Will a Dog help?

First a little back round:

My husband is 4 months post-stroke. He is improving, but now that therapy is winding down - I am stuggling to find something to occupy his time. His right side is effected - walking ok with aid of ACL and cane. His right arm is barely showing signs of movement...He is ignoringi t rather than working at it. Speech is marginal. I also have a teenager who has been 'on me' for years to get a dog. Of course - she would rather have a $1000 'accessory' dog...We are true dog-lovers, but also understand the responsibility it takes.

My dilemma is: Do I really think we can finanially take this on right now? What about the dog vs. puppy? Can my husband train/acclimate? With everything else I am juggling - can this really be something I can add to my plate?

I have seen him around friend's dogs and it seems like he enjoys the connection.

Have any of you gone to this exteem in order to give your spouse something to own/do all day? Are there other suggestions?

Susieo,

This past Christmas my husband surprised me with a miniture daschund, she was 5 months old, not really newborn pup, but because she's was mini, too small to be able to walk up and down the few stairs needed to get in and out of our house. Since she was only 7 lbs. I could put her in a shoulder bag to take her out. She can do the stairs now and that helps too. You mentioned puppy vs. dog. with a puppy aside from just training/housebreaking, there are monthly vet visits for shots and check ups which for me averaged between $100- $200 then you have to have them fixed. Also, be careful if you do buy a puppy that it from a reputable breeder, there are many puppy mills out there and you could end up with a sickly puppy and no recourse to get your money back. If you opt for a dog, there are Adopt a pet shelters nation wide from whom you can adopt a housebroken dog with all of its shots that needs a home.If you put Adopt a Pet in a search you'll bring up their website and can link to pictures of local dogs in your area to adopt. :Good-Luck:

i don't know if a dog will specifically help your husband, but dogs are actually trained for therapy because of the many beneficial effects they have on people in nursing homes etc. Look up "Therapy dogs", it will give you some insight in to the therapeutic benefits of dogs.

if you do get a dog post a picture of him,we'd love to see him

Sophie is in my gallery.

Guest lwisman

Hi Susie,

I would definitely recommend a pet. They are great company and very forgiving. LOL

When I decided to get a pet five years ago I decided against a dog because it a dog has to be walked and I have poor balance. I decided to get a cat, which has worked out great. So, my sugguestion is that you think through all the necessary activities to care for a dog (or any specific animal) and decide how it will be done. In your case, your daughter or you might have the task of walking the dog. Then again maybe your husband is now able to walk a dog or could have that as a goal.

Consider an animal which has been rescued. There are thousands of dogs and cats waiting for a home. That's what I did and it worked out great.

Hi Susie,

Get a dog. I was lucky and found my "Gem" on-line at a SPCA in northern BC. She was just around a year old and had been surrendered. They flew her down and I picked her up at the airport. I had my heart attack and stroke about a month after getting Gem and I believe she is one of the main reasons I am doing as well today.

Talk to a shelter or vet and tell them what is going on in your home and that you are looking for a companion dog for husband. There are many dogs that are just waiting for the right match and will give so much more than they will cost.

I would get an adult or close to an adult dog as they are the ones who desperately need someone to adopt them. The bond between man and dog is one that rises above human understanding.

If you want specific ideas for the type of dog send me a PM and I will gladly give my input.

Cheers,

Dickons

If you decide on getting an "accessory dog" meaning pedigree or small cutesy? I will tell you an interesting fact. Should you want a pedigree dog and a puppy. DO NOT GO TO A PET SHOP. Instead go to a breeder and explain that you are not looking for a showdog but a pet. I was told this many years ago when I called the AKC (I believe it was) for a certain breed. The man said, "we don't always get shoe dogs" and wanting to keep their line show dog quality, such a dog would not be a good breeder for them. Therefore, they sell the dogs for a lot less money and the benefit is that you have gotten a dog who was bred to good quality, whose ah-------ok mother received the best care etc.

Whatever you do though- never go to backyard breeders or pet stores because you don't know what you are getting.

BTW, those puppy shots are just for a few weeks and usually puppies come with the first series (usually 3) and then at 6 months, a rabies shot. Often, you can get a good deal on neutering or spaying.

Susie,

My daughter, also a teen and I are devout animal lovers. Pre, because of my work schedule and kiddo in school. we took a kitten into our family. Crystal is now 7 years old and a love. She has grown accustomed to "Mommy's" post issues and is very protective. We are relocating this month and my daughter wants a dog in the worse way lol. We are going to pursue adopting one from local shelter as they have so many dogs who desperately are looking for a loving home. Although my daughter would like a larger dog, we're going with a mid-size (maximum) due to too much of a risk for larger sweetie to knock me over during play or wanting to love on me. Also, at this time, for me, walking a large dog would be a disaster. As was previously suggested, contact an area shelter - they can help you with the selection process.

