National Stroke Association Fact Sheet

The following is a fact sheet provided by N.S.A.:

Recovery After Stroke: Coping with Emotions

Dealing with a flood of emotions can be hard for stroke survivors. Some emotions are normal responses to the changes in your life after stroke. Others are common but should not be considered a normal part of stroke recovery. If you suffer from depression, anxiety or emotions that are not in line with the occasion, seek help.

Dealing with Depression

Grieving for what you have lost is good for you. But when sadness turns to depression, it

Donna,

Thanks for the great post. Having gone through "emotional lability" with Bill I know how important it is to talk to your doctor. It was months and months before a doctor listened to me describe Bill's emotions. I found it strange that they would observe him tearing up when they talked to him, but just told him he'd feel better, to just hang in there.

Finally during a hospital stay that included a pshychiatric evaluation he was prescribed Celexa - just a small amount. It worked for awhile, then he was switched to Lexapro. That seems to work very well.

Yes, there are some emotions we all have to "work through" after stroke, but if those emotions continue for weeks and weeks, then months, please know there is a way out. There are medications that will help - even in very small amounts. Because of a pre-existing issue Bill has only been prescribed 5 mg. of Lexapro, but it works. The crying is gone - yes, there is some tearing from time to time, however that emotion is at appropriate times. He no longer cries when the cat comes in the house or the telephone rings, or the furnace comes on - that is emotinal lability and it can be treated.

Thanks again for the post Donna.

Warmly,

Having Extreme Anxiety

Anxiety is an overwhelming sense of worry or fear. It can include increased sweating or heart rate. Among stroke survivors, feelings of anxiety are common. Often, stroke survivors suffer from both depression and anxiety at the same time.

Anxiety can affect rehab progress, daily living, relationships and quality of life. So, be sure to seek help right away.

I've been doing this since September 2005 and still going through this (not with depression). If any people has these problems, get help. It only gets worse if you don't need help.

Bill :(

ayOU HIT THE NAIL, RIGHT ON - aFTER A STROKE, besides the awful physical things you must relearn, there is the crying at any moments notice and depression, but, for me, time was on my side as I kept too busy to think about ME

June :2cents:

great topic to bring up, donna. how can a stroke not bring on those emotions, especially depression. its so important to get help! you can't always treat it on your own. i still sometimes have my crying spells, but they are alot better now with meds and not as often. as soon as they start, they will stop. i was told it is due to the stroke and where it affected my brain, lol i do pretty well most of the time, thank goodness for the meds. they help make my life tolerable now in trying to cope with the many changes and challenges.

k.anderson

Archived