Do you consider yourself disabled?

Yesterday I went to a parade called "Disability Pride Parade" in downtown Chicago. It had several thousand participants and most of them had some form disability from autism, to stoke, to amputees, the list goes on. I don't know about the rest of you but the label of "disabled" somehow bothers me. It sets us apart from the general population. I would prefer something like handicapped. I looked up the definition of disabled and it fits but somehow the term bothers me. What do the rest of you think?

Chuck,

There's a big difference in the connotation of disabled if you are reading it defined as a verb or a noun

verb., 1. to make unable or unfit; weaken or destroy the capability of; cripple; incapacitate.

2. to make legally incapable; disqualify

I agree that's pretty ugly

noun., persons who are crippled, injured, or incapacitated

not great, but not horribly offensive

Sorry I'm an English teacher I couldn't help it :)

I'll just stick to I'm a gimp with a limp

HI NEIGHBOR,

I FEEL FORTUNATE. I AM HANDICAPPED WHEN I PULL INTO A PARKING SPACE BECAUSE THE SIGN SAYS SO. I AM DISABLED WHEN I CAN'T DO A SIMPLE CHORE OR WALK CORRECTLY. BUT, I THINK EVERYBODY ELSE IS HIDING SOMETHING, EITHER MENTALLY OR PHYSICALLY, SO I FIT RIGHT IN WITH THE REST OF THE WORLD.

LABELS MEAN NOTHING, ONLY TO THOSE WHO NEED OR WANT TO USE THEM. I AM WHO I AM, GOOD, BAD, EVIL, HANDICAPPED, DISABLED, ABNORMAL, CRAZY, AND THE LIST GOES ON. JUST COLOR ME HAPPY.

MARTY :big_grin:

hi chuck, i think i would prefer the term disabled because i am, although both terms apply, i guess. i always relate the handicapped term to golf,lol. which i can't do either. so i am a disabled survivor.

Interesting question!

I've honestly been wrestling with this for a while now. Noone has ever referred to me as 'disabled'. I don't like to accept the term, but how do you really define it?

I can walk, but I'm slow and a bit crooked. I can write and speak, file my own taxes and balance my own checkbook. It's just a lot harder than it used to be. I can drive, but not my hubby's stick-shift. I don't have a disabled placard on my car, but I never asked for one. I run my own small hobby business, but couldn't hack a 'real' job.

Am I disabled? or maybe a "half-bubble off plumb" is more accurate? :head_hurts:

Carol

An excellent topic! Do I consider myself disabled. The fact say yes. But it isn't that simple is it? I got my first placard when my fibromyalgia got really bad. But I didn't think about being disabled, just a bit challenged. Following the strokes, i got a handicap liscense plate which felt like admitting I was truly disabled. I can walk, but must look like I am drunk. It takes all of my strength to go a block. I long for the years now gone, when I was young and walk where ever and when ever I wanted.

It is hard, I think, for any of us to admit we have a disability. I use a scooter for distance and travel and I love it! In some respects, I believe I am significantly mentally disabled in some areas. I am just happy most people will never see those hidden disabilities. When I used to struggle down the sidewalk with my cane, I dubbed myself "The village idiot" a term that really offended my husband. He was right, that's a pretty rotten thing to say - even about myself.

For me, I hate being disabled, but am not going to waste any of my precious energy on railing against it. This is my life.

Miss Linnie

Disabled? No, and I'd say only a few here could say that they are disabled - if that. We are all able to do something even if we do it poorly.

Handicapped? well, just as everyone else is - yes, even the so called "normal" people people have a handicap when they can't do something. Is anyone going to say they can do every single thing?

The other word- "Normal". What is that? Everyone has some faults.

Bad thinking on the part of the planners.

I agree wholeheartedly with Marty's reply. Also, I am physically challenged from the stroke deficits. I am many things.....still a loving and caring person, loving and supportive Mom to my daughters (1 2-legged, 1 4-legged), loving Sister, Aunt, Cousin, and Friend.

I have changed from the stroke in some ways - in other ways, I've improved.

