finding humor after strokes

Hi...

This is the first time I have written on this board. I have recently had my 6th ischemtic stroke and I was recently very down in the dumps. For years I had written a blog/website about normal day to days things.

Out of the hospital with the 6th stroke, and I sit here and decided I could pout or do about smething. I started another blog/website... to make fun of myself in strokedom... I wondered if people with strokes would be offended. I think it I having not offensive. This is when I found this board.

I thought maybe the people on this board may want to stop and look the board over and provide advice, etc... what to not to not or things I could be doing.

http://dennytesting.blogspot.com/

Thanks for you time and advice!

Denny Shane

Email deleted for security. Please use the Personal Message (PM) system. LW

Welcome Denny,

I see you are in my home town. Glad to have you start using the message board. With the strokes you have had, your time has been spent recovering for sure.

I will visit your site, glad you shared it with us. There is plenty to read here also. When you get time introduce yourself in the newbie Forum so others can welcome you and tell you about the information we have to share.

You've been a silent member for 3 years, so its good to hear from you, again welcome aboard.

Hi fking...

Thank you for the "welcoming" As keeping for keeping quiet for a few years... it was was stupid reasons. Nothing really happened happen to me... outright any could see. After the time the 3rd and 4th happened I figuring I better to getting something done. Within a month, 5 and 6 came alongside... I knew the time was now..

Thanks for coming by and comment on here. I will be keeping by all the time!

Thanks again,

Denny Shane

Denny,

I checked out your site - way cool! As mentioned above, we also have a blog community.

I look forward to seeing you active here at Strokenetwork. We're a supportive and encouraging bunch of individuals. Our ages, types of stroke, and deficits vary but there's one common thread - WE MADE IT!!!

There are Survivors, Caregivers and Family Members in our membership as well as friends and health professionals.

We also have live chats throughtout the week. The chat schedule is in the drop-down menu under Members Area.

hi denny and welcome to the site. boy, you sure have been busy. why or do they know why you are having so many strokes, NOT FUN. your blog is interesting to read and you haven;t lost your sense of humor. GOOD THING. keep blogging as it is good therapy. join us in chat sometime,we have fun in there. the schedule is under the members area drop down menu. i look forward to getting to know you better. thanks for sharing your blog.

kanderson(aka kimmie)

I remember one thing...

(at the hospital they had dry-erase board on the wall - said who nurse, aide, etc. was for the day)...

It had the name for the nurse as "flor"..

when two other ones came into the room, and looked at the board, one said "i think it is pronounced floor - the other one said - No, F-L-O-R is how you spell "flower"...(Yikes)...

Hey Kimmie...

Thanks! Busy? laugh... I don't know why keeping I am keeping them busy at the hospital! By the two arteries in the front are blocked and I am using the rear ones overtime now. A are now starting to talk to about bypass surgery of up one artery of the blocked one into another one someplace else. Shrug.

I can remember after my first one about 3 yrs while I was the VA Hospital here in Houston... the Dr. began telling if there an operation were was interested in doing on. I tiold him go please go on and tell me tell me more. I would have to travel to Dallas, TX to have it done. I asked how successfully they had done with the operations so far. He said, "why, Denny, you would be one ever to have this one"

WHAT??? I politiely told him to call me back after they had done maybe 20 0r 30 operations. laugh. I may be alots of things in life, but a guneau pig was not one. Laugh

Thanks,

Denny

hi denny and welcome to the site. boy, you sure have been busy. why or do they know why you are having so many strokes, NOT FUN. your blog is interesting to read and you haven;t lost your sense of humor. GOOD THING. keep blogging as it is good therapy. join us in chat sometime,we have fun in there. the schedule is under the members area drop down menu. i look forward to getting to know you better. thanks for sharing your blog.

kanderson(aka kimmie)

I remember one thing...

(at the hospital they had dry-erase board on the wall - said who nurse, aide, etc. was for the day)...

It had the name for the nurse as "flor"..

when two other ones came into the room, and looked at the board, one said "i think it is pronounced floor - the other one said - No, F-L-O-R is how you spell "flower"...(Yikes)...

and these are people that were taken care of you right? Laugh... Seriously... nurses and aides, are the blood lines of the hospitals... they kept the places running smoothly!.

Denny

:welcome: Denny,

My daughter Rachel had a massive stroke on 2/17/06. She was only 22. It ws also ischemic affecting her right side. She walks with a quad cane and wears an AFO. I just wrote an article to our local newspaper on stroke awareness. I hope it will be published next week.