Good luck and please keep us posted if your "family" increases.

at the acute care rehab center I was at they had a therapy dog that was owned by the hospital she was a certified therapy dog and several of the therapists took her home plus several times we had therapy dogs visit, partially to give them training plus we were safer than a children's ward since we all were rather slow moving, less chance of getting them exited, you could tell the differences on ones who were still being trained and the old pros, so getting a dog for a therapy dog remember it won't be trained I would think a mid sized dog would be good but I have a cat, I have had her for over 9 years, plus my daughter 's 2 dogs live just outside my door, it is surprising how they quickly became protective of me when I go out. I think you may want to let your husband make the decision if it will be mainly for him. he may want one kind more than another, but therapy dogs ran the gamut from poodle to spaniels yo beagles to golden retriever. and on and on. let us know also would love pics if you get one. :hug: :dribble:

Guest bessy

:Clap-Hands: hi sisie may i make a recomadention to you being a dog owner and breeder first of al you have to look into what breed you want a big dog or a lap dog what i would say to you go to your nearest animal shelter to view the dogs up for adoption and by almeans take your husband with you and the firstand foer mot thing is let the shelter know what type of dog you are looking for thee dogs have gonr thre extensive testing for temperment as wel as becoming a family member and let the dog pick you you dont want a dog thats skiddish of a cane orwheel chair and of thunder and lightening and you can prob bet that the dog is house broken for it does take a lot of time to house break a dog im quitesure you dont want to walk aroundal day and night cleaning up puddlesthata pup would leave behind and you have to takea look into if you wanta female or male dog females make great family petsand most times the animal shelter hasalready given the dog its shots up to date and with theadoption you have to have a female spayed a male nutered as well i go out back with my dogsal the time in fact i contribute my progres to a dog as they give you unconditional love no matter what they are o ever ha;ppy to be pettedand a roof over there heads :) if need you can reach me threw the stroke net ivebeen around dog for years now before strokeas wel aafter stroke :Tantrum: thank you so much hope you consider a shelter dog because a dog from a pet shop they have to pay the over headfor rent and utilites andany other things you dont need a pure breeed dog or even a mut papers are not what makes the dog its the owner for a dog wil love you no matter what if walking bed bound home less are rich poor any color religion no matter what please by all means get back to me i can give you little hintsas to what you should look for in any dog you choose thank you for letting me but my in but when it comes to dogs i know what to look for and what to advoid in them good luck best wishes

BESSY :big_grin:

I contribute a lot of my progress on my dogs too. Muggsy would lay next to me. on the left (affected side) he would keep nudging my arm and hand to pet him.. He would get his nose under my arm/hand and get it on his back or head and i would move my fingers to scratch him. He is a minature pinscher, he was around 6 when stroke hit me. (we git him as a puppy). I also had to get up and down to let them (we have 6 doga) out.

We have 5 rural acres and they are "yard" trained. We got Mindy our Australian shephard/border collie mix from the local feed store after stroke. They are all protective of me. and watch out for my clumsy foot.

Many times a shelter or the newspaper will have dogs.. Sometimes owners are moving into an apartment or out of state and can't take the dog with them. I think a little older dog that is house trained would be excellent. Throwing a ball or frisbee, or playing with toys is excellent therapy.

May pet stores have dog training sessions, if the dog needs some training. Dogs from shelters have their shots and are spayed or neutered. The fee to adopt is for spaying, neutering etc. Most dogs are micro chipped now. Or if not many places do it very reasonable fee.

Our Banfield pet clinic has several days a week ..certain hours you can take the dog in for "well check" the dogs is seen by the vet and gets their vacations but you don't pay the "vet fee" so it is usually under $20.00.

You can check out various breeds on line by typing in the breed of dog.

Taking your husband and daughter to a shelter or rescue group and see which dogs they "bond with" There are also many orginazations that have reesue for breeds. but no matter if pirebred or mixed.. you will unconditional love.. and happiness.

hi susie. i am a huge animal advocate and find them very good therapy for a strokee. i have 2 dogs now and 4cats, they are so much company for me and good exercise. i only have the use of one hand but can walk with a cane and brace. i use a onehanded can opener to open their food. i am also able to refill their water dish and let them out 80 times a day it seems,lol. as the others have said, do not get one from a puppy mill or pet shop, there are so many out there that need good homes, (ie, aspca, humane society,shelters etc). getting a pet from the human society already has received their shots and have been fixed. so that saves you expense already. the only thing i can't do is empty the cat box,but my family helps with that. i hope you decide on a pet. keep us posted on what you decide.

Hi Susie,

As a caregiver I have a couple of thoughts about thinking of getting a pet to help your husband become more active.

First, would he really like a dog? I would not "surprise" him with an animal he is not really willing or able to care for.

Second, how mobile are you? If you travel or intend to travel, will a pet (dog) be accepted where you travel?

Third, what about emergencies? Is there someone close who will be able to watch over a dog should you have an emergency?