Guest bessy

very good topic i dont consider my sepf handi capped even though i have been given that classafaction by the piblic who see you in a wheel chair and just stare we al are just a little pgycially challanged but one never knows whats right round corner i stil feel there is a lot that is not know about strokes the who whys what whersand whens i neer knows for if i had crystal ball i would make a million $ but im just the same me een though i did have a strokw we are stillpeople and have feelings be them good or bad i am determined to over come this with th hard work that i have all ready done andthe hard work that i know is still ahead of me for i am not going to gie into the stroke deamon with out a fight on his her hands thank you al very much for letting me post here

BESSY :big_grin:

good discussion, am i disabled? yes do I consider myself disabled yes and no, I accept that label because certain things come with it that at this time I need, in my mind no, I am able to do everything I really want to , no it is not as easy and some I choose not to expend the energy trying to do, the ones that I do want to do and feel the price is worth it for me, i will do, in my mind and heart I would rather thin of myself as a Christian, :happydance:

I prefer to consider myself unable instead of disable cause most things (functions) I am able to do just a bit slower or one sided, handed, or legged. Unable to function at the speed of others who has no loss of motor functions.

"Dis" associated with any other word gives me the impression of no longer associated. Like discharged, dismantled, disinterested or dislocated meaning the once togetherness has become severed in some form or fashion.

By and large the implication of the word(s) are what you feel individually regarding your physical or mental state of mind on any given day.

Like singing songs with music instruments we call country, blues, classical or R&B. Take away the voices we call it jazz but it's still music to our ears unless of course our ability to hear has been loss. Just my opinion on being referred to as disabled.

hi Chuck, i also went to the parade yesterday w/ my son and brother. we had a blast,we also went to the post rally at the Daley cntr,great entertainment! to answer your question i think of myself as a person w/ a disability-i guest some would say thats the same but,i think its a lil different. :big_grin: .i just dont like the label of disabled but who cares what peopke call us,we know who we are and what we can and cant do, i'm not disabled in everything, we also walked in the parade a little w/ the rehab institute of chg...... well take care Ima from chi-town.

Dear Friends,

I like the description found in Wikipedia:

"A disability is a condition or function judged to be significantly impaired relative to the usual standard of an individual or their group. The term is often used to refer to individual functioning, including physical impairment, sensory impairment, cognitive impairment, intellectual impairment or mental health issue. This usage is associated with a medical model of disability. By contrast, a human rights or social model focuses on functioning as an interaction between a person and their environment, highlighting the role of a society in labelling, causing or maintaining disability within that society, including through attitudes or accessibility favoring the majority. Disabilities may come to people during their life or people may be born disabled.

Common usage refers to 'a person with a disability' or a person who is 'disabled' or, more controversially, who is 'handicapped', 'differently abled', 'retarded', 'lame', 'handi-capable' or a 'cripple'. Some prefer to only refer to specific 'disabilities' rather than to a generalized sense of 'disability'."

I believe any person living and/or travelling in the US using this site has benefitted from the Americans with Disabilities Act. A friend from years ago once visited a grocery store in my home town. She used a wheelchair to maneuver outside her home since she was a polio survivor who had mobility challenges, and as many of us do, found herself in need of using the public restroom. I knew the store well, and the restroom was a challenge for the able bodied and impossible for anyone using a wheelchair. The owner of the store was known for his obstinance and arrogance. She was a member of our state's committee to develop the Americans with Disabilities Act provisions and was a wonderful advocate. She immediately found the owner and within a few short months the store was remodeled to include accessible restrooms. She chose to use her disbility as a positive force for change!

We use a "disabled persons" parking placard, my husband receives social security disability insurance benefits, disability benefits from Veterans Affairs and disability retirement compensation from his former employer. His disabilities do not make him unloveable, disrespected nor is he devalued as a human being . He is, however, less able to function as he once could.

My handicapped bus service transports disabled people like me as well as intellectually handicapped adults who work for a living. I used to get a kick out of my driver when she would tell me that her next stop was to pick up the intellectuals from work.