I read your blog. Good stuff.

You will find lots of people to :chat: with here. Lots of information.

Come back and visit soon. :friends:

Hiya Lisa...

Say hi to Rachel!! I know what a quad cane is but not what an AFO. After my 1st they gave me a quad and I did ok with it. Then they gave me one of the ... I not what they are called... walker-thingy where I grab on both side and they wheels and I slide to along. Shamed I don't live back in Philly... in the winter and I could sled shoes on and slide along. lol

Good luck if it get published!

Thanks writing!

Denny

:welcome: Denny,

My daughter Rachel had a massive stroke on 2/17/06. She was only 22. It ws also ischemic affecting her right side. She walks with a quad cane and wears an AFO. I just wrote an article to our local newspaper on stroke awareness. I hope it will be published next week.

I read your blog. Good stuff.

You will find lots of people to :chat: with here. Lots of information.

Come back and visit soon. :friends:

welcome denny, glad you came out of hiding, your blog is excellent, I hope you start one here, I had a tia which they called a mini stroke, then about 3 weeks later I a series of strokes at night , when I got up in the morning to go to the bathroom, and boy my bladder was full, I went down and had a hard time getting up, I was laughing also, I could just imagine if my husband called the paramedics again, and we had a whole squad of fireman cone into the bathroom, if I couldn't get up, I didn't drive myself but I did have my husband drive me, so I can relate, I have the internal carotid artery blocked, I also suffer depression if I don't take the meds and multi-vitamin,I don't know it only works if I take one. I liked your story about trying to stick yourself and having the end fly off, I hope they helped you get better at using it, , the hospital I was in they would only use their machine and it needed a big drop of blood I hate to have my fingers poked, my glucometer using your arm or leg or other places so I use my forarm usually, lots less pain, it is the freestyle flash and much improved over the ones that you have to stick your finger, so I test more often and now that I am back on insulin, I test even more. I only have to take 7 units of lantus so not as bad as when in hospital, then they also gave me novalog at every meal then woke me up at night to test and it was always to low, and they would bring me snacks, i got so I hated peanut butter and graham crackers, I finally

complained and started getting other stuff. :welcome: :hug: :dribble:

IPB Image

Hey Denny,

An AFO is a platic brace that fits in your shoe. Rachel has drop foot which causes the foot to contract. Rachel can't move her ankle so without the brace it would break. They aren't very comfy. She is having a new one made as the other one is starting to cut into her foot.

I'm sure Rachel would enjoy one to slide around in, so if you invent one let us know!!! :hahaha:

Hi lady k!

I had to chuckle at you going to the bathroom. It's a terrible feeling laughing while you are laying there on the floor, isn't it?

I am thrilled I am only a Type II... I hated having the nurses coming everything few hours waking me up to get a some blood. With the nurse coming to the house, it's only once a week now. When I wrote the article about that I had to sit an chuckle at the whole espisode. Like you, I am also diagnosed with clinical depression. Let's I have high blood pressure, high cholesrol, diabetes, clinical depression, one heart attack, the strokes... I swear my medicine cabinet looks like a Rite-Aid or Walgreen's.

Thanks for writing!

Denny

welcome denny, glad you came out of hiding, your blog is excellent, I hope you start one here, I had a tia which they called a mini stroke, then about 3 weeks later I a series of strokes at night , when I got up in the morning to go to the bathroom, and boy my bladder was full, I went down and had a hard time getting up, I was laughing also, I could just imagine if my husband called the paramedics again, and we had a whole squad of fireman cone into the bathroom, if I couldn't get up, I didn't drive myself but I did have my husband drive me, so I can relate, I have the internal carotid artery blocked, I also suffer depression if I don't take the meds and multi-vitamin,I don't know it only works if I take one. I liked your story about trying to stick yourself and having the end fly off, I hope they helped you get better at using it, , the hospital I was in they would only use their machine and it needed a big drop of blood I hate to have my fingers poked, my glucometer using your arm or leg or other places so I use my forarm usually, lots less pain, it is the freestyle flash and much improved over the ones that you have to stick your finger, so I test more often and now that I am back on insulin, I test even more. I only have to take 7 units of lantus so not as bad as when in hospital, then they also gave me novalog at every meal then woke me up at night to test and it was always to low, and they would bring me snacks, i got so I hated peanut butter and graham crackers, I finally

complained and started getting other stuff. :welcome: :hug: :dribble:

IPB Image

Hiya again Lisa...

