stroke anniversaary suggestions?

Hi,

I am coming up on my stroke anniversary on July 3rd. I have been thinking about if I should be "celebrating". I went a little crazy after teh stroke and I don't want to add to peoples already concerned feelings towards me and tell them that I am "celebrating" my stroke. So I didn't want to do kind of party or anything, but wanted to celebrate somehow and am looking for suggestions.

As for what I am celebrating, I guess its two things.

1. That I am alive and have made a full recovery. (that stroke did not take anything away)

2. That I have a new appreciation for things in life. (the gifts that stroke gave me) - I feel awkward saying this in this forum because I know that there is so much that stroke has taken from peeple here on this site, and I guess the last thing people want to hear about is what stroke has given me.

So I guess I have listed what I am celebrating, and now I am looking for how am I going to celebrate it. I would enjoy hearing what others do...

thanks

John

I think it's great that you want to celebrate. as far as I think you don't have to give anyone a reason to celebrate. only if you want them to celebrate with you, I would think anyone you were close enough to would understand, otherwise you wouldn't have them there, as for us who haven't fully recovered i hope you have a better opinionof us than that, no sour grwpes her but I wishg I was close ernough to celebrate with you. so celebrate and dance to the music. even the worst offone here would still be a survivor. :Clap-Hands: :hiya: :gleam: :Dance: :dribble: :congrats:

John,

The first year following my stroke I said I wanted to celebrate by laying on a nice tropical beach working up a good melnoma, I was so caught up in therapy it actually went by like any other day, not completely without thought. It just wasn't as monumental as it was hyped to be. It is certainly a reason to celebrate a year toward recovery with hopefully no major setbacks, and we can look at it as almost our new birthday because we have a new lease on life and appreciation for it.

As far as a way to celebrate, I don't really do anything special (I just passed my second) except take the time to reflect where I was on that day "x"years ago and try to give myself some credit for how far I've come. I did suggest to my husband that maybe a trip to the jewelry store might be nice. He said Oh sure so you're going to use this as another excuse to get another high end gift out of me every year? I said oh no! the the jig is up this was my master plan all along I think I'll pop an artery in my head, undergo brain surgery, lose the use of my left arm, and go to the brink of death all for a new bracelet and pair of earrings.

Whatever you do enjoy being alive and know that all of us here are happy you are :friends:

:beer: :cocktail: :Clap-Hands: :Dance: :cheer: :clap: :congrats: :music_band:

Guest lwisman

John,

I imagine if you polled Stroke Network members you would find that most can name positive things that have come from their stroke. It certainly was a major event in my life. In fact it totally changed it. I have come to accept those changes and have learned to think positively about the future.

In a way, stroke is really not that different from any major life change. I have had several over the course of my 56 years. Each has changed my life. I prefer to relate to changes positively.

I too celebrate each year. Like Maria I tend to use it as a time to reflect on my life. I am also a big fan of going out to lunch.

I think most of us remember the day .. and pause to reflect .. happy to be alive, look at the progress we have made physically, emotionally . We apprecaite the little things in life. You could have a celebrating life party..

You don't have to feel awkard around us.. We cheer for everyone and recovery .. is as individual as the stroke.

Have a Great day... give your family extra hugs.. and enjoy.

John,

Congratulations on the upcoming anniversary as well as many more to come. It does not matter what the deficit, there is just reason to celebrate as we "survived" and are with our family and friends. Stroke met me on 1-1-05. I have subsequently had 2 anniversaries. I too have reflected how far I have come more so the 2nd year. The 1st anniversary, my kiddo and I were a tad nervous ( :Ask: wonder why).

Obviously, I was given "another chance" at being a part of this world; for that I am eternally grateful. We do not know what the future does hold so, for me, I try to take an optomistic approach - I was blessed with another year with my daughter.

So, John................................ :congrats: and celebrate good times!!!! :laughbounce: :music_band: :yay:

John,

So the trhird is your day. The first is mine and it will be 10 years now. I was on my way from Mass. to GA when I had a bleed. I was in Mass. last week at my son's wedding. Carlisle still looks green. Like you I have only small stuff from the stroke, but I am alive. That is much better than the alternative. Hope to see you in chat.

hoststephen

Hi John:

So happy for you that you will be celebrating your Stroke Anniversary on July 3rd. CONGRATULATIONS !!

As I was reading your 'post' you reminded me that TODAY, June 28, IS my 9th Stroke Anniversary. (How time flies?) We can celebrate our 'victories' together, celebrate our 'special day' but most importantly, give ALL the Honor, Glory and Praise to our Lord Jesus Christ.

