Strkoke Victum or Stroke Survivor

I was just wondering do you prefer stroke victim or stroke survivor? I prefer stroke victim but all my therapists say it is preferable to say stroke survivor. What does everybody think?

My opnion :2cents: is that had I not lived through the stroke, I would have been a victim. As I made it (unless it's my ghost is responding to this), I am a stroke survivor. To me, the "victim" classification has a negative connotation. I also utilized the survivor classification after I experienced and survived severe domestic violence issues. My therapists too have made reference to "survivor" as it's positive and shows that we're working at overcoming the deficits incurred with stroke.

I am a Survivor... I had a Stroke.. I will not call it "MY" it is something that happened to me... but I am not naming it or calling it mine.. it is just something that happened.. like stepping in dog doo... I Survived it, I have worked hard to OVERCOME .. and some days I feel like ROCKY..LOL

and some days I don't ... but I am still here. If you are in a plane crash and dead you are a vicitim.. if you are alive a survivor.

just my :2cents:

chuck, i think maybe alittle of both terms could qualify here. but i prefer to be called a survivor.

kanderson

Hey Chuck~

Give yourself some credit.....YOU ARE A SURVIVOR. I'm not sure of the percentage but I believe, maybe, stroke is the #3, or #4 killer of adults in the US. Don't be a victim.........be a survivor!

Good luck to you in your journey!

I was just wondering do you prefer stroke victim or stroke survivor? I prefer stroke victim but all my therapists say it is preferable to say stroke survivor. What does everybody think?

Well I perfer Stroke Survivor, if I was a Stroke Victim then I'd be dead.

Not a hard choice for me.

hey chuck:

depending on what day is and what mood I am in, I am survivor or victim the day I am throwing pity parties I am victim to stroke cause it is ruling over my day, the day I am having fun with my friends and family I am survivor enjoying life to the max.

Asha

I am a stroke survivor. But I am also a victim. I have complete right side CPS. I am taking 2400 mg a day of Gabapentin. I hurt. I am reminded that I had a stroke every minute of every day. This makes me a victim. My stroke haunts me. I can

Guest wsteinlauf

Hello! I prefer "stroke survivor" to stroke victim. We need to remember that we have survived the third most deadly killer known to mankind. As such we have a duty to be available for other survivors when they arrive.

Best Regards, WALTER

I think too many are dwelling on the death aspect of stroke. We're alive and survivors, it's just that simple.

Now how about we get on with the job at hand, living.

:Clap-Hands: I look at things from the perspective of being a stroke survivor! Being a survivor is to overcome! You ARE a survivor! And I celebrate that in you

I'm kakii, I try not to accept stroke as any part of my identity, but if I had to choose it would be survivor.

I defintly prefer survivor, I do not like to be a victim

I believe everybody here has been a victim of stroke (brain attack), just as people are victims of heart attack, cancer, etc. Victims have no control over an incident, it just happens. However, that being said everyone has a choice - either continue to be a victim, ignoring the fact that one need NOT remain in the victim mode or become the survivors we relate with daily. The victims on this site have determined to be survivors by making the choice to continue on living life to it's fullest. I believe the term "fullest" means different things to different people, depending upon the challenges that remain post stroke.

I don't know why many Chucks have such a negative attitude. According to therapists, if you call yourself a victim, you are depressed and need professional help. It does'nt matter whether it relates to cancer, strokes or any other illness. A survivor has a strong will to live, and that's important to all of us. The founder of Stroke Network is a survivor. If he had been a victim, the web site would not be successful.

Having worked in the health field for many years, I have seen the devistation of the victim attitude to the stroke survivors and their famillies.

Shayle

Survivor, definitely. The other word is not in my vocabulary.

Vi

I don't like either one. I will say "I have had a stroke." But I can't call myself a victim or a survivor. Doing that makes me feel like all of a sudden the most defining thing about me is the fact that I had a stroke. I don't want to be defined in that way. I am other things too. A wife, a mother, dedicated to my career. I am a dog owner. I like the color blue. I am addicted to coffee and am a terrible cook.

Why is it that the stroke is the defining characteristic?

I don't like that we define ourself by what we've survived. Who are we, what do we believe in, what do we do?

At the doctor's office, I am a "stroke patient" simply because it is helpful re: medical decison making. But that is not who I am. I struggle with changes post stroke, as we all do. One of those I refuse to accept is the loss of my identity.

Archived