We have two cats. Even though it would be a great thing if Bill would let the cats in and out because it would get him up out of his chair I have to ASK him to do it. He's great for saying "what do you want?" several times to the cat who is standing at the door crying. It was a knee jerk reaction for me to go let the cat out at one time....now I ask him to do so - caregiving goes just so far.

Honestly, I look at dogs on TV and would love to have one - BUT - I know who would be walking him several times a day and even though I could use the exercise I think it would be a point of resentment so I won't do it. The other thing is that it's easier to travel without a pet. We have friends who watch the cats for us when we are away and in case of emergency there is always the litter box - although they hate it now. (Add to it the fact that our cat Roy would be highly offended if a DOG arrived at his home...it wouldn't be pretty.)

So, I think the first question to ask yourself is whether you would like a dog, and then, are you willing/able to provide the care the dog will need? Your husband may be at a point where he would enjoy a pet's companionship, but is it a reality for you to think he will be able to provide the care you envision a dog will need?

I also would encourage you to make a trip to the Humane Society to take a look at pets. Consider that if an adult dog may have "issues" and you need to really check out what those issues are before bringing him home.

Good luck to you!

• 3 weeks later...

Iam 4 years post stroke, we got a beagle mix fom humane society in March he is about4-5 yers old I don't take him for a walk too often but we have a dog walking servic come in for 1 hour per day . Then my girlfriendtakes him out 3 more times a day. Icall it pet therapy. I just Love my SPARKY.

Plus we also have 3 catsfrom Humane Society

Kent

When Rachel was in Rehab hospital last year following her stroke, a nurse told us she had kittens to give away. Of course Rachel wanted one. We decided to get 2. Those cats have been Rachel's companions ever since. They lay with her and keep her company daily. :big_grin:

I will add though that I am their primary caretaker: feeding, watering, cleaning cat litter....etc. :juggle: I don't mind since they brought great joy to Rachel. Just remember this when considering a pet.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Hi Susie,

It is a very serious question to ask. As for me, I have my rat terrier, Teddy. He has been so important to me(I have written about him in my blog).

I had him for a few years before my stroke, and raised him since he was a puppy. I could not care for him myself for 2 years after my stroke, but I finally got him back in April. Like other's have said, Teddy is very protective of me. He is terrified by thunder, but when he is with me he charges the door barking and growling fearing I am in danger. I am still in a wc, but walk him 3 times a day. I change his water, feed him with small cans that can easily be opened. Just spending time and caring for him takes my mind off others problems I might have. Any "work" I have to do to take care of him is far outweighed by the joy he brings me.

Doug

post-8488-1185724000_thumb.jpg

THERE'S NOTHING LIKE UNCONDITIONAL LOVE FROM ANYONE. AND PETS KNOW HOW TO DO IT. THEIR COMPANIONSHIP IS INVALUABLE. BUT IT'S A MAJOR COMMITMENT. WE HAD THE FIRST CAT FOR 12 YEARS AND SHE TRAVELED ALL OVER WITH US. AFTER SHE DIED FIVE YEARS AGO, WE WENT BACK TO THE HUMANE SOCIETY AND GOT ANOTHER ONE. HE TOO, WENT ON EVERY VACATION. HE NOW HAS A KIDNEY DISEASE AND WON'T BE WITH US MUCH LONGER. SO THERE ARE SOME NEGATIVE FINANCIAL AND EMOTIONAL THINGS THAT NEED TO BE CONSIDERED ALSO. I'M NOT ONE TO POO-POO THE IDEA, BECAUSE OF ALL THE JOY AND COMPANIONSHIP I'VE HAD FROM BOTH PETS.

SO AFTER SEVENTEEN YEARS, MY WIFE AND I WILL BE ABLE TO TRAVEL, PET FREE. GIVE THE WHOLE PICTURE CAREFUL CONSIDERATION. IF IT WORKS FOR YOU, PROCEED. I SHOULD MENTION THAT I FEED, WATER AND KEEP THE LITTER BOX CLEAN. HE CHOOSES TO SLEEP WITH MY WIFE. I WANTED A DOG AT ONE TIME, BUT THE HUMANE SOCIETY WOULD NOT TAKE MY WIFE IN TRADE. OH WELL..................

MARTY :big_grin:

Guest lwisman

I hire a pet sitter who comes each day when we are gone and feeds the cat, checks water, cleans the litter box and plays with the cat. She will bring in mail and open and close curtains so it looks like someone is there if you want her to. I would rather she spend 30 minutes playing with the cat. Our neighbors have dogs and their sitter takes them for two walks a day. My niece hires her neighbor who is a teenager who she trusts and the cat knows.

My point is that just because you are going to be gone does not mean the animal cannot stay home. Marty, I know you go away for the winter which seems like a long time. We did go away for 3 weeks 2 years ago and the cat did fine. Of course when we got home she would not leave me alone for four days. :D

Archived