Tingling Sensation from top to bottom

Hello!

I had stroke on March 9, 2007. Recovered nicely and walking without cane or support.

This tingling sensation from top of head to heel is severe. Everybody says it will go away, but if you ask how long it will take, they immediately reply"Can't say, for some it will stay forever"

When I walk with sneakers, I feel I am walking with high heeled shoe for left leg. When the foot touches the ground, tingling goes all the way to thigh.

Anybody has idea approximately average how much time, say. 6 months, 1 year, 2 years like that time frame? Any body in the group experienced becoming tingling free? I am eagerly looking for that day, and will celebrate BIG.

Stimulating the skin by rubbing with towel (specially after bath) two or three times a day will speed up the process? Any other ideas?

Any research done on this subject?

Rao

HI Rao,

Welcome!

The first thing you must learn about stroke and the brain is that it has no time; each person is different. A cm. one way or the other can make a difference. Therefore, when you are told that no one can give you an exact answer is the truth. No one knows and any answer given to you could be wrong or right. Yes, this is the frustrating part. Since no one can say- "it will be exactly 6 months, a day either way" and be right. the best thing to do is forget when and think how far you've gone and be happy with each thing you've gotten. That is a positive; not a negative or questionable.

You didn't "say" the type or location of the stroke you had. Find out all you can about that will help but no- no where will you get an exact time. Sorry, but that's the way it goes.

While here, enjoy all the diffeent topics, join chat and meet outher survivors, start a blog and work hard toward further accomplishments.

See you around.

Phyllis

Welcome Rao,

Yes everyone's stroke is different, so to tell you how long it may last would only be a guess at best.

I'm 11 1/2 months post stroke and I still have tingling (on and off in my leg and foot), it may never go away and I'm ok with that.

What if it didn't go away, could you live with that? If you could, then any decrease down the road would be a bonus right?

Be patient and allow your brain time to heal.

Stu

Hi there~

I am almost 9 months post stroke and I had a tingling sensation for about 4 months after my stroke. It felt as if my left side, arm to leg, was falling asleep. One day it just went away. I'm not sure if this helps you at all or if it is the same sensation, but that was my experience. I remember it being very annoying and at times painful, luke warm baths sometimes helped me with that as well.

Good luck in your recovery and remember to be your own advocate. If you don't like the answers you are getting from one MD maybe you should seek a second opinion.

Hi there!

I had my stroke on March 10th of this year. My "tingling" began shortly after the stroke. At first it was just a warm sensation but now it is a burning sensation. I also cannot feel hot/cold or pain on my entire left side. My doctor, too, said that he could not promise that the feeling would return and the tingling/burning stop. I look around me at all the ppl in rehab and such and realize just how lucky i am. I then realize that I can live with this if I have to. Inconvenient at worst.

Good luck getting over your tingling!

:)

Hello Rao,

Welcome to the site. I have the tingling, warm, burning, one leg is longer than other problems as well. I also have severe pain from head to toes. I had a stroke to the front part of my Parietal Lobe, so my brain can't figure out what my right side is telling it. I am lucky to see, talk, and move. I've had three neuros tell me how "Lucky" I am. But I do have Central Pain Syndrome.

My symptoms started in the hospital right after my stroke. I to recovered my ability to move pretty fast. I walked with a cane for about two months. I still have some tremors in my right arm and hand, and once in a while feel like my leg won't hold me up.

I am on meds for the pain, but they don

I don't have tingling, so can't say how I would take it, my left side is mostly numb, I thought was completely numb but when neuro did test for carpal tunnel, he jabbed a needle into my arm, I can say I definitely felt that, but otherwise it is like wearing a heavy shoulder length glove, or rubbing numbing gel all over the outside of my left side, I am getting some movement back, but can kind of feel on the inside like when I get a bruise, I can feel it most of the time, even though surface feeling is absent, I think you will have to determine what makes your tingling better and go with that, I agree it is probably you getting in touch with the nerves on that side so maybe you have regeneration going on. god bless and good luck. :hug: :dribble:

Thank you all who sent replies about their experiences regarding tingling sensation. I am fortunate that my speech and memry are not affected at all and regained walking thanks to fantastic therapists in rehab. They treated me like I am a member of their family and made me walk without cane or support in two weeks.

This tingling at times severe, agree it is not big problem. I also know each case is individual and different. I am not expecting info like six months plus minus one day for this to go away. But an average like one year plus minus six months or some such thing will be helpful to visualize how I will be, hopefully some day. I also agree that may lead to frustration if it does not happen in the time frame I am hoping. I also like the suggestion that keep enjoying the achievements already made.

I also notice there is not much research on the stroke and it's effects, not as much as cancer or other serious debilitating health issues.

Basically I also want to know, is this tingling a healing a process for the body trying to establish connection to the brain? Then it is a good thing and research shall be conducted to help this healing process speed up.

I should ask these questions to my neuro. But they have no time. We have to learn ourselves.

Rao

I don't know if it from healing did you go from no feeling to tingling or has the tingling been there from the time of your stroke, If you were numb first I would think it is healing but if is been there from the beginning, it may be something that will have to heal, however I didn't get a md degree, so that is info from some one who had a stroke and never had tingling, let us know if you get any changes, that is how we have so much info we have all contributed our own experiences. :hug: :dribble:

I had some tingling burning.. on my affected side.. also severe in my calf. I talked to Dr. he changed my anti depressant .. to Cymbalta

It is used for people with diabetes to help with neuropathy.

It does help quite a bit. I still get some, but it does not seem to be as severe, unless I over do. I also take a vitamin D in the morning , a folic acid tablet and twice a day a Calcium with magnesium. You need to check with your Dr to make sure these are all ok to take with the meds you are on.

I have Central Pain Syndrome. it is not as severe as many here and there are times it flares up .. especially if I over do or get tired.

Hello Rao,

We are a group of many, that have been though what you are going though. But most of us have no "schooling" in neurology. You need to ask of your neuro your medical questions. To say that your neuro has no time to listen is a bad thing. You need to find a neuro that will make time to listen and answer your questions. Your neuro is getting paid to see you, let them earn their money.

I found my "good" one on my third try. I think she is great. She is helping me understand what happened to me. You also need this.

Al

Archived