Denny

I believe in celebrating my stroke anniversaries ( i've had 3). I announce it in church. I feel like the congregation all love me so I don't do too badly with my speech. I've only had one person say "Why do you want to celebrate something like a stroke?" I reply, " Because I'm still alive." :Angel:

hey John:

it took me close to 3 years to celebrate my stroke anniversary, and I celebrated with love of my life and went out for lunch. I celebrated for still able to live life with my loved ones, it does not matter to me there r still physical deficits, but I am so happy to be still mom & wife of wonderful guy.

u should definitely celebrate with ur friends & family, & y worry abt what others will think hey life is short and we all saw first handedly. let's not waste single minute about how others will think about us.

Asha

I think celebrating is a great idea- especially if you gained more than you lost by the stroke. I reacted to my Mom's stroke- in part- by getting a kayak. I like to paddle out to the middle of a lake and reflect on the serenity of the water and the blessings involved in still having her, and in my ability to drive to the lake and paddle the kayak. It makes me feel grateful.

If I were you I would try to spend the day doing the things that make you feel grateful. Maybe by doing something physical that you took for granted before, or by spending the day with the people that truly love you and that you now know will be there when you need them.

In any event- enjoy!

hi john, i agree with all of the others, celebrate if you want to and whoop it up, you did survive and recovered that in itself is a gift. whatever you decide, enjoy the day and be happy.

JOHN,

CONGRATULATIONS. I CELEBRATED THE FIRST ANNIVERSARY BY BRINGING HOME A 23 YEAR OLD HOOKER. MY WIFE SAID IF I WANTED TO LIVE TO THE SECOND ANNIVERSARY, I BETTER GET RID OF THE CUTE LITTLE WAIF.

SO NOW, I JUST LET THE DAY GO BY AS ANY OTHER. BUT I DO SEND A CONTRBUTION TO THE ADOPTION AGENCY THAT BLESSED ME WITH 2 WONDERFUL GRANDSONS, IN HONOR OF MY ANNIVERSARY.

mARTY :bouncing_off_wall:

Hi John,

You've inspired me. My stroke was last July 3rd too! I hadn't thought too much about celebrating, but what the heck, I'm still here right? I still walk a little funny, but I'm able to walk. I can't multi-task anymore but I can still hug my kids and that's more important. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger, in spirit if not in body.

A celebration is definitely in order!

:Cheers:

Carol

Hi John,

I totally think you need to celebrate your anniversary!!! I went to a fun resturant with friends and had a nice lobster with a big chocolate dessert and a Pina Colada :) Yeah dude get out there! But what I wasn't prepared for was the emotions that came with the anniversary. I thought I'd be sad and weepy but I wasn't. I felt great! Unstoppable! The second anniversary was OK, but not as fun, and I completely forgot about my 3rd. Too busy doing other stuff, which was really great too :)

No matter how you celebrate it have a GREAT ANNIVERSARY!!!! YOU DESERVE IT :) Maggie :Clap-Hands:

If you had survived any other kind of brain injury, you would celebrate. This is no different so have fun and pop a few firecrackers!

My stroke happened 1/11/05. Right side hemmorage, left side paralysis, but I'm still here, sassy as ever.

Vi

Hi John,

You gotta celebrate. We never survive a troke alone. It may be a great opportunity to thank the people around you who got you through this crisis with minimual disability. You are soooo lucky! Go out for a great meal, enjoy it slowly and with gratitude and enjoy the company you are sharing it with even if it is you alone with the waiter. I highly recommend beginning a journal because it will put your focus on the things that are important to you. You cannot have a stroke and not be changed in some way. What you choose to do with the rest of your life is up to you and celebrating life should be right up there on top every July 3 They set off lots of fireworks the next day all over the country just for you.

I say,

Have a blast

Pat :Clap-Hands:

Hi John,

My first anniversary I invited my closest friends from my church small group for lunch and prayer.

They brought veggie subs from local sandwich shop and a confection for desert. We prayed for more healing and thanked God for what He had done and was doing through the stroke experience.

Have celebrated last 4 anniversaries more quietly by myself.

It's all good.

Life is a gift.

I still cannot move/use left arm, hand. I'm working half-time and am studying to gain new credentials in my profession.

Blessings and enjoy your anniversary.

You live.

mljmsw

Molly Jones

Hi,

Today is the Big Day. I decided to celebrate by working!!!!!

Just Kidding. I am working though. I did celbrate today by buying a new digital camara. I am going to celebrate thursday by getting a message and playing golf. thanks for all of the input and I look foward to a wonderful message on thursday!!!

Thanks

John

Archived