Hello fellow caregivers....

On November 11, 2003 life as we knew it changed forever :(

My 10 month old granddaughter suffered 2 strokes and 3 weeks later suffered another stroke. The strokes affected both sides of her brain leaving her unable to speak or walk.

Although we were able to get her into OT/PT and Speech Therapy, my daughter began to research other therapies :Scratch-Head:

With much prayer and support from our family and friends and after 1 year of fundraisers, we were finally able to take her out of state where she received Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy and Conductive Education.

My granddaughter is now in school and after waiting almost 2 years, she finally started Hippotherapy :thumbup:

Although our journey has felt like we

hi elondie, i am happy you found us too. we have alot of info, hugs ang great people who help others here with our experiences. your granddaughter has been though so much in her short life but i am so glad she is where she is today. she is definite proof that miracles do happen. please keep posting to let us know how she is doing. your family will be in my prayers.

best wishes to all of you,

Elondie,

I am glad you've found us. Your Granddaughter is definitely a miracle - she has been through so much in her short life. All of us here have been impacted one way or another by stroke.

I pray for her continued recovery.

welcome to our little home on the net, hope you ciome and visit often, and come into chats also, there are a lot of great people here and I feeled blessed to be a small part of it, so glad you got her into the hippotherapy, lots of years ago I volunteered at one in dallas and watching those kids and seeing the joy on there faces was great. a friend and I volunteered to clean horses and paddock and we also were walkers when needed. :hug: :dribble:

welcome to our little home on the net, hope you ciome and visit often, and come into chats also, there are a lot of great people here and I feeled blessed to be a small part of it, so glad you got her into the hippotherapy, lots of years ago I volunteered at one in dallas and watching those kids and seeing the joy on there faces was great. a friend and I volunteered to clean horses and paddock and we also were walkers when needed. :hug: :dribble:

lady k, I also thank you for your kind words :D

My granddaughter started her Hippotherapy this January and we can already see an improvement :big_grin:

She is beginning to pull up more and is able to take some steps with assistance :Clap-Hands:

I

believe me I got so much out of the time I volunteered, I almost feel I should of paid for my time, I saw so many kids improve I loved my time there. plus I got to learn all about horses. :D :hug: :dribble:

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great web site for finding families who are sharing the same experiences. My daughter had a stroke at age 11 and she is now almost 15 and doing very well. I have gone through any type of therapy I can find for her. My thought is the more new experiences I can give her the better for her muscles, brain and morale. Luckily it seems to work!

Based on the people I have talked and our own experiences, one of the best exercises that anyone can get who has had a stroke is crawling. If your granddaughter can do this, great. It strengthens the back, the arms, plus the cross over using right arm, left leg, etc. is very good.

Wishing the best for you and your whole family.

Nancy

Nancy,

I'm glad your daughter is doing well :)

My granddaughter does crawl alone but not very often; however, when she see her OT, well, she makes her crawl :tongue:

Thanks for the wishes :thankyou: !

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to share that my granddaughter walked alone yesterday :cheer:

I know God answers prayer because I witnessed a miracle :Angel:

I have been on :cloud9: ever since!

We were able to capture her walking via video phone; needless to say, I sent out the video last night :big_grin:

:worthy: praise be to God!!

elondie, that is wonderful news, i am so happy for you and your family. bless her heart she has worked so hard in her sort life to get to this point,she has already been through more than most people will ever have to do. give her a big ((((hug)))) for me. i wish her continued progress on her recovery journey. god bless you all.

glad you are experiencing some miracles, sounds like before long you will be asking for help keeping her out of things. kudos to her. my pt was going to have me crawl but problems with my left arm wrist hand prevented it still going to try when is better. :bouncing_off_wall:

:welcome: elondie,

Great news about the walking!!! :big_grin:

My husband and I are caregivers to our daughter Rachel. She had a massive stroke on 2/17/06. She was 22. Rachel also has congestive heart failure and was growth hormone deficient at birth. She is now 4'5" tall and 90 pounds.

It's hard to believe that stroke can hit so young, but it knows no age. Like you, we are thankful for everyday. Your granddaughter is lucky to have you and your daughter to help her through.

What is hippotherapy??

I come here often for advice, good company, and oddles of information. I call my Rachel, my angel here on earth. I will pray for you all. :friends:

Thanks Lyn.

I read all the links- I wish there was a place closer to us- St. Louis the closest and that's 3 hours away. I'm going to ask locally. Thanks again-Lisa

glad you are experiencing some miracles, sounds like before long you will be asking for help keeping her out of things. kudos to her. my pt was going to have me crawl but problems with my left arm wrist hand prevented it still going to try when is better. :bouncing_off_wall:

:I-Agree: lady k...

I can't wait :lol:

I hope you will be able to crawl soon :console:

:Clap-Hands: I am so happy how well your granddaughter is doing, but also all you are doing for her too. :Clap-Hands:

Doug

Thank you Doug! It has been a difficult journey. When I start feeling sorry for myself, I just look at the real fighter :fighter: and I try to :bounce: back!

:welcome: elondie,

Great news about the walking!!! :big_grin:

My husband and I are caregivers to our daughter Rachel. She had a massive stroke on 2/17/06. She was 22. Rachel also has congestive heart failure and was growth hormone deficient at birth. She is now 4'5" tall and 90 pounds.

It's hard to believe that stroke can hit so young, but it knows no age. Like you, we are thankful for everyday. Your granddaughter is lucky to have you and your daughter to help her through.

What is hippotherapy??

I come here often for advice, good company, and oddles of information. I call my Rachel, my angel here on earth. I will pray for you all. :friends:

Thank you lisa! Whenever I tell people my grandchild had 3 strokes, they are amazed. So many people do not realize a stroke can occur at any age. I can share I was one of those people! I didn

• 3 weeks later...

Archived