He's not the man I married any more

Guest hitcricket

jriva - a beautiful post, your husband is blessed to have you.

I think 4 months into a stroke is too soon to determine what is lost and what can be found and what has truly changed.

I think that flawed marriages are obviously shattered by a stroke but if it weren't a stoke I think any number of things would blow these marriages apart.

What we are is not what we do - I have always believed this, what we are is how we see ourselves and how we project ourselves. Its how we love those around us - a look, touch, smile... its what we laugh at and what how we can illicit a laugh from others with a look or a gesture or a joke... its being there and listening to someone when they need to talk and being loyal and honest and communicating what we need, how and when but being reasonable and patient when it isn't or can't be done exactly how or when we need it done. There are so many ways things that make us worthwhile and valuable that have nothing to do with making a living, mowing the lawn, washing the car or paying the bills... even just trying to do the things you can, even if you fail - its the trying that makes people see you in such a positive light.

Bless all of you for trying so hard and surviving it all...

• ksmith pinned this topic