CAREGIVERS BILL OF RIGHTS (Quick Find)

jriva

Hi Everyone,

I copied the following "Caregivers Bill of Rights" off The American Heart's Associations' website. They didn't say who wrote it, but whoever it was sure did understand caregivers and some of the issues we face.

Jean

CAREGIVERs BILL OF RIGHTS

I have the right:

To take care of myself. This is not an act of selfishness. It will enable me to take better care of my loved one.

I have the right:

To seek help from others even though my loved one may object. I recognize the limits of my own endurance and strength.

I have the right:

To maintain facets of my own life that do not include the person I care for, just as I would if he or she were healthy. I know that I do everything that I reasonably can for this person, and I have the right to do some things for myself.

I have the right:

To get angry, be depressed and express other difficult emotions occasionally.

I have the right:

To reject any attempt by my loved one (either conscious or unconscious) to manipulate me through guilt, anger or depression.

I have the right:

To receive consideration, affection, forgiveness and acceptance from my loved one for as long as I offer these qualities in return.

I have the right:

To take pride in what I am accomplishing and to applaud the courage it sometimes takes to meet the needs of my loved one.

I have the right:

To protect my individuality and my right to make a life for myself that will sustain me when my loved one no longer needs my full-time help.

I have the right:

To expect and demand that as new strides are made in finding resources to aid physically and mentally impaired persons in our country, similar strides will be made toward aiding and supporting caregivers.

Guest HostLinda

Hi Jean,

Boy this is right. I guess I had never thought of it that way. To me at times this is the Hardest Job I have ever done. But I would not change anything,Except to have Mike to be ALL better..Well writing this post Mike has had another TIA.He is in bed resting. It is 11:30AM on June 29th. To Me this is the HARDEST point. NEVER knowing when the next TIA is going to hit. And how many Good days in a row we will get.. But WE do Thank GOD for ALL Good days and know he is here with us during the Bad days too... HostLinda

We talked about ownership of stroke and how caregiver and survivor can improve on understanding each other. Well with that thought in mind the third right listed is a priority. The survivor needs to understand that right to maintain a healthy relationship. Thanks Jean for posting. Tom

all excellent points,gang....what wisdom!!!!!! :D

But, really, I am impressed with the wisdom and maturity of most everyone here.

A real swell bunch of nuts. :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! Did I need to read the CAREGIVERS BILL OF RIGHTS. I'm going to print it off and pin it to my fridge. Because sometimes I have such tremendous guilt when I want to do things for myself...thankyou for posting it..

Hugz Robera (aka Bobi) {angel}

Guest Rena0308

I am a caregiver of a stroke victim as of May 27, 2004 and I really needed to read this Caregivers Bill of Rights. My Mom is 72 and paralyzed totally on the right side. So far every time I leave the house just to buy groceries I get called back home because she needs me for something. This Bill of Rights was just what I needed. I was feeling like I had no right to leave the house and that I should get someone else to even run the errands for me. I am by myself to care for her except for when I go to work and then I have a person come into the home and care for her. Now I realize that IT IS OKAY that I go on errands and take time for me. She is just becoming dependent on me and wants me with her every second. My children are more than willing to be with her so that I can get out and run errands and take some time for me. They have been telling me to take time but then when they are here Mom finds a need for me to come home. Maybe we (my children and I) need to sit down and have a discussion about what requires me to come home and what does not require me to come home. Thank you for the Bill of Rights. {angel}

• 2 years later...

Archived