To me disabled implies temporarily. As in many situations in life: This too shall pass.

best,

Pat

Hi again

I write the monthly StrokeNet emagzine's "Fuel for the Journey" article. Since reading all of your comments, I have decided to write my next article about being disabled. If possible, I'd like even more input as this article concerns all of us, not just me. I'd also like to quote some of you. Chuck really started a stream of post filled with differing ideas and much wisdom.

Miss Linnie

Hello!

Yes, I do consider myself disabled, but only in the contsxt of the outside world because in order to recieve certain things such as disablty from Social Security and the ever handy handicapped sign for your vehicle, it is an unfortunate label that I must accept inorder to function in society without stares or ignorant attitudes.

I also consider myself as challenged - the stroke happened for a reason, as do all things I believe and as a survivor I am trying to rise up to that challenge every day.

A term that I came across not too long ago is "differently abled" - which I think goes along with Donna's post - I cannot do some things that I used to so I channel my enerhies into the things I can: being a wife and mother to a fabulous 13 yr old.

Everyone is different whether they have a stroke or not, some of us just have that term "disabled" apply to us so that socirty as a whole can justify that some of things things it provides are warranted -if that makes any sense.

Sending good thoughts and wishes always,

Mel

Mel

I think you are right on. For the purpose of SS, ins, etc I accept the term of "disabled'. I also agree your term of 'differently abled' Thank you for you're post and to all of that responded. I agree with all your comments. You have given me much to ponder. As if I didn't have enough to think about already.

noun., persons who are crippled, injured, or incapacitated

I'll just stick to I'm a gimp with a limp

Me too ;)

Below are the medical models I had the pleasure of memorizing in school (here is a link if you are intersted in a more detailed definition/explanation http://www.umshp.org/pt/disablement.htm). I believe we all have disabilities (I'm left handed. Studies have shown that this is a right handed world and individuals that are left handed have a shorter life expectancy). I use the term disability on occasion but I'm not of fan of disabled (As a clinician this means I have stopped trying to find a solution). I personally believe that adaptation is the key to any disability. By this I do not mean accept the impairment or functional limitation but find a way that allows an individual to recover. Now we have to define 'recovery'. I have been working the last three years to find an acceptable definition. Here is what I have come up with (sorry for the soap box and straying from the topic).

I.First and foremost everyone needs to understand and agree with 'Recovery' as defined by this program. I have not seen this in writing so I say we take the opportunity to create an all encompassing definition. If we can not agree on this there is no need ( in my opinion) to move forward

- 'Recovery at its simplest and indeed in its essence is about nothing more or less than the recovery of life itself. It is about getting back something of value (life), not merely giving up something that is strongly desired (walking, independence, B&B, sexual function

Ok Wild Willy.. For one you are "high jacking" this topic into something different than what was begun. I see the person starting this topic as asking other Survivors their opinions. not a defination from a "clinician"

Recovery is a different topic nothing to do with the original question.

QUOTE:

(I.First and foremost everyone needs to understand and agree with 'Recovery' as defined by this program. I have not seen this in writing so I say we take the opportunity to create an all encompassing definition. If we can not agree on this there is no need ( in my opinion) to move forward)

WHO NEEDS TO FIRST AND FOREMOST AGREE? MOVING FORWARD TO WHAT? WHAT PROGRAM? WHERE ARE YOU GOING WITH THIS.

We are not following you, we are NOT your guinea pigs. This site is for and about Stroke Survivors, Caregivers. We have a VOLUNTEER medical team to answer questions. If you would like to volunteer or Post Questions for Survivors to answer for some paper or project you are working on then state that fact.. then those who want to answer will.

Recovery to Stroke Survivors may mean many diferent things. I belive acceptance and recovery go hand in hand with Survivors.

BStockman

Stroke Support Coordinator

I

I would like to apologize. I should have clarified many of my comments. I have been trying for the past 3 years to help develop and define recovery based programs for individuals who have suffered SCI (Center for Spinal Cord Injury Recovery) and more recently individual who have suffered a CVA. While searching for a definition of recovery I came across definition on the web site that I linked. It really struck me that there was a great similarity to how an alcoholic and many physicians/therapist see recovery (I

Archived