Horrible experience...

Was taking my 9:00 meds (3 Dilantin, 2 Altace, 1 Plavix)...and then eating my cereal and orange juice. Medicine always sticks in my throat, so I keep trying to wash it down. Usually, the orange juice does the trick.

But, not this morning, I had a coughing fit like you would not believe...and horrible taste and burning in the back of my throat. Tried gurgling some water around. Drank some milk. Gurgled more water. Nothing seemed to help. Coughing some more. Horrible taste in my mouth and throat. Little pieces of medicine coughed up (though pill would have had to come apart in my throat...to cough up the inside of itl). Geez, am just now feeling a little better. Throat still hurts some though.

Anyone else ever have this sort of thing happen?

I haven't had that happen, but this morning I got bottle of water to yake meds with and as I sometimes do held it too hard with my bad hand and It came out the top, and a couple of drops spilled in my medicine for today, plavix, metformin, aspirin, multi vitimin, wellbutrin, lotrell, tenoretic, simvastatin, and boy were they bad tasting, I have to take them one at a time so I can swallow them, YUCK! I used to drink grape juice to cut the yaste of medicine but noe it upsets my stomach, Hope you never have a repeat of that happening. :hug: :dribble:

I take Robaxin 2 X/day - One nasty after-tasting horsepill. There are times when that stupid thing will not readily wah down - big time YUCK. I can emphatize with you. Hope it doesn't happen in the future to you.

No fun taking pills as it is, but then to choke on them, double whammy!!!!

Sorry about that :hug:

No joke...I don't know what the heck they put in these things (but my throat still burns on one side)...makes you kind of afraid to take them (but then you are afraid not to).

At least you know what I mean by "horrible" taste.

Thanks for responding (and have a great day:)

i too have that problem sometimes, i take 6 meds a day and swallowing them quickly to go down is tricky at times, trying not to choke and have them disolve in your throat and tasting them is horrible. i sometimes take a bite of food with the pills to get them to go down easier, they slide down better.

kanderson

Guest lwisman

Don't know if this will help anyone, but you never know. My grandmother had a terrible time taking pills. She said they stuck in her throat. She would take a piece of canned peach (I am sure other things would also work), slit the peach and insert the pill. She said it was much easier to swallow the peach because it was slick even though it was bigger than a pill.

Try swallowing them in applesauce. I took them that way for quite a long time until I was able to swallow better, and it worked prettty well. They just slid down Good luck:) :hug:

That used to be what happened everytime I took my meds. I took them with baby applesauce (stage 2). Put the pill (one at a time) in the applesauce and took them. Sometimes would require a drink of water or additional spoonful of applesauce.

Now, the taste thing happens to me when the pills stick in one of the pharangeal (spelled incrrectly) pockets on the side of my throat. It doesn't happen often but when it does, it is awful! I can feel it in my throat but cannot clear it out. The taste is the medicine disolving in that pocket. The first time this happened I think I had somewhat of a panic attack and my throat felt as if it were closing up. This all stems from the dyspahgia I have.

Archived