothryoidism, and I have had four tias. I am trying to work as much as possible as my husband has worked for the same company for 27 years. Unfortunately he had to have foot surgery last April and developed a huge blood clot that has never dissolved. It starts at his groin and goes down below the knee all the way down to the groin. He had physical therapy which only aggravated it and he ended up with pitting edema in both legs which he did not have before the therapy. The insurance company has now put him on long term disability. He is on coumadin as he is a high risk for any more surgery as they are afraid he may have another blood clod or a piece of the existing one may break of and go the lung or heart.

I am extremely exhausted as I know I am in a huge flare up. Unfortunately where I live there are no reputable rheumatolgists in my area. Has anyone else been in this delemma? I am not on steroids at this time. They have tried but I have severe reactions to the medications. Any advice would be helpful. I am 53, my children are grown but live far away. I work full time, but I have missed work with the tia's and having had a corpectomy last year. It is also wearing me down mentally as it is hard to work when you don't feel well.

I hope all of you are doing okay and are able to use the board for info and to hear from others. It also helps me. Please help as I know all of you understand where I am coming from. A BIG THANK YOU AHEAD OF TIME!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Archived