That must be uncomfortable for Rachel. A again I am ignorant on the subject but is a "drop foot" as a result of a stroke? I am learning so much in the last month reading about strokes on the internet and in particular right here on StrokeNet. It is one thing to read articles by professionals... but it's a totally different perspective hearing from a survivor or family member.

Thanks for writing!

Denny

Hey Denny,

An AFO is a platic brace that fits in your shoe. Rachel has drop foot which causes the foot to contract. Rachel can't move her ankle so without the brace it would break. They aren't very comfy. She is having a new one made as the other one is starting to cut into her foot.

I'm sure Rachel would enjoy one to slide around in, so if you invent one let us know!!! :hahaha:

Denny said...

Let's I have high blood pressure, high cholesrol, diabetes, clinical depression, one heart attack, the strokes... I swear my medicine cabinet looks like a Rite-Aid or Walgreen's.

I think they like to throw that word around "depression"...they said that to me after first stroke (and I was thinking...well gee, almost died, have a ton of things the matter with me...but heck, no, I'm not "depressed", I'm thrilled:)

Denny,

The term AFO means-Ankle Support Orthosis. It's the device to support the ankle and hold the foot in place.

Drop Foot means-The muscles used to flex the ankles and toes are weak. The toes droop downward, and in Rachels case, her big toe flexes up when it's spastic. This hinders the normal walking motion. Drop foot is an injury to the nerves caused by stroke or other medical conditions.

We're going to St Louis Tuesday to a nuerology group as a matter of fact see if there is anything else we can do for Rachel's spasticity, drop foot, dystonia, that we're not doing already. All that I mentioned can be very painful. We have tried 7 different oral meds and Botox injections times 3. We've also tried phenyl alcohol injections. The injections are supposed to relax the muscles. On Rachel they did this at a very minimal stage. The injections were very painful to her. The doctor even gave her Valium pryor and it would hurt. I don't see how woman do this for pleasure on their lunch hour for wrinkles. LOL

Hey Lisa...

OK, got it! So much to learn. Good luck on the trip.

Thanks,

Denny

Denny,

The term AFO means-Ankle Support Orthosis. It's the device to support the ankle and hold the foot in place.

Drop Foot means-The muscles used to flex the ankles and toes are weak.

Hey!

I even an answer the first please I stop is here right. By the way... who is June?

Thanks!

Denny

:( you are going through much and if we can help, just ask

June

P.S. This site is here for that purpose, so put us to work!

I put a note to LW sending the bracelets and hat which I received today. I posted someplace else and didn't how to erase it. Sorry. But here the picture is once again. Thanks again!

IPB Image

Guest lwisman

Hey Denny,

Great Photo!!

Have you checked out the photos in The Gallery (it's under Community Links)? This is a great place to place photos. Less likely to get lost there.

BTW, you might consider placing your bio in the Member Bios section of The Gallery. Most are stroke stories. Click any photo to read the bio. Requirements are 200 - 1000 words, must include first and last name in the caption, upload a photo of you -- not pets, spouse, grandkids, etc.

I feature the new bios in the monthly newsletter. If you have any questions email or PM me.

Note the PM (Personal Message) button below the member's data in posts. Use this button if you want to send the person a PM. The Edit button is at the bottom of the posts if you need to edit something you wrote.

Hi in!

Thank you for the tips again. I'll check out the Gallery and bio thing also. I am abvelevant (sp?) about telling my story about the 6 strokes I received. An is example is a friend of mine at in Philly... about 5 years ago suffered a major stroke... can't talk, confined to a wheelchair, etc. Compared to me.... this is friend is more way inflicted. With me, in my mind, I am very on the bottom of the totem pole. I would hate to write about me and have it read by someone sitting in a wheel chair. This take in makes or any I wrong? To, more education is in order.

Thanks,

Denny

Hey Denny,

Great Photo!!

Have you checked out the photos in The Gallery (it's under Community Links)? This is a great place to place photos. Less likely to get lost there.

BTW, you might consider placing your bio in the Member Bios section of The Gallery. Most are stroke stories. Click any photo to read the bio. Requirements are 200 - 1000 words, must include first and last name in the caption, upload a photo of you -- not pets, spouse, grandkids, etc.

I feature the new bios in the monthly newsletter. If you have any questions email or PM me.

Note the PM (Personal Message) button below the member's data in posts. Use this button if you want to send the person a PM. The Edit button is at the bottom of the posts if you need to edit something you wrote.

Archived