Cold Leg any suggestions

Can anybody suggest how i can get me affected leg warmduring the day or watching the TV of a night.

Of a night i don't have any problems in keeping the leg warm whilst curled up in bed and during the night, but whilst i just resting or relaxing in the lounge chair the leg gets very cold like a block of ice. I have tried wrapping a hot water bottle next to it but it still gets very cold.

so can anybody help me please.

ken, are you able to walk on the leg? walking increases circulation. is this your affected leg that gets cold? perhaps you should check with your doctor and make them aware of it. my affectedleg gets cold like that once in awhile but not to severe. i do hope you get some answers and help with this problem. take care.

kanderson

Hmmmm? I don't know if I have a solution for you <_< But in the beginning when my leg felt cold I did leg lifts to get the blood moving. If you can move your leg, maybe try that. I wear sweat pants too sometimes. The exercising the leg helped me. I'm sorry if I was no help. :( Hopfully the other members may have something for you.

All the Best* * * * * Shirley

Ken,

If it is your affected leg you should definitely tell the doctor just to be on the safe side. However, I have found that when my leg gets really cold if I put on a leg warmer it works very well for me. You can usually get them at places where they teach dance lessons or probably order them on the internet. I have several pair that are all different colors and different degrees of thickness so I put on whatever the weather and my leg tell me I need. Maybe they would be of some help to you.

Betty Jean

Ken,

I agree with the other gals that exercise is the best as the blood needs to get circulating. I would let your doc know also. When I first experienced the stroke, I had similar issues but it has gotten better.

I find If I keep my foot warm and the air from blowing on my legs it helps me, also I make sure I don't have anything under the leg that can cut off circulation, like a hard surface with a edge, don't know if it will help you or not, but I have always heard to keep your bottom parts warm keep your feet warm and to keep your top part warm don't let your head get cold, during the winter I finally found me a little electric heater fan combo that turns back and forth, that would toasty up my bottom half if I had it blowing under a little cover on my lap. hope you get some relief, my affected side seems to cool easier than the good side.

Rachel's affected leg(right leg) is almost always colder. The doctor said it's because of poor circulation on the affected side. She uses a heating pad and that seems to help a lot. She also uses her heated blanket when she needs it. The coumadin(blood thinner) also makes Rachel prone to being cold anyway. Good luck.

You could tell the Dr and ask if a support sock. they come up to the knee would help. they help with circulation. As stated above if you can move your leg around some to get the circulation moving.

They have heated lap blankets that plug in .. If I am out in the cold my affected foot gets very cold, I use a heating pad. but you have to be careful.. if your leg doesn't have feeling you could get severe burns. always use a towel or blanket and the heating pad on top .

hey ken, i definitely agree w/

I could be way wrong here... but intigruges me that it fine in bed and not warm during the day sit it could be posture? How you sit in the recliner? Leg tucked under the other leg? sit on it? how are you dressed during the day? shrug

Guest lwisman

Check with your doctor about compression boots. I have some and they did wonders to increase circulation. I bought mine OTC. The instructions say to check with a doctor before using.

Thank you everybody, i will be seeing my physio next week (my doctors on holidays at the moment) so i will discuss it with him also.It's normally of a night when i've relaxed for the day. I've been putting a hot water bottle next to it but that gets uncomfortable after a while. i will try some leg lifts tonight and generally keep it moving. Today is very wet hear in Sydney and the leg is lovely and warm. The worst area is on the lower part of the leg around the leg and ankle. It is my affected side but i'm gradually getting more feeling down the r/h side.

Ken it's good you posted this in "the"lighter side of stroke" forum. So maybe I could suggest those pink sparkly legwarmers you see little ballerinas wear to practice...lol. I can just picture you in them or the purple ones maybe. :roflmao:

Ray has a stone cold leg in winter too and often wears one long sock to bed. We tried wrapping the leg in a small rug but he found this too confining. His is caused by lack of movement coupled with the slower blood circulation in that left leg, the stroke effected leg. He has a hot water bottle in the bed in mid winter but I leave it in the bed only until he gets in otherwise it seems to get in his way when he tries to roll over.

For sitting watching tv in winter I have a little fan heater which I focus on him so a soft flow of warm air goes past him. That doesn't help much if he moves around a lot e.g trips out the back to the bathroom. But we do our best. :cloud9:

Sue.

Archived