Menus

twins,

First welcome to the site. Remember to post an introduction to help everyone get acquainted with you.

I did some research anfd found the following on WebMD:

While taking warfarin, it is important to eat a balanced, consistent diet. Avoid sudden large increases or decreases in your intake of foods high in vitamin K (e.g., liver, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, kale, spinach and other green leafy vegetables, green tea, certain vitamin supplements) because doing so may change the effect of this medication.

I take 81 mg low dose aspirin not a prescription. I'm sure others who take coumadin or warfarin will have suggestions as well.

:hiya: hi , I also am on 82 mg aspirin and plavix, the only thing i have to avoid is grapefruit but I don't remember which medicine has that warning. :dribble:

:hiya: hi , I also am on 82 mg aspirin and plavix, the only thing i have to avoid is grapefruit but I don't remember which medicine has that warning. :dribble:

It's Plavix and I'm on it as well, and I love Grapefruit juice :(

My daughter Rachel also is on Coumadin. The doctor told us to watch the same foods as Donna posted, as well as cranberry juices and anything with cranberries.

He also told us that salads are still a good source of nutrients, just not in large amounts.

Also, antibiotics can change your INR levels as well as big changes in exercise.

I also read and posted to watch the amount of mayonaise.

If you contact the nutronist at the hospital they should be able to supply you with a list of foods you can eat in small amounts and some foods to stay away from.

The main thing is to keep vegetables high in K in close to the same amounts weekly. Big changes in diet is what makes it hard to keep the INR levels in line.

In the forum on the main board : Medication are 25 pinned/linked topics on coumadin and other posts and replies also.

Guest lwisman

Grapefruit juice is not allowed if you are on a statin drug for high cholesterol. By chance are you also on a statin?

• 1 month later...

Here is a site to read about grapefruit effects on certain drugs.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/iyh-vsv/food-alimen...lemousse_e.html

It's been almost 4 yrs now since my stroke and I have not been allowed to have ANY grapefruit. I was told that with the drugs I am taking, grapefruit would be fatal.

As for eating greens (high in K) I also have not been allowed to have any. It took a lot of getting used to being without all those veggies I love(d) ! lol I think that what I most miss are pickles!

My caregiver does a pretty good job with preparing meals for me, to generalize, I'd say that the food I get is sort've along the line of a diabetic diet and a heart healthy diet.

I guess you can tell from the above that I have very strict doctors. I am one of those who Looks healthy, and my medications, not my diet, have affected me such that I weigh 50 - some pounds more that I did pre stroke, which was about 124 lbs. This makes me look even healthier to a number of former work associates and causes rumors at the office where I worked (I am on work disability insurance) that I am exagerating my illness. So I avoid a lot of former colleagues , and makes me even more of a recluse than ever. oops here I go :yadayada: This new life is a tough one.

Lyn

I'm not supposed to have grapefuit eithe, not sure which drup said no grapefuit, I 'm on plavix, several diff high blood pressure and a statin, plus others, I try to avoid it, before I realized I was supposed to avoid it, I ate a citrus salad that had grapefruit sections in it, and I didn't notice any affectys, maybe I was lucky. or msybe god does look out for fools.

Hello Twins,

Another welcome to the site, hope you have come back to read some of the replies, they come fast. I noticed you just joined a few days ago, take your time, read around the board and enjoy yourself.

For some reason, grapefruit juice/grapefruit, which is good for you (normally) isn't permitted with a large number of medications. For years, I drank grapefruit juice and ate grapefruit when I was taking the medicine and then they said, it was a no-no. I said to the pharmacist that I drank a large glass of it daily and she said that perhaps my system accepted it or something like that and that I now shouldn't be taking it. Since I had stopped, I didn't start taking it daily, but she said it was ok every now and then. It's been over a year since I've had a half of gapefruit.

As far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't be surprised in a few years if they said- ohm it's ok. Personally, I'm sad that I can't take any blood thinners (I liked taking the aspirin because it is so good for a number of things but glad I can't take warfarin because all the vegetables are the ones I like. They should do something to the medication to make it safe with the good natural vegetables. Some day............

My husband has been taking Zocor for awhile and he was cautioned about grapefruit, also. When I asked the doctor about it, he said the combination has been shown to cause liver damage in some people and it was probably best to avoid grapefruit.

Vi